Menu

Pacing of MEP Reception year

3 ladybugs

I have had my almost 4 year old doing some varied curriculum in the last year. This year I want to start getting him into a rhythm like his older brother. So school most days. I am using AAR pre-reading with him now and I just found MEP when I contacted Beast Academy and asked them what would feed into Beast 2A. They actually gave me several options but free is a VERY good price. ;) 

As of right now I am doing AAR about 2 days a week. Should I be trying for 5 days a week for both subjects or should I aim for a 4 day week with him with him doing 2 days of math, 2 days of reading. Or should I do something else? He is eager to learn. Constantly asking for his "circles" as he calls it.

What do other people do?

Mep reception is really short and simple. You could do it 2 days a week for a few months. I really doubt you will get a whole year out of it. I think reading is best done every day for a shorter period of time vs a longer time on fewer days. My 4 yo kiddo does AAR 5 days per week for 15 minutes. On weekends we still flip through the cards he is working on. It takes less than 5 minutes. I like Miquon orange for pre-k. Since you are using miquon for an older kid I assume you already have the rods and annotation book, so buying the orange book would get you lots of material to work on for a teeny tiny price. We do that 4 days for about 15 minutes.

• Like 1

How do you mean "a big jump"?

The reception level is comparable to US preschool level. It is written for U.K. 4 year olds. Level 1 difficulty is comparable to US 1st grade, though it is written for U.K. 5 year olds. They have nothing comparable to US Kindergarten.

• Like 2

Okay I am still confused. It isn't like UK kids develop differently then Americans. I descend from British knighthood, certainly I could tell if there was something odd about my family that way. Do the British people do something else? Is math seen differently there?