Menu

Looking for an old thread

Maybe about six months ago someone linked an article.  For the life of me, I can't remember the title of the article, but what I do remember is how it talked, in part, about how top math students approached math.  Does anyone know what thread/article I'm talking about?

Edited by OnMyOwn

Thanks for trying, but those aren't it. The article wasn't specifically about math, but top achievers/students. The article stated something about top achievers/students and everyone on these boards who responded to the thread said that wasn't true, but rather that it was due to good study habits. The article talked about how these students approached different subjects. Too vague, I know! I had just thought it was a really good article and meant to share it with my kids, and now I can't find it. I particularly liked what they had said about math.

Was it this article from the Atlantic, The Math Revolution.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/03/the-math-revolution/426855/

I am bummed that this is not the article the OP is looking for, because I LOVE this!  I have a math girl who is 19 and filling out Ph.D. applications as we speak; she has co-authored a half-dozen or so papers and has two more, plus a book chapter, in the works.  In other words, she is a rock star in her math world, and she did so much of what is mentioned in this article, especially radically accelerating her math education.  The description of the guy who trolls middle schools looking for the next math rock star was pretty awesome.  I am going to write him to suggest he also start trolling gymnastics gyms; my daughter says gymnastics desensitized her to failure and that that has been an invaluable asset.

Anyway, carry on, but thanks, Aras, for the link.

• Like 2

Do you remember the board names of anyone who posted on the thread? Any other key words? Did you post on it?

The only thing I can remember is that Regentrude posted on it and I think it was on the college board. Lol! My mind is going to mush. And if I find it, I'll probably realize it wasn't all that great anyway.

Oh, I do remember at least one person saying they were going to share it with their kids, and I did try searching with that phrase.

The only thing I can remember is that Regentrude posted on it and I think it was on the college board. Lol! My mind is going to mush. And if I find it, I'll probably realize it wasn't all that great anyway.

Oh, I do remember at least one person saying they were going to share it with their kids, and I did try searching with that phrase.

Probably not it, but try this one: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/642881-how-do-high-iq-people-study/

• Like 1

One of the other articles linked above included this:  

A typical T-shirt slogan: √-1 23 âˆ‘ Ï€ … and it was delicious! (Translation: “I ate some pie …â€)

Could someone please explain why the symbols translated as "I ate some" actually mean that?  

You know, I think I may have been combining this article and the responses to it with another article that talked more about how top math students approached math.  I spent more time today trying to find it, but had no luck.  Thanks for looking, though!