Menu

feeling the pressure to make this decision really soon....

my 2 high school kids aren't sciencey kids at all....my son (15) is pretty good at math, but doesn't like it...and my daughter (almost 17) is surviving math and absolutely doesn't like it.

DS has taken Chemistry and DD limped through Biology and Chemistry.

They both do better with at least a bit of video included in the lessons. 

I wanted DD to do physics this year...and DS to do Biology.  (they did Chemistry together last year). 

But the level of math is getting in the way too.

I looked at DIVE, but neither one of them has enough math (or the recommended previous science)..DS is taking Geometry this year and DD is taking Algebra 2.

I just recently learned that conceptual science is science without labs.  But it appears that is the kind of science that lines up best with the level of math my kids have...especially DD.  But I fear that science without labs won't be accepted by some colleges.

DD is planning on attending a smaller church college and I think she will be fine,  But DS has really no idea at this point what he wants to do...so we are sort of flying blind with him. 

I really wanted to stay with a Christian series for Biology (I don't think it really matters that much for physics).  Apologia (even with the DVD) was too dry for my kids...so that isn't an option either.

These are the programs I am considering, maybe someone here can shed some light on if they feel this might be a good fit...or good enough....

maybe there is something else out there I don't know about...so if so, tell me.  I need to make this decision really soon.  thanks.

I just recently learned that conceptual science is science without labs.  But it appears that is the kind of science that lines up best with the level of math my kids have...especially DD.  But I fear that science without labs won't be accepted by some colleges.

"Conceptual" refers to the level of math. It has absolutely nothing to do with the presence or absence of lab.

You can do Conceptual Physics with lab. Obviously, the depth of analysis will have to be different, because of math, but there is no reason you cannot do a lab with CP.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

so is a conceptual science course considered a "less than" course by many colleges...or is it equal to others? For some reason I get the impression that a science course that doesn't rely heavily on math isn't as good or looked at as equal to.  My 2 high school kids aren't planning on a science/math field of study in college....but that doesn't always mean the college they choose won't expect a higher form of science or math...is that right??  Or am I getting all worried about nothing??

My third child LOVES science but hates math.  So I am not sure what to do with him.

why is this so hard???  Is it really this hard....or is it me?

I am shocked that your children's math with not be up to par with whatever science they are doing next. Biology usually requires no math and physics, at best, will require algebra. Of course, the AP or college versions of these classes will require more math. But regular high school level will not. MOST kids will take the regular version of physics, biology, and chemistry, before moving on to AP or college versions.

With all the math your children have, how about fundafunda for biology and derekowens for physics? It is too late to get in to Clover Creek for the upcoming year.

Edited by Janeway

so is a conceptual science course considered a "less than" course by many colleges...or is it equal to others? For some reason I get the impression that a science course that doesn't rely heavily on math isn't as good or looked at as equal to.  My 2 high school kids aren't planning on a science/math field of study in college....but that doesn't always mean the college they choose won't expect a higher form of science or math...is that right??  Or am I getting all worried about nothing??

Yes. Conceptual Sciences are less rigorous since they do not use math.

If you just want to check the box for high school sciences and get into a non selective college, conceptual is fine. 

If you want to have a competetive transcript to gain admission to a selective school, conceptual looks weaker than math based, and the student is at a disadvantage. This will be the case irrespective of whether the student wants to major in STEM or humanities; highly selective schools have their pick of humanities interested students who have taken high level math and science courses.

Edited by regentrude

I am shocked that your children's math with not be up to par with whatever science they are doing next. Biology usually requires no math and physics, at best, will require algebra. Of course, the AP or college versions of these classes will require more math. But regular high school level will not. MOST kids will take the regular version of physics, biology, and chemistry, before moving on to AP or college versions.

With all the math your children have, how about fundafunda for biology and derekowens for physics? It is too late to get in to Clover Creek for the upcoming year.

the other thing with science is that my kids tend to learn better with a video component included...the more the better, I think.  Plus we have a limited budget.  

I haven't looked at Fundafunda and I can't afford Derek Owens.  Clover Creek is all full...even the waiting list. 

thanks.  I will check out funda funda.  

Question - does your daughter really need to take Physics? Does she even need a third year of science? If she is not looking at selective schools, she may not need this at all. Does your state require it?

About liking a subject. I understand that you want to customize their education as far as possible. I have done the same...but  sometimes I have had to tell a child to just suck it up. We don't have endless money and our local public school would be worse.

I'm sorry if I am being harsh but you are tying yourself in knots. You are trying to take difficult, complex subject matter and present it to your children in the most palatable way within your budget and you want it to look right on their transcripts. That's really hard to do!! If the budget can't be flexible then either the easy/difficult-ness or the palatable-ness or the transcript has to.

ETA: I have re-written this a few times but I am just going to leave it now. I feel for you. But I don't think there is a unicorn curriculum/program eluding you. I think homeschooling, sometimes, is just brutally hard.

Edited by Liza Q

I appreciate your honesty Liza Q.  

To answer your question...yes she needs physics.  the college of her choice is requiring Biology, Chemistry and Physics.  It lists those 3...not 3 sciences...but those specific 3 sciences.

I know I am looking for the "perfect" program and I also know it doesn't exist...that is probably the hardest part of this...picking from 3 (or more) not perfect programs....so which is the least not perfect program is what I am trying decide.

UGH!!!  I also know in the end, it probably won't matter that much....I just need to bite the bullet and do something.

thanks.

• Like 1

FWIW, my son and I think you should give SOS a try.

We used it for Earth Science in 9th grade. Organized. Little videos. Colorful. Not boring. Not too "hard". There are plenty of online helps for Physics, like the Crash Course videos. Mom can skip assignments if you think there is too much busy work. A lab kit should be available from Nature's workshop or one of those places.

This is assuming that it only requires Algebra - please check that!

Have you seen the Physics 101 DVD?  I have looked into this for our family, and from what I gather from reviews and testimonials -- these 101 courses are easier, but the publisher does say they are high school level. It might be worth looking at as part of program or even as your spine. Since the 101 is easier academically, you could always beef it up by adding in labs and reports. Even a science project would be very appropriate.

http://www.the101series.com/

Also, Aurora Lipper has high school science on her website. We have lots of her videos from the Supercharged Science series, my youngest daughter loves them. Honestly, some of the DVD series might correspond to physics concepts in your course of study. Not all experiments have to be fancy to teach for understanding. Aurora does have high school level courses too.

http://www.superchargedscience.com/opt/grades-9-12-topic-summary-08-2014-2/

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/science/experiment-books-and-labs/supercharged-science

Another resource to consider might be the Teaching Company. They are also called the Great Courses. They have sales and a huge number of video classes that might work as a supplement to whatever you choose for a spine.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/physics-of-history.html

https://www.thegreatcoursesplus.com/quantum-mechanics

this looks interesting :  http://study.com/academy/course/intro-to-physics-course.html

a mix of physics/christianity: Josh Peck's Quantum Creation  (I have not read this, the reviews look interesting)

https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Creation-Supernatural-Fourth-Dimension/dp/1499760841/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500332269&sr=8-1&keywords=quantum+creation

Masters books website might also have something. If it is advanced enough.

I wish you well as you create a workable plan for your family!

Edited by Pistachio mom
  • Like 1

FWIW, my son and I think you should give SOS a try.

We used it for Earth Science in 9th grade. Organized. Little videos. Colorful. Not boring. Not too "hard". There are plenty of online helps for Physics, like the Crash Course videos. Mom can skip assignments if you think there is too much busy work. A lab kit should be available from Nature's workshop or one of those places.

This is assuming that it only requires Algebra - please check that!

I just asked and found out that math through algebra 2 is needed for physics.

I also now remember looking at the sample you tube video and thought that some of the "games" for learning vocabulary looked pretty babyish...are they really like that?

thanks.

I bought Apologia Physics textbook with test and solutions and Rusty Hughes's video instruction that includes video of ALL the labs and full course teaching off of Ebay for an amazing deal - less than the video itself costs at Rainbow.

We also need physics and absolutely need video support.

I suggest watching for a deal in Ebay. The CD-Rom has really! saved us with Apologia when we are not in a co-op situation.

HTH,

Rebecca

Edited by Rebecca

Biology and chemistry for my youngest definitely included math, particularly chemistry, and they were not at all AP versions. 

Algebra may be all you need before starting physics, but you will be learning additional math as you go along in the course. The Derek Owens course, for instance, specifically states that you will be learning some trigonometry. 

I do think it's a tough course for those who struggle with math. My oldest is minoring in math at a STEM school, but she worked long and hard for a good grade in high school physics (not honors, not AP). 

OP, I would specifically ask your dd's school of choice if conceptual physics is acceptable, or ask around if others in your area have applied there. I think that a small bible college will almost certainly accept it, and it would make for a much easier course for her. She would probably also understand much more of the material as it applies to life in general. 

Your son doesn't have to decide about physics yet, he has time. Biology should be fine. 

• Like 2

Homeschoolconnections.com has conceptual physics and biology recorded classes. You can have unlimited access to all their recorded classes for your family for $330 for the whole year. Both kids could take their respective science courses for one price. It might be worth looking into!