What's with the ads?

#1 3 ladybugs

3 ladybugs

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1851 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:51 PM

I have had my almost 4 year old doing some varied curriculum in the last year. This year I want to start getting him into a rhythm like his older brother. So school most days. I am using AAR pre-reading with him now and I just found MEP when I contacted Beast Academy and asked them what would feed into Beast 2A. They actually gave me several options but free is a VERY good price. ;) 

As of right now I am doing AAR about 2 days a week. Should I be trying for 5 days a week for both subjects or should I aim for a 4 day week with him with him doing 2 days of math, 2 days of reading. Or should I do something else? He is eager to learn. Constantly asking for his "circles" as he calls it.

What do other people do?

#2 Syllieann

Syllieann

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1037 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:05 PM

Mep reception is really short and simple. You could do it 2 days a week for a few months. I really doubt you will get a whole year out of it. I think reading is best done every day for a shorter period of time vs a longer time on fewer days. My 4 yo kiddo does AAR 5 days per week for 15 minutes. On weekends we still flip through the cards he is working on. It takes less than 5 minutes. I like Miquon orange for pre-k. Since you are using miquon for an older kid I assume you already have the rods and annotation book, so buying the orange book would get you lots of material to work on for a teeny tiny price. We do that 4 days for about 15 minutes.
  • Crimson Wife likes this

#3 3 ladybugs

3 ladybugs

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1851 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:03 PM

Well I just did lesson 1 of MEP and it didn't take NEARLY as long as it said it would. I was able to do AAR and it (not including 20 min of reading) in about 45 minutes. That is certainly doable for everyday. 

#4 Rosie_0801

Rosie_0801

Beekeeping Professor

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29142 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

There's a big jump between MEP R and Year 1. My dd did MEP R, then began CSMP K. She was ready to start MEP 1 about half way through CSMP K.

#5 lolo

lolo

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:03 AM

Reception took us 4 months. And that wasn't doing it every day. It is short each day.

#6 3 ladybugs

3 ladybugs

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1851 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:48 AM

There's a big jump between MEP R and Year 1. My dd did MEP R, then began CSMP K. She was ready to start MEP 1 about half way through CSMP K.

How do you mean "a big jump"?

#7 Syllieann

Syllieann

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1037 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:13 AM

How do you mean "a big jump"?

The reception level is comparable to US preschool level. It is written for U.K. 4 year olds. Level 1 difficulty is comparable to US 1st grade, though it is written for U.K. 5 year olds. They have nothing comparable to US Kindergarten.
  • Rosie_0801 and 3 ladybugs like this

#8 3 ladybugs

3 ladybugs

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1851 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:08 PM

Okay I am still confused. It isn't like UK kids develop differently then Americans. I descend from British knighthood, certainly I could tell if there was something odd about my family that way. Do the British people do something else? Is math seen differently there?