What's with the ads?

#101 whitestavern

whitestavern

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3332 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

Lisabees... have you been able to tour Wheaton yet? We went last weekend and my dd really liked it.

If you haven't visited yet, here are my takeaways:

Pros: The campus is very pretty, and it's in a cute little town. Location is nice; Providence and Boston are close. It's all undergrad, so no TAs, and the class sizes are of course small. There are a couple of unique benefits. One is that going abroad is free. Your tuition covers it, including the airfare to get where you are going. You can go for a week (like during a vacation), a month, a semester or a year. Also, if you cannot find a paid internship they will give you a stipend to cover your expenses. I believe our guide said they are $3000-$4000. It's guaranteed funding called The Wheaton Edge. You're able to take classes at Brown, though I don't know all the details on how to do that. DD asked about sign language (she does not want to take a foreign language, which is a requirement, and that will suffice. That class is at Brown. Can't remember specific examples but we definitely got the vibe that everyone gets along and are very supportive of each other. Every dorm has its own kitchen.

Cons: Housing is the same all four years. Most of the LACs we've visited have nicer dorms as you proceed through the years and many have apartments for upper classmen. So at Wheaton all dorms are all years, which I guess could be viewed as a benefit for some. Also, it seemed "small." We've been looking at all only small schools, and Hamilton at just a few hundred more students, which is dd's favorite, seemed much bigger. The campus felt small but it wasn't just the size. It seemed more like a prep school than a college. Also, the reason it got on our list was due to the open curriculum, but from what the tour guide was telling me there are quite a few required courses. I haven't had a chance to go onto their website and check out the details. The tour guide wasn't great. She seemed like she was adlibbing half of it, and there were a lot of questions she couldn't answer. Kind of a ditz. I hate when we get bad tour guides because it gives me a bad taste for the school, which I realize is my issue, lol! But we did speak to two other students just briefly upon arrival and they were great!

If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them. We're off to Lafayette and Muhlenberg this weekend.

#102 lisabees

lisabees

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3638 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:25 PM

Lisabees... have you been able to tour Wheaton yet? We went last weekend and my dd really liked it.

If you haven't visited yet, here are my takeaways:

Pros: The campus is very pretty, and it's in a cute little town. Location is nice; Providence and Boston are close. It's all undergrad, so no TAs, and the class sizes are of course small. There are a couple of unique benefits. One is that going abroad is free. Your tuition covers it, including the airfare to get where you are going. You can go for a week (like during a vacation), a month, a semester or a year. Also, if you cannot find a paid internship they will give you a stipend to cover your expenses. I believe our guide said they are $3000-$4000. It's guaranteed funding called The Wheaton Edge. You're able to take classes at Brown, though I don't know all the details on how to do that. DD asked about sign language (she does not want to take a foreign language, which is a requirement, and that will suffice. That class is at Brown. Can't remember specific examples but we definitely got the vibe that everyone gets along and are very supportive of each other. Every dorm has its own kitchen.

Cons: Housing is the same all four years. Most of the LACs we've visited have nicer dorms as you proceed through the years and many have apartments for upper classmen. So at Wheaton all dorms are all years, which I guess could be viewed as a benefit for some. Also, it seemed "small." We've been looking at all only small schools, and Hamilton at just a few hundred more students, which is dd's favorite, seemed much bigger. The campus felt small but it wasn't just the size. It seemed more like a prep school than a college. Also, the reason it got on our list was due to the open curriculum, but from what the tour guide was telling me there are quite a few required courses. I haven't had a chance to go onto their website and check out the details. The tour guide wasn't great. She seemed like she was adlibbing half of it, and there were a lot of questions she couldn't answer. Kind of a ditz. I hate when we get bad tour guides because it gives me a bad taste for the school, which I realize is my issue, lol! But we did speak to two other students just briefly upon arrival and they were great!

If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them. We're off to Lafayette and Muhlenberg this weekend.

I cannot thank you enough - Wheaton is officially off the list.  I just don't think there is anything compelling enough to warrant a visit.

I am excited to hear about your Lafayette and Muhlenberg visits!  They're practically in my back yard!

#103 WoolySocks

WoolySocks

Googleplex master of hivedom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8860 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:39 PM

Was Macalaster still being looked at?  We visited today and I loved it so much!  Lovely campus in a vibrant area, hipster, liberal, collaborative, non-competitive caring vibe.  Our tour guide told us a story how someone in admissions met with him at the airport just to chat because she was on her way out of town while he was just considering the school.  Sadly, my kid wasn't nearly as impressed as me.  LOL.

• Frances likes this

#104 littlebug42

littlebug42

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3314 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:14 AM

I would look at St. Edwards. It is Catholic but th recruiter indicated that it was not strongly Catholic. The son of a friend of mine currently attending there and he is impressed with their social concerns focus. OP's DD would qualify for their Presidential Scholarship.

St. Edward's is my alma mater.  I was not Catholic when I attended and it never caused any problems.  There is a strong focus on social justice.  They were very generous with aid at the time as well.  When I attended, they had a focus on a diverse student population so students from out of state were given pretty good aid packages.  Not sure if this has changed at all in the time since I graduated.  I thought Austin was wonderful and I really loved my time there.  

#105 Emerald Stoker

Emerald Stoker

Been there.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

Another Canadian idea: Brescia University College at the University of Western Ontario in London, ON. It's a women's college.

brescia.uwo.ca

US admissions requirements indicate minimum 1100 SAT and 3.0 GPA.

Students can also take courses at the other affiliated colleges (Huron and King's) as well as at Western itself.

International tuition with fees looks to be in the neighbourhood of $28,000 CDN (our dollar is about 80 cents at the moment).

London is a nice city, and Western is a good school. I don't know anything about Brescia itself, but you might find it worth a look.

#106 Frances

Frances

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1913 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:13 AM

Was Macalaster still being looked at? We visited today and I loved it so much! Lovely campus in a vibrant area, hipster, liberal, collaborative, non-competitive caring vibe. Our tour guide told us a story how someone in admissions met with him at the airport just to chat because she was on her way out of town while he was just considering the school. Sadly, my kid wasn't nearly as impressed as me. LOL.

Same for me, plus it was very strong in my son's main areas of interest, chemistry and economics. Alas, we had a terrible tour guide, by far the worst of all our college visits, and it was the last of several visits during a spring break trip. Although my son applied and was accepted with great merit aid, it was the first postcard he mailed back declining the offer. 😢

#107 J-rap

J-rap

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10923 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:15 AM

Just coming back around to some of the colleges listed earlier...

I just read this article on the city of Beloit yesterday... interesting!

https://www.nytimes....pe=article&_r=0

Two of my nephews went to Beloit and loved it.  Another nephew attended Lawrence, and loved that one!  Both schools are in Wisconsin.

I graduated from St. Olaf after moving from the West Coast before my junior year.  It has Lutheran traditions but is quite liberal.  And that was in the 80's.  In the 80's it was also quite "preppy" -- my funny West Coast hippie clothes stood out quite a bit!  haha  But it was a great school, very good academically with students from across the board.  You would not feel uncomfortable being there from a different background than Midwestern Lutheran.  Its emphasis is on academics.

• WoolySocks likes this

#108 WoolySocks

WoolySocks

Googleplex master of hivedom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8860 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:19 AM

Same for me, plus it was very strong in my son's main areas of interest, chemistry and economics. Alas, we had a terrible tour guide, by far the worst of all our college visits, and it was the last of several visits during a spring break trip. Although my son applied and was accepted with great merit aid, it was the first postcard he mailed back declining the offer. 😢

Awww bummer!  :(  I was just talking to my husband about how it's kind of sad that your experience can be colored overly good or bad by a single person on campus you may never see again if you went there.  I had a great tour guide!  I thought it would be fantastic to be a science student at Mac!  Such great opportunities.  It is not particularly strong in music which is my kid's current focus, but I'd love if he could go somewhere like a LAC where he could double major or at least explore other areas.  So many music students end up in a master's program.

Thank you J-rap for weighing in on St. Olaf, Lawrence, and Beloit.  I am especially in love with the look of Lawrence for this music kid of mine.  Lawrence has a very homeschool-y project based, individual learner mind set I think would be so great for him.  He's already eye rolling over it being in Appleton WI.  LOL.  Whatever kid.  Reality will set in one of these days here right?  Macalester is very close to home for us and they kept talking about how great the location was in the tour and my son thought that was ridiculous.  I don't know if he's thinking NYC, Boston, LA that's it or what!?  He better win the lottery!

You have confirmed my experience with Ole grads, I know a bunch of them!  We live right in the middle of the cities.  We're going touring there in a couple weeks.  I definitely want to tour Beloit too.  We're going to have to plan a little Wisconsin tour maybe this winter.  I'd like to hit Beloit, Lawrence, Madison, maybe another smaller public options or 2.  We get tuition reciprocity in Wisconsin.  I think we may get better merit aid out of a LAC for this kid.  We'll see.  Finding reasonable safety schools for music majors may be challenging. 

Edited by WoolySocks, 06 August 2017 - 09:24 AM.

#109 whitestavern

whitestavern

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3332 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:02 PM

I cannot thank you enough - Wheaton is officially off the list.  I just don't think there is anything compelling enough to warrant a visit.

I am excited to hear about your Lafayette and Muhlenberg visits!  They're practically in my back yard!

Back from this weekend's tours. Dd loved Lafayette and it is currently in third place. I think it's a low reach for her though. She really liked the vibe and the students she met (even the administration that she spoke with briefly) Tour guide was awesome! She liked the campus a lot. They seem strong in English and Environmental Science, which are currently two of her top interests. Muhlenberg she thought was just okay. She's not taking it off the list yet; we'll see where it stands once she's finished with all the tours. She doesn't have any safeties she's really jazzed about so far, so I hope she really likes some of the PA ones we'll be seeing in September and October.

Glad I could help with Wheaton! It's still on dd's list, but again, I'm thinking it may come off after seeing the rest.