Menu

Teen driving question...

3 ladybugs

I have a sister who is 15 (how did that happen?? Wasn't she born about a year ago?? She is 25 years younger then me). She lives in Oregon. She recently got her driving permit. Great. In Oregon I see that a teen needs to have a drivers licence for at least a year to get a normal driver's licence and not a provisional one. So that means that theoretically, she can get a normal driver's licence at 17 years of age. 

I live in New Jersey. Driving out here (and other places around the country that are not Oregon or more rural) take on a different art form. In my state, a teen can't get an unrestricted driver's licence till 18. 

What happens if my sister were to visit me in that theoretical year that she has an unrestricted driver's licence? Would she be able to drive out here? Or is she under the restrictions of New Jersey?

Now I realize that she wouldn't be traveling on her own while out here but if I wanted to teach her some more about "advanced driving situations" would I be able to?

Each state has different rules on that. Some states allow permit drivers from other states, some states allow it with certain restrictions, some states don't allow it at all. We looked this up a few years ago when dh and ds1 were planning to drive from NY to GA. I remember PA doesn't allow permit drivers from out-of-state. I don't think I saved that info, but I'll check.

I believe if she has a provisional license when visiting she has to follow NJ rules if it is a full license no restrictions apply. I would call the mvc to be sure.

It would be the opposite. She would have a non-restrictive DL in Oregon but in NJ she would be the age of ONLY a restrictive licence. I get why NJ does this. This state isn't an easy one to drive in. Honestly I am wanting my child to be 18 before he gets a licence (note I got my licence at 16 but I was in Washington State). I am just thinking that the younger she experiances more advanced driving (like out here) the better, as it prepares for driving in any situation in any location... sort of like learning on a stick shift. 

Now I am unsure if she will come out here next year. Even if she does, it is quite possible my smallest vehicle will be a Odyssey (the other being a Nissan NV). Which isn't the best to learn to drive out here. Also our father LOVES driving in new situations and I don't see her coming out here without him and so this all could be a mute point. However it is an interesting question.

From this page, it looks like she WOULD need to follow the provisional rules (mainly, limits on what hours she can drive, and who/how many passengers she can have with her). This is referring to someone *moving* in from out of state, and transferring to a NJ license, so it may vary for a visitor, but looks like a "better safe than sorry" situation. 

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/Replacing.htm

What are the restrictions on a NJ provisional license? In Oregon, the provisions are pretty much limited to not driving between midnight and 5am and how many unrelated minor passengers the driver can carry. These restrictions don't apply if there is another licensed driver over (21 or 25? can't remember) in the passenger seat of the car with the provisional driver. Other than that, provisional licenses here aren't that limiting. Under provisional laws similar to Oregon's, you would be able to teach her no problem. I'm curious to hear if these laws are different elsewhere.

• Per NJ Law 

Probationary driver's license, which requires:

• reflectorized license plate decals to be displayed when you drive.

No driving between 11:01 p.m. and 5 a.m., unless you have a written statement for religious or work reasons.

Your only passengers to be your parents, legal guardians, or dependents.

Parent or guardian supervision, if you have more than 1 passenger.

You have to be 18 to get a normal license. 

Odd that she could come here and I wouldn't ordinarily count as someone who could drive with her but maybe I could with her having an OR license. Scary!

Link: http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/teen-drivers.php

Edited by 3 ladybugs