Menu

Has Amazon ruined you?

BlsdMama

Made an order on Monday for two items.  I wanted it ASAP.  It wasn't available on Prime so I ordered from this company and paid an extra $9.99 (and behind that, "estimated delivery Wednesday, 7-19-17) and now I am a little disgruntled.  After I completed my order there was a BizRate quiz all about what were my priorities - shipping speed, shipping cost, etc.  It *seemed* as though the company was trying to figure out the impact of free or lower cost expedited shipping.  

Today is Wednesday.  I thought it was odd I hadn't received a shipping or tracking number.  I was unable to track the order in their system.
I went to Paypal (glad I paid through them) to track my order and see it still is marked "pending' which means: We haven't boxed up your stuff yet so that extra $10 we shipping you, yeah, it isn't coming today.

I'm frustrated.

Ten years ago I would have expected to get my item a week from an order.  I think Amazon ruined me?  Or is it reasonable that when you click that extra charge WITH the estimated date that it AT LEAST be shipped by that date?

:(

• Like 9

I'd be disgruntled too. I just yesterday cancelled an order from one store because it had been over a week since I ordered an 'in stock' item, which my account order status changed to 'on order from supplier.' Rang to enquire, was told another 2 weeks!!! Yeah, no. Not amazon's fault here, just poor communication from professionals.

• Like 4

I cannot stand paying for expedited shipping and then not receiving it.  So in your shoes I would be very angry.

I just ordered some books on Amazon and am peeved that they aren't available for same day delivery.  So I don't know about you, but I have certainly been spoiled by free same day delivery.  It should be noted that these books are not needed for a few more weeks so it isn't like I'm being inconvenienced, I just want same day shipping because that is what I have become accustomed to.

• Like 7

Yes, so frustrating. Amazon spoils us.

Tuesday my electric toothbrush died. I knew that Tuesday and Wednesday were busy days, but thought I could have DH go to Wal-Mart because he had a Home Depot run yesterday. I looked on the Wal-Mart website, and they didn't have anything of the type and price range I wanted.

So I ordered from Amazon, and it arrives today, next day delivery. DONE!

• Like 2

When I lived in a major city where Amazon offered two *HOUR* shipping... boy, that ruined me.

I have it here. There's a large distribution center near the airport. It does ruin you. They're also offering Fresh which I haven't used yet. I expect when (or if) the Whole Foods merger occurs, I'll use it more. I already select most of my groceries online for pick up. Having two toddlers makes grocery shopping painful.

• Like 2

Yes, so frustrating. Amazon spoils us.

Tuesday my electric toothbrush died. I knew that Tuesday and Wednesday were busy days, but thought I could have DH go to Wal-Mart because he had a Home Depot run yesterday. I looked on the Wal-Mart website, and they didn't have anything of the type and price range I wanted.

So I ordered from Amazon, and it arrives today, next day delivery. DONE!

Amazon also spoils you when trying to locate items. As an example, the aerators on our water faucets failed. I went to Home Depot and couldn't find the replacement. The Home Depot employee didn't know what I was talking about and while he could point me to the aisle, didn't know how to look up the equivalent part. I had to do a search on my phone. Since Home Depot is known for their employees' knowledge, it was a frustrating experience. I went home and after entering the part number, purchased the replacement parts on Amazon.

• Like 9

I'm right there with you. I ordered something (not Amazon) and paid for two day shipping because it was a gift and I was late ordering. When it didn't arrive I contacted customer service and was told that when it shipped it would indeed get there in two days. But that expedited shipping doesn't buy me expedited processing so expect it to be a week after ordering before it's delivered.  Grr...

Ds was late ordering a gift for his sister- nail polish from Korea. He sent a text asking if I thought he should pay for expedited shipping. This was Sunday and her birthday was yesterday!  So I do think Amazon has definitely spoiled him!

They do grocery here too.  But then all the grocery stores do and they are much less expensive. 

I'm in a dead zone when it comes to grocery delivery.  I can order online, but still have to drive 20 minutes there, go inside to get my stuff, and drive 20 minutes back.  And I consider that a crummy burden.

(Which then makes me feel like a completely pathetic human being.  Why can't I be a pathetic human being WITH grocery delivery, please?!)

• Like 6

Yes, Amazon has ruined me.  When I order form other companies and 3 days have passed I start to get very antsy.  I'll look up my order because it will seem like FOREVER has gone by since I ordered.  Why isn't it here yet?  OH, yeah, it's been 3 days and I chose 5-7 day shipping. 

• Like 4

Same day delivery from amazon ruined me.  I ordered something for ds from another company because there was a significant savings and i didn't need it immediately.  The item won't be here for another week.  I am getting a little twitchy about it.

I am not totally ruined because my dh orders stuff we don't need immediately direct from china all the time.  Literally, on a slow boat from china.

• Like 2

Not much.  We shop online very rarely compared to most of y'all since we're old fashioned and prefer supporting our local stores.  I'd never pay for Prime.

That said, there is a little bit of spoiling - like being able to order used college books or birthday presents and sending them directly to their recipients instead of wrapping and boxing them here or finding something I can't get at a local store including "old" equipment parts.

But if I'd paid for expedited shipping, I'd expect it and be complaining if I didn't get it.

Not much.  We shop online very rarely compared to most of y'all since we're old fashioned and prefer supporting our local stores.  I'd never pay for Prime.

My local stores where I can get the things I order from Amazon are stores I do not care to support. I'd much rather give my money to Amazon than my options here. Mom and Pop stores usually excluded. 

• Like 2

My local stores where I can get the things I order from Amazon are stores I do not care to support. I'd much rather give my money to Amazon than my options here. Mom and Pop stores usually excluded. 

To each our own.  ;)

I got a chuckle out of thinking I'm heading to the store in half an hour (takes me 8 minutes to get there).  In about an hour (maybe less), I'll be back with my purchases.  To me, that's far quicker than waiting a day.

Yesterday we went clothes shopping.  Two hours in the store and we have our clothes plus know they fit... and we got a Chick Fil A supper in plus a movie afterward.  Beats cooking here at home after shopping online (to me).

But obviously YMMV.  I was merely answering the OPs question the way it works for me.

Yes. I like Target. But, I don't know how it  can survive.  I went to Target for some mini- dv cassettes .  Young clerk in electronics had no idea what was I was talking about (well it is old school).  I told her I saw it on Target on-line. No offer to order or locate stock at another store..  Went home, checked Target site again-- not in stock in my area, but available by shipping.   4 cassettes for $10, plus $8 shipping. No free store pick-up.   Checked Amazon.  5 cassettes for $12, with free shipping.  

• Like 3

To each our own.   ;)

I got a chuckle out of thinking I'm heading to the store in half an hour (takes me 8 minutes to get there).  In about an hour (maybe less), I'll be back with my purchases.  To me, that's far quicker than waiting a day.

Yesterday we went clothes shopping.  Two hours in the store and we have our clothes plus know they fit... and we got a Chick Fil A supper in plus a movie afterward.  Beats cooking here at home after shopping online (to me).

But obviously YMMV.  I was merely answering the OPs question the way it works for me.

For me, Amazon just makes more sense.

I actually like browsing Target, Staples, Michael's, a few clothing stores, and OMG, I love to hang out in Lowes!  But they're all a good 40 minutes or more away, so I feel like I have to make the most of the drive by hitting up multiple stores in one trip (and driving in between most) so it takes up such a large chunk of a day... and "makes" me buy things I wasn't specifically looking for.

But I almost never buy clothes online.  Too risky, size wise.

• Like 1

Yes. I just placed my first Zulily order yesterday, and I understand from talking to others who've shopped there that I should just put the order out of my mind because it will seemingly take forever to arrive, especially if you're used to Prime speeds.

I immediately "forgot" about my order so I wouldn't get all antsy about it.

It took about a month for it to arrive.

I think student prime has ruined my dc. DD was talking about never needing to go to a store because she can get fresh vegetables and milk delivered. And of course she can get all books, clothes, toiletries, to you name it delivered.

Her school is in a decent sized city. I'm starting to rethink sending her with a car this year even though she will live off campus.

Yes. Other companies are frustrating in comparison.  I don't think that competition is a bad thing for consumers though, even if it does make it difficult for some small businesses.

Amazon also spoils you when trying to locate items. As an example, the aerators on our water faucets failed. I went to Home Depot and couldn't find the replacement. The Home Depot employee didn't know what I was talking about and while he could point me to the aisle, didn't know how to look up the equivalent part. I had to do a search on my phone. Since Home Depot is known for their employees' knowledge, it was a frustrating experience. I went home and after entering the part number, purchased the replacement parts on Amazon.

I would expect that to change.  Last spring we bought some flooring at Home Depot and the department manager said he had just been demoted to regular employee. They were in the process of demoting all the experts and cutting their pay.  Effectively driving out all of the people with any knowledge who were capable of finding a better job.  Apparently most people get advice from YouTube now so they saw it as an effective cost cutting measure. Sigh.

I would expect that to change. Last spring we bought some flooring at Home Depot and the department manager said he had just been demoted to regular employee. They were in the process of demoting all the experts and cutting their pay. Effectively driving out all of the people with any knowledge who were capable of finding a better job. Apparently most people get advice from YouTube now so they saw it as an effective cost cutting measure. Sigh.

Oh geez. If you have those knowledgeable people at your store, why would you cut out the thing that distinguishes you from an online retailer or the cheaper place down the road?

To be fair, I guess I never really felt the Home Depot employees were all that knowledgeable here. When it comes to faucet parts or other things like that, I go to the local Ace Hardware. They always know what I need even with my "totally don't know what I'm talking about" descriptions. Granted, most of those guys look like they're probably retired and this is their post-retirement job so when they retire-retire I'll be out of luck.

• Like 5

I use Amazon a lot, since we live in a very small town far away from cities and malls and Targets.  I do feel sorry for smaller businesses that are trying to make it.  They sure have a lot of competition.

I must admit that there have been times mid-winter when I need one small thing -- maybe shampoo, and I don't want to shovel my driveway and clean the ice off the car and go out in the frigid weather for just one thing (even though I could definitely get shampoo in our town!  :))  And, I've actually ordered it on Amazon instead! 

Oh geez. If you have those knowledgeable people at your store, why would you cut out the thing that distinguishes you from an online retailer or the cheaper place down the road?

To be fair, I guess I never really felt the Home Depot employees were all that knowledgeable here. When it comes to faucet parts or other things like that, I go to the local Ace Hardware. They always know what I need even with my "totally don't know what I'm talking about" descriptions. Granted, most of those guys look like they're probably retired and this is their post-retirement job so when they retire-retire I'll be out of luck.

:lol:  I had a funny experience at the local Home Depot this past Spring. I had bought some plants, and one of the nursery workers was helping me out to my car. I already had some plants from a nursery in the back, and the nursery guy was enthralled with the unusual plant I had. It was bleeding heart/dutchman's breeches/dicentra/lamprocapnos million-name plant. Common. Native to the area. Then came the punch line--"We see some stuff here that even the experts don't know about. We got in a house plant last week--it's called a spider plant. None of us had ever seen anything like it!"  :huh:

SaveSave

• Like 8

You should get a refund. When you pay an extra $10 for quick ship, and then they do not bother to process the order, they should refund you. And it is not about Amazon ruining you. THEY made the promise of quick ship and then did not do it. 20 yrs ago, this would have ticked me off.

• Like 1

:lol: I had a funny experience at the local Home Depot this past Spring. I had bought some plants, and one of the nursery workers was helping me out to my car. I already had some plants from a nursery in the back, and the nursery guy was enthralled with the unusual plant I had. It was bleeding heart/dutchman's breeches/dicentra/lamprocapnos million-name plant. Common. Native to the area. Then came the punch line--"We see some stuff here that even the experts don't know about. We got in a house plant last week--it's called a spider plant. None of us had ever seen anything like it!" :huh:

Save

Save

:lol: How old was he? It seemed like every household I knew of during my childhood in the eighties had one of those! Edited by Forget-me-not
  • Like 3

yes - amazon has spoiled me.   and I had to order a new power cable - and they had same ay shipping along with another item with same day shipping. .  so I got them same day.  that said, many things I don't need in two days . . . I'd be happier if they offered the money on books/or rental movies instead of amazon fresh . . . or amazon pantry (neither of which I use, nor will I.)  but they haven't, so I don't.

but I have had to order things from other sites - and I have paid extra to get it faster.  so, If I paid extra to get it faster - and it didn't come, it'd be irked.

• Like 1

Then came the punch line--"We see some stuff here that even the experts don't know about. We got in a house plant last week--it's called a spider plant. None of us had ever seen anything like it!" :huh:

Save

Save

😂 I have 3 spider plants in my kitchen. I didn't realize there were people who had never seen one.

• Like 3

Amazon has not ruined me, it has liberated me! We live an hour away from a modest city and though it has the major chain stores, the stock is low and slim pickings. We are almost two hours from Detroit. I always had to drive the minimum of an hour to get even really basic things because the only place to shop in the county is Wal-Mart and again due to the economy here, they are limited stock, and often out of the items they are supposed to carry.

So I spent $12.00 gas plus two hours of commuting in order to get ordinary things, and then a crazy amount of running around the city for less than ordinary items. Now I order and it arrives. According to the post office and UPS, Amazon has been the reason that several new full time positions were added. These are jobs with a living wage and health benefits. Wal-Mart here has almost NO full time jobs because they do not want to pay benefits. So I consider it a win for the community that so many people are ordering a lot from Amazon.

We don't always have a need for two day, so sometimes when they offer $1.00 audible credits for choosing five day, we do that because Dh and the boys love to have audio books for our road trips.

If you pay for expedited shipping and do not get it, you absolutely have a right to a refund!

• Like 8

If I am honest I would say they have ruined me. I never want to pay shipping. I search the Internet for free shipping promo codes if I have to order somewhere else. I expect tracking numbers and easy returns. I have been completely Amazonified and I know it will bite me in the butt once they take over the world and no longer have any competition.

• Like 6

I had the exact same experience. We spent 30 minutes looking for an item but never found it. The employee gave recommendations for aisle numbers. I turned to my kid and told him this is the reason people just order from Amazon.

• Like 1

Same here. I LOVE amazon and Amazon Prime Now. for $6 a month {reduced rate due to receiving EBT benefits}, I can get all the NON-food stuff delivered to my door. For someone in the city, without a car and relying on public transit? It's a no brainer. And when I compared prices to Walmart / HEB locally - Amazon was on equal or CHEAPER in most cases. Yes grocery items they are a little higher on. But anything else? Equal or cheaper. 

I'm looking forward to the day when I can use my EBT benefits on Amazon. And yes it's coming - they are doing trials in parts of the east coast now. I'd much rather do that for most of our grocery items. And it also helps eliminate the problem of food deserts in some places - it's easy to put a warehouse and delivery drivers to cover a much larger area than a regular grocery store. 

• Like 1

I have gotten into the habit of ordered needed science/art items 2-3 days ahead of time from Prime and then canceling my order in a bit of a huff if they're not going to arrive "in time." (Hey, it's one of Amazon's drop-down explanations for cancellation, so it's legit, right?) We were supposed to do a science experiment this morning but it was postponed to afternoon because the UPS guy didn't get here until noon.

So yes, it has ruined me. But you are totally reasonably upset. Paying extra for faster shipping is no small decision! (I mean, paying for shipping at all in the Prime age is a commitment.) Companies need to take it seriously.

I don't mind in-person shopping, but boy, will it be easier when everybody can get dressed and buckled in by themselves. And unbuckled. And go to the bathroom without assistance. And not have to go to the bathroom! Right now doing so requires careful advanced planning and list-making, takes time from other fun stuff we could be doing (pool, school, whatever), and often ends up with me in a big box store I don't particularly support, paying more than I would online for something that is not the exact thing I want. (So, yes, again: totally ruined.)

We have one grocery store from which I can get deliveries. At first it was through Shipt, which is not affiliated with the store, but I saw recently that they now have their own delivery available. I don't know if the company is owned by Publix or if they contracted from them. I didn't like Shipt because you pay an annual membership fee PLUS an upcharge on items. I used Shipt a few times and while I was always happy with the person who did my shopping for me, I didn't care for how the service itself worked. I bought a membership at a reduced price when it first became available here, but I didn't renew it when it expired. I haven't tried the new service yet. 

We have three drivers and two cars. Dh works. Ds works and goes to college (though he isn't taking classes this summer).  I neither work outside the home nor go to school. That puts me at the lowest priority for getting one of the vehicles. Being able to have things delivered, both grocery and non-grocery has been a good thing. 

I have it here. There's a large distribution center near the airport. It does ruin you. They're also offering Fresh which I haven't used yet. I expect when (or if) the Whole Foods merger occurs, I'll use it more. I already select most of my groceries online for pick up. Having two toddlers makes grocery shopping painful.

Right now I can get free one day shipping but not same day. Amazon is planning to build a distribution center near the Orlando airport in the next few years. I live about 40 minutes from the airport and am hoping my city will count as part of the metro area. I think same day delivery would really spoil me.

My options here are Target and Walmart. There are no mom and pops other than restaurants (we hardly have any chain restaurants) so I'd much rather give my money to Amazon than Walmart. I'd like to be able to shop Target more often but ours isn't a Super Target. I've often gone there hoping to find certain items only to be disappointed. Instead of wasting my time going there, parking, and looking around for what I want and coming home empty handed, I could have typed in a few things and just waited 2 days for my stuff to show up at my door.

Amazon has not ruined me, it has liberated me! 

I was going to reply that it ruined me but I like your view better. It liberated me! If I want to shop anywhere besides Walmart or Target I need to drive 40 minutes south or 40 minutes west, at the least. If I want more choices I have to drive an hour or more. We do have both Home Depot and Lowe's but those aren't stores where I often buy things. Those are places I send dh when he needs to get out of the house. ;)

OP, if you paid extra for expedited shipping you should expect expedited shipping. It doesn't matter whether or not Amazon spoiled you, the company you ordered from made you a promise they didn't keep. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

I'd be disgruntled too. I just yesterday cancelled an order from one store because it had been over a week since I ordered an 'in stock' item, which my account order status changed to 'on order from supplier.' Rang to enquire, was told another 2 weeks!!! Yeah, no. Not amazon's fault here, just poor communication from professionals.

Just so ya'all know, this morning's conversation takes the cake for poor customer service.

It will be a VERY cold day before I ever consider ordering from Christianbook ever again.  You know, since they blamed me for their mistake.... 

And then sent me an email reiterating it was my fault.

So, here's how this went:

I call and ask if my order has shipped.  No.

I ask why I never received any confirmation of order.  Well, they have the wrong address associated with the order.

Wait.  Which address?

It"s MYLASTNAME5@MSN.COM

What?!  Okay, so we DID have this email.  We did.  When we had FIVE people in our family.  Since we have 13 now, you can imagine this was a while ago.  

So I ask a reasonable question - did their system make an error because I NEVER would have used this email.  Ever.  Well, not since at least 2004.

No.  It could not be their error.  It is mine.  Well, no, no it's not.  So, okay it is Paypals.  Now, hold on.  My Paypal address and email is associated with my previous business. It's kept up to date.  Moreover I use my Paypal debit a hundred times a month.  Please tell me how there has NEVER been an error in the past 13 years and thousands of transactions.

Not only this but I provided them with the correct email and phone number so certainly they would not have been dependent on Paypal's information.

But, just in case, I called Paypal.  Were there ANY other email addresses anywhere on my account?  Nope.  Just my accurate email.

So, as a recap, let's see:

1. They failed to ship in a timely manner.

2. They actually ran out of the item I ordered ( a damaged version of the book I wanted and was lower priced) but did not contact me to exchange item.

3. They held my other item rather than ship it alone.

4. They did not contact me with the provided email NOR the provided telephone number.

5. They did not apologize.

6. More than just NOT apologize, they blamed me on the phone.

7. They then followed it up with an email letting me know how I could avoid problems in future orders by fixing my Paypal email address.  Not kidding.  

Someone tell me this is not the way they usually do business.  I promise to NEVER complain about anything at Amazon again.  

• Like 1

Just so ya'all know, this morning's conversation takes the cake for poor customer service.

It will be a VERY cold day before I ever consider ordering from Christianbook ever again. You know, since they blamed me for their mistake....

And then sent me an email reiterating it was my fault.

So, here's how this went:

I call and ask if my order has shipped. No.

I ask why I never received any confirmation of order. Well, they have the wrong address associated with the order.

Wait. Which address?

It"s MYLASTNAME5@MSN.COM

What?! Okay, so we DID have this email. We did. When we had FIVE people in our family. Since we have 13 now, you can imagine this was a while ago.

So I ask a reasonable question - did their system make an error because I NEVER would have used this email. Ever. Well, not since at least 2004.

No. It could not be their error. It is mine. Well, no, no it's not. So, okay it is Paypals. Now, hold on. My Paypal address and email is associated with my previous business. It's kept up to date. Moreover I use my Paypal debit a hundred times a month. Please tell me how there has NEVER been an error in the past 13 years and thousands of transactions.

Not only this but I provided them with the correct email and phone number so certainly they would not have been dependent on Paypal's information.

But, just in case, I called Paypal. Were there ANY other email addresses anywhere on my account? Nope. Just my accurate email.

So, as a recap, let's see:

1. They failed to ship in a timely manner.

2. They actually ran out of the item I ordered ( a damaged version of the book I wanted and was lower priced) but did not contact me to exchange item.

3. They held my other item rather than ship it alone.

4. They did not contact me with the provided email NOR the provided telephone number.

5. They did not apologize.

6. More than just NOT apologize, they blamed me on the phone.

7. They then followed it up with an email letting me know how I could avoid problems in future orders by fixing my Paypal email address. Not kidding.

Someone tell me this is not the way they usually do business. I promise to NEVER complain about anything at Amazon again.

That is so frustrating! I am so sorry, what a pain! Quite honestly I was shocked to see it was Christianbooks as they are the only other place (besides Exodus) that I use besides Amazon. They ship slow with free shipping but the one time they messed something up they fixed it promptly and sent me free stuff. I might call back, ask for a supervisor and relay this conversation. Maybe you got someone bad at their job. I feel frustrated for you!

I have had this issue you describe at Rainbowresource. I have received poor customer service through them on 3 different occassions. I think they pick my orders to mess up on purpose at this point just for fun ;) I have officially blacklisted them and that takes alot.

Edited by nixpix5

Amazon has not ruined me, it has liberated me! We live an hour away from a modest city and though it has the major chain stores, the stock is low and slim pickings. We are almost two hours from Detroit. I always had to drive the minimum of an hour to get even really basic things because the only place to shop in the county is Wal-Mart and again due to the economy here, they are limited stock, and often out of the items they are supposed to carry.

I agree. I don't have time to go too far for certain items. We even buy car parts, plumbing supplies, and even sinks and a shower door for a remodel. There's really not a good ladies' clothing store here either. 

• Like 3

I honestly think I wouldn't be SO annoyed if, when I called to say, "Hey, has this shipped?"  that they should have said, "Ohmigosh, so sorry, it's headed out the door!"  This was very different than, "Well, YOU didn't..." When I did.

Where in the world is customer service? This got so much bigger than it needed to be.  But the icing of sending me an email reiterating it was MY fault when she really could not have checked on this (or would have learned that the mess up was theirs and not PP) was really over the top.  

But DD tells me to get over it.  So I am.   :driving: 

But, can I just say - the service I got at my dentist this afternoon really only highlighted how AWESOME some people/companies are?  (BTW, if you need a dental suggestion, it is worth driving to Iowa.)

• Like 2