Menu

Vacation to get out of the heat in August-- city/town/state suggestions please

Shellydon

Oregon coast or Crater Lake area. We live in the valley and try to go camping on the coast whenever it gets really hot here. So far it's been an amazing beautiful summer with 80s during the day and 50s at night, so we haven't been there yet. I was actually surprised when I dropped my husband off at the airport the other day to see that the huge long term parking lot was full. Summer is a wonderful time to be in Oregon.

Also, some of the more northern national parks such as Glacier and Yellowstone would be great. If possible, I'd recommend late August as they will be less crowded as public schools start early in some parts of the country. We're also considering a quick trip to Alaska this summer to use up some companion tickets.

• Like 6

Anywhere along the coast in Northern California (& up into Oregon?) the *highs* will be in the low 60s ... from Monterey up through Santa Cruz, SF (Mark Twain's "coldest winter" he ever spent was summer in SF), and points north (Humboldt, Eureka, etc.). Although this may be colder than you'd like, ha – we had several family reunions in SF, Monterey, etc. in "summer" and our out-of-state relatives were underdressed and freezing (& annoyed lol). When it's 100° where I live, we can just drive an hour toward the coast and the temperature drops to 62°. Crazy! But I like being able to "dial in" my temp. I've lived all the world and this is the only place I've lived where you can do that.

• Like 1

We just back from Bar Harbor, Maine. I would recommend it.

My first thought was Mt. Desert Island. Although planning in July for August,I wonder about week long rental availability.

Anyway, biking, hiking, beach, lake lots to do plus a beautiful town. Great temps. If your preferred activities require equipment, it's all there to rent.

• Like 4

You could fly to Rochester or Buffalo NY and hit Niagara Falls, then, if you have passports, easily continue into Canada for a nice week long vacation along Lake Ontario and/or in Toronto (if you prefer cities).  If you don't have passports, you could drive along the US side of Lake Ontario (Canada has better views if you drive lakeside) and up along the St Lawrence River to the 1000 Islands (Alex Bay, Clayton, etc).  They're gorgeous on a sunny day - a destination relatively few outside the area know about.

This all depends upon being able to rent a car.

If not... Seattle?  San Francisco?  Anchorage?

My first thought was Mt. Desert Island. Although planning in July for August,I wonder about week long rental availability.

Anyway, biking, hiking, beach, lake lots to do plus a beautiful town. Great temps. If your preferred activities require equipment, it's all there to rent.

According to the vacancy signs I saw in Acadia at hotels and cute little cottage motels, you might be able to find something for a week.  If you're open to staying at two different places over the course of a week you might have more options.

You've got some great suggestions already. Oregon, Colorado, and Maine are all lovely in August.

Vancouver is nice in August if you can go international. ETA: Seattle and then driving to Vancouver is do-able if you've got several days.

Edited by Crimson Wife

You could fly to Rochester or Buffalo NY and hit Niagara Falls, then, if you have passports, easily continue into Canada for a nice week long vacation along Lake Ontario and/or in Toronto (if you prefer cities). If you don't have passports, you could drive along the US side of Lake Ontario (Canada has better views if you drive lakeside) and up along the St Lawrence River to the 1000 Islands (Alex Bay, Clayton, etc). They're gorgeous on a sunny day - a destination relatively few outside the area know about.

This all depends upon being able to rent a car.

Lovely places all, but sweltering in August! Lol

• Like 2

LOL! We visited many of the places Creekland listed a few years ago in August. It was absoluely heavenly compared to what we're used to. Barely "warm" in our lingo and nowhere in the vicinity of "sweltering." I guess it really is all in what you're used to. 

• Like 4

Not usually.  We often escape the heat there in August TBH.  Once in a while one can get a heat wave, but that's true of anywhere.

I just googled Rochester.  July is traditionally the hottest month with an average high of 81.  Early Aug is upper 70s, but that gradually decreases over the month to lower 70s by month's end.

http://www.rssweather.com/climate/New%20York/Rochester/

It's similar elsewhere, of course, and the closer one stays to the water, the better it is - esp if one gets a breeze off the water.  We just spent a fantastic weather week on the shores of Lake Ontario and will be headed back to the St Lawrence next week too - really looking forward to escaping the heat here at home.

ETA:  It's currently 90 degrees here in southern PA on it's way up to 94 if predictions are correct.  Where we'll be this time next week is 77 degrees now - and at its high for the day - both areas are partly cloudy.  Next week is all in the lower or mid 70s there too - quite perfect for us - vs mid 80s here.

Edited by creekland

I would love to go to Yellowstone again, and really explore it. There is just so much there! Other than that The PNW has many options that are going to be cool. You might go the Wallowa Lake in north eastern Oregon. So beautiful and cool. Edited to add, Lake Chalan in Washington is cool and beautiful in August. 

Edited by Anne in CA

Now you have me confused, because I got curious and looked up the weather in Portland, ME right now... it's warmer than Rochester with a pretty darn similar 10 day forecast - especially if one allows for rainy day differences. What makes you think the Lake Ontario and St. Lawrence river area is hot by comparison? Did you go there on a heat wave at one point?

Now you have me confused, because I got curious and looked up the weather in Portland, ME right now... it's warmer than Rochester with a pretty darn similar 10 day forecast - especially if one allows for rainy day differences. What makes you think the Lake Ontario and St. Lawrence river area is hot by comparison? Did you go there on a heat wave at one point?

Yeah, it's unusually hot here for the next few days.

We used to live in that general area so I know it well. We used to escape in summer to Maine or eastern Canada. :). Humidity is a big piece. I'm happiest wearing sweaters in summer though, so yeah, that area can be pretty miserable to me in the height of summer. Of course it depends what one is used to; I've no idea where the OP is.

LOL! We visited many of the places Creekland listed a few years ago in August. It was absoluely heavenly compared to what we're used to. Barely "warm" in our lingo and nowhere in the vicinity of "sweltering." I guess it really is all in what you're used to. 

Yes, anything around 85 would be fantastic.  We are hitting 100 regularly here

• Like 2

Yeah, it's unusually hot here for the next few days.

We used to live in that general area so I know it well. We used to escape in summer to Maine or eastern Canada. :). Humidity is a big piece. I'm happiest wearing sweaters in summer though, so yeah, that area can be pretty miserable to me in the height of summer. Of course it depends what one is used to; I've no idea where the OP is.

Yeah, I grew up in the area and still have multiple relatives who live there.  They think summer there is hot too, until they compare it to anywhere else like where we live.  ;)

Many people are surprised to find out that southern Maine is actually further south than far northern NY.  The two climates are pretty darn similar with who's hotter on any given day really dependent upon various front lines.

Had the OP been able to fly out of country, I'd have suggested Halifax and exploring the Maritimes.  We enjoy that in the summer when we can get there.  Of course, they consider July/August to be "hot" too - up to the lower 70s and occasionally reaching 80...   :lol:  (My Step-mom and her relatives live in NS/NB.)

• Like 1

The first year we lived in Oregon, Newburgh outside of Portland, most of July topped 100 degrees. This Michigander just about died of being broiled alive! LOL

• Like 1

Yep, we're south of Rochester and haven't had more than a week of temps above 85. I'm guessing by this time next month I'll have my jeans and long sleeve shirts back on.

We were at Stoneybrook state park last week with the grandkids. The water temp in the swimming area was 62 degrees.

Do you like Stony Brook or Letchworth better, esp for hiking and scenery?  Hubby and I are still contemplating our anniversary this summer and it looks like we will be in this area of NY on our way back home, so those came to mind as options - pending weather.

I can't get away this year so I am going hang out in the Costco walk in refridgerator section :laugh: It is 94 here today with super high humidity!

This made me literally LOL. That about sums up my vacation plans as well!

Seriously, anywhere in low 80s with low humidity sounds fantastic.

Anywhere along the coast in Northern California (& up into Oregon?) the *highs* will be in the low 60s ... from Monterey up through Santa Cruz, SF (Mark Twain's "coldest winter" he ever spent was summer in SF), and points north (Humboldt, Eureka, etc.). Although this may be colder than you'd like, ha – we had several family reunions in SF, Monterey, etc. in "summer" and our out-of-state relatives were underdressed and freezing (& annoyed lol). When it's 100° where I live, we can just drive an hour toward the coast and the temperature drops to 62°. Crazy! But I like being able to "dial in" my temp. I've lived all the world and this is the only place I've lived where you can do that.

You beat me to it!

Bill 

Our last family reunion was in Pacific City, OR in July and it was high 50s and low 60s.  And we go to see whales from my cousin's living room window!  It was great. 

Another vote for Bar Harbor Maine and Acadia National Park.  There is so much to do there especially if you have kids. The scenery is so unique and just beautiful. We go back every year because we just love it.

Another great choice is the Lakes Region of New Hampshire. This is where I live. Plenty of swimming and hiking. Close to the White Mountains. You can also take a cruise on Lake Winnipesaukee or a Gondoloa ride to the top of Canon Mtn. or the Cog railway up Mt. Washington.