Menu

Has Amazon ruined you?

BlsdMama

Just so ya'all know, this morning's conversation takes the cake for poor customer service.

It will be a VERY cold day before I ever consider ordering from Christianbook ever again.  You know, since they blamed me for their mistake.... 

And then sent me an email reiterating it was my fault.

So, here's how this went:

I call and ask if my order has shipped.  No.

I ask why I never received any confirmation of order.  Well, they have the wrong address associated with the order.

Wait.  Which address?

It"s [email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script>

What?!  Okay, so we DID have this email.  We did.  When we had FIVE people in our family.  Since we have 13 now, you can imagine this was a while ago.  

So I ask a reasonable question - did their system make an error because I NEVER would have used this email.  Ever.  Well, not since at least 2004.

No.  It could not be their error.  It is mine.  Well, no, no it's not.  So, okay it is Paypals.  Now, hold on.  My Paypal address and email is associated with my previous business. It's kept up to date.  Moreover I use my Paypal debit a hundred times a month.  Please tell me how there has NEVER been an error in the past 13 years and thousands of transactions.

Not only this but I provided them with the correct email and phone number so certainly they would not have been dependent on Paypal's information.

But, just in case, I called Paypal.  Were there ANY other email addresses anywhere on my account?  Nope.  Just my accurate email.

So, as a recap, let's see:

1. They failed to ship in a timely manner.

2. They actually ran out of the item I ordered ( a damaged version of the book I wanted and was lower priced) but did not contact me to exchange item.

3. They held my other item rather than ship it alone.

4. They did not contact me with the provided email NOR the provided telephone number.

5. They did not apologize.

6. More than just NOT apologize, they blamed me on the phone.

7. They then followed it up with an email letting me know how I could avoid problems in future orders by fixing my Paypal email address.  Not kidding.  

Someone tell me this is not the way they usually do business.  I promise to NEVER complain about anything at Amazon again.  

Yikes! That's not normal in my experience. I ordered from them last week the same day as Rainbow Resource and did not pay expedited shipping. My books were shipped the next day and arrived before Rainbow Resource sent me a ship notice. I also accidentally ordered two books I didn't want from ChristianBook. I think it's because I had saved them at some point and they got dumped in my cart when placing the order and I just didn't notice. Partially their fault but I guess also mine since I didn't notice it added to the cart? 

They said they'd send me a postage paid envelope to return them. They've usually been pretty helpful. I've dealt with some super horrible customer service people at Amazon lately. Including one threatening to charge me for items THEY sent me that I didn't order and demanding I have to deal with returning them. It wouldn't have been such a big deal to me if the Amazon rep hadn't been such a jerk about it. But I shouldn't have to deal with stuff they wrongfully mailed to me. 

:lol:  I had a funny experience at the local Home Depot this past Spring. I had bought some plants, and one of the nursery workers was helping me out to my car. I already had some plants from a nursery in the back, and the nursery guy was enthralled with the unusual plant I had. It was bleeding heart/dutchman's breeches/dicentra/lamprocapnos million-name plant. Common. Native to the area. Then came the punch line--"We see some stuff here that even the experts don't know about. We got in a house plant last week--it's called a spider plant. None of us had ever seen anything like it!"  :huh:

SaveSave

Yeah, it's definitely a no experience needed position.

I worked in an actual nursery/craft store for a few years in my teens. I didn't know jack about jack.  (I did take the time to learn a respectable amount in order to make my job easier, but not a whole lot!)

Yikes! I order from Christianbook at least once a year since the beginning of time itself, and I've never had a problem with them. You really need to elevate this example of poor customer service to their management team. That's just pathetic.

I agree. I don't have time to go too far for certain items. We even buy car parts, plumbing supplies, and even sinks and a shower door for a remodel. There's really not a good ladies' clothing store here either.

Same here.

We just got our bed and mattress from Amazon. The other thing is that buying for 4H is so much easier. Local stores will only have one bottle of rubber cement or only one of each color of display board, or one package of exacto knife replacement blades, etc. I used to have to drive to numerous places just to get enough of basic supplies for fifteen students. Now I can order it all, and have not wasted the gas and time. The worst thing is we tried to get the local hardware store to order in bulk because we would really like to give them the business, but they weren't interested.

I think of it a lot like the good ole days of the Sears Robucks or Montgomery Ward catalog. Sure, the "catalog" is online, but the concept of long distance ordering kind of has an "Old West" feel to it. :D

I am just glad that it doesn't have come by Pony Express!

Blsdmama, that is one BAD customer service experience!! Grrrrrrrrr

• Like 1

Oh and today when I called about a delayed item they just refunded me the cost of the item ... like super easy and while I still don't have my item. I also will get it and no longer paid for it. Since it wasn't time sensitive this was an acceptable resolution.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My dh orders astronomy supplies and recently he ordered another telescope. He ordered from a certain company because it said they had it in stock. He paid extra for expedited shipping. We were going to a weekend star party at a TN state park and he wanted it for that. It doesn't arrive on time. He contacts them, they say they didn't have a working one available- the optics were wrong and they were trying to fix them. Long story short- he got it after that weekend and throughout the time, the website kept saying it was available. Now we are having similar issues with a filter that he ordered. I don't mind slow shipping if I am not paying for it and am advised about it and choose to buy anyway. Like the filter issue is not as infuriating to my dh as the original telescope issue. (I believe he ordered from a different company for the filter.)

As to ordering online or shopping, for disabled people like myself, easier online shopping is a true blessing. I do like going shopping in person also but it isn't something I am always or usually able to do.

To some degree, yes. Prime shipping is addictive. On Amazon, I hardly bother with anything that is not prime unless I really want it and cannot get it elsewhere. Some items are only available at other places and when I recently ordered something from Zulily, it seemed ages until it arrived. It was probably 1.5 weeks or so.

• Like 1

Yes, in some ways Amazon has ruined me... I don't like to pay for shipping and I don't like to pay so much for items I know are less on Amazon. I got a flyer this week that my nearest B&N is having some teacher appreciation days in August. That's 25% off retail price. But that isn't a bargain on several of the items.

I do think you should expect fast shipping when you pay for it. And complain if you don't get it. Maybe they can refund you some of it.

• Like 1