Menu

Matilda

So I re-read Matilda with my kids for the first time since my kids were old enough for me to realize that they're pretty bright. and I now find the ending completely laughable. Her magic went away because her extraordinary brain was sufficiently challenged by doing 6th grade material? Really? It just made me laugh because it always seemed like a perfectly logical explanation to me... until I had my own kids and realized how briefly moving up like that would actually keep a mind like that occupied.

Well, your kids presumably aren't being emotionally abused at home and school. I figure that's got to be part of it :)

Ha ha. Maybe THAT'S the real secret - she can only find those magical powers when under severe abuse, and so the fact that she moves up to the 6th grade has nothing to do with her powers going away; it must be that her happy ending with a happy home and a peaceful school makes it so she can no longer channel the magic! :)

Edited by 4kookiekids
  • Like 1

Ha ha. Maybe THAT'S the real secret - she can only find those magical powers when under severe abuse, and so the fact that she moves up to the 6th form has nothing to do with her powers going away; it must be that her happy ending with a happy home and a peaceful school makes it so she can no longer channel the magic! :)

6th form in England means a 12th grade (or higher work wise) equivalent, not 6th grade.