Menu

Talk To Me about Rod and Staff

We actually have used it as our writing and grammar program and do a lot of the grammar orally (ala WTM,) but we do other types of writing ala WTM as well: summaries, outlining, all of the R&S composition exercises, pen pal letters, etc. etc.  

R&S is very thorough. We have always used it, and I have always loved it. I have done it differently in different years and for different students. But it always gets the job done. 

We actually have used it as our writing and grammar program and do a lot of the grammar orally (ala WTM,) but we do other types of writing ala WTM as well: summaries, outlining, all of the R&S composition exercises, pen pal letters, etc. etc.

R&S is very thorough. We have always used it, and I have always loved it. I have done it differently in different years and for different students. But it always gets the job done.

This exactly.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost all the way through R&S English with my oldest daughter; from English 3 to English 9&10, Book 1.  She takes to writing/grammar like a duck to water, and the program has been good for her.  I've found it very thorough, well-explained, and solid.  This daughter has complained that the writing assignments expect too much moralizing by the time you get to level 7 or 8, but then all teens complain about something, right?  She also outlines and writes in various other subjects, using what she's learned in R&S.  The writing part of the program seems to intensify in the higher level books.  As she's getting into Great Books, I'm scaling back her writing assignments from R&S this year.

My second daughter has less of a love for grammar and writing.  (Especially, the manual act of writing.)  She's been through English 3 to English 5 and will begin English 6 this year.  I've still found the thoroughness of the program to be a good thing, and often am able to adjust the grammar exercises so that she has to write a few words rather than copying long sentences.  When she's working on a writing assignment from R&S, I'll often scale back her other writing to not overwhelm her.

I've been very happy with R&S.  We've worked into R&S 3 using the older edition of FLL (combined 1&2), so the girls have experience with copywork and dictation, as well as basic parts of speech before they get there.  I'd list the pros of R&S English as thoroughness, open-and-go (depending on the student - there aren't any scripted passages for teacher involvement), and a nice mix of grammar, writing, and research skills.  (Oh, and editing skills in Books 9 & 10 - those are great!)  The cons would be having to decide which of the multitudinous exercises your student actually needs to do in a particular lesson, some out-dated reference skills (Few people need to know how to read a card from a library card-catalogue these days.), and a tone that can come across as "preachy" to a teen.

As for whether R&S English is enough writing instruction on its own, I'll have to see.  My oldest daughter is a natural writer.  By the time my second daughter finishes the series, I'll have a better handle on that question . . .

HTH!

Marie

• Like 1

Next year for 10th grade will be the first year I won't make high schooler do all writing assignments from R&S. So far she has done R&S English with all writing assignments from the grade 2- grade 8 english book. For 9th grade, she also worked through WWS alongside it. Next year for 10th grade she will read through the R&S 9/10 and do any worksheets that come with it, but won't do actual writing from it. She will do the WTM style rhetoric study for writing instead. But we will keep up reading through R&S. The 2 9/10 books, read a couple of times a week, should probably last us all the way through 12 th grade alongside WTM writing/rhetoric books. 

She has no problems with writing assignments. I do some journaling exercises with my kids, plus other WTM style writing in the past across all subjects. But R&S has always been the backbone for our homeschool. R&S math, Spelling, and English all the way through for both of mine have been great. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've used R+S up to Grade 7. I like them so far. I do get the kids to write it all out, and I think you miss a lot of the meat of Grade 3 and 4 if you do it orally (there is tons of sentence composition practice). They cover a huge amount of material, and the writing instruction is clear and good, if dull. I do change out some of the writing assignments (my personal favourite was my son's compare and contrast essay at about age 10 where he compared my SILs old synthesizer to our "real" piano which was in the shop. He had VERY strong opinions). The books get preachy, but you can have some interesting conversations. For a busy, and frequently overwhelmed, mother, I can trust that they have been introduced to the basics of grammar, english conventions, and writing with no prep and minimal interference from me. I add to the writing, and plan to continue to add as they get older, but overall this is the only thing I am still using from the start of our homeschooling adventure. 

So, I've used R+S up to Grade 7. I like them so far. I do get the kids to write it all out, and I think you miss a lot of the meat of Grade 3 and 4 if you do it orally (there is tons of sentence composition practice). They cover a huge amount of material, and the writing instruction is clear and good, if dull. I do change out some of the writing assignments (my personal favourite was my son's compare and contrast essay at about age 10 where he compared my SILs old synthesizer to our "real" piano which was in the shop. He had VERY strong opinions). The books get preachy, but you can have some interesting conversations. For a busy, and frequently overwhelmed, mother, I can trust that they have been introduced to the basics of grammar, english conventions, and writing with no prep and minimal interference from me. I add to the writing, and plan to continue to add as they get older, but overall this is the only thing I am still using from the start of our homeschooling adventure. 

I could have written this post!  Especially this: "For a busy, and frequently overwhelmed, mother, I can trust that they have been introduced to the basics of grammar, english conventions, and writing with no prep and minimal interference from me."   So true!

I, as well, have used R&S English since close to the beginning of our homeschool life.  I started with Grade 3 for my oldest, who just started R&S 7.

We've done almost all of the grammar and writing assignments (except writing a business letter for magazines in the mail...) and my children have covered much more writing instruction than I realized.

In fact, a few months ago I started a thread because I was nervous about not using a writing curriculum with my oldest two (5th and 7th).  As we have ventured into more intentional writing instruction this year, I am so pleasantly surprised at how much they know.  This can only be attributed to R&S!

Grade 6 has several exercises on outlining and summarizing, which have been helpful.

I also couldn't agree more that the exercises need to be on paper and not all oral, in order to gain the most bang for your buck with R&S.

• Like 1

I am in planning mode right now and someone gifted us with a copy of R&S English 6. From the looks of it, it looks like it could do the job. I have seen nothing but glowing reviews but is it really a grammar and writing curriculum in one?

Yes, absolutely, it's a complete, comprehensive English course (sans literature). Have you seen the scope and sequence? You can get one free of charge by calling the publisher at (606) 522-4348.