What's with the ads?

Photo
- - - - -

How do you prefer classes where everyone is late be dealt with?

90 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 okbud

okbud

Cylon lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11526 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:21 AM

I'm sitting at a weekly class my kids take. We got here 30 minutes ago, and it was supposed to start 20 minutes ago. It hasn't started yet because no one else is here. Just my two, out of fifteen or sixteen kids... 6 or 7 families.

I think they should have started the class on time. I have other stuff to do afterward, so even if they go late and my family "gets our money's worth" it's still like a _thing_ you know what I mean?

Do you guys prefer they start late or that they start on time?

Edited by okbud, 17 July 2017 - 10:21 AM.

• Amy in NH, StephanieZ, Rosie_0801 and 7 others like this

#2 Mimm

Mimm

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4218 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

Start on time. Eventually people will get tired of missing the first part of class. Or not, either way, not my problem. Things like this should start on time, always. I find it incredibly rude to keep people waiting and throw off everyone's schedule.

• VaKim, Lostinabook, Harriet Vane and 41 others like this

#3 Ali in OR

Ali in OR

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5330 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

Start on time! Guess what--people will manage to get there earlier.

• Amy in NH, Excelsior! Academy, Anne and 9 others like this

#4 QueenCat

QueenCat

Queen of the Palapa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9239 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:24 AM

Start on time except for extreme issues that would cause even the teacher to be delayed. Like major accidents that shut down interstate. Delays for minor accidents I have less tolerance for as extra time should be built into travel time to account for minor delays.

• Anne, StephanieZ, Eliana and 11 others like this

#5 MysteryJen

MysteryJen

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3129 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:26 AM

Start on time. This is one of my personal pet peeves.

Why is this even a question? School starts on time, every day.
  • VaKim, Frances, kitten18 and 14 others like this

#6 arctic_bunny

arctic_bunny

Just Visiting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1335 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

Waiting for everyone to arrive seems to just be acknowledging that it's okay and no big deal. You're sure you're there at the right time though? Not that *I've* ever totally mixed up a start time a year after we started it...
  • Annie G, dmmetler, gardenmom5 and 2 others like this

#7 WoolySocks

WoolySocks

Googleplex master of hivedom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8762 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

Absolutely start on time.  Both as a consumer and a teacher. 

• gardenmom5 and Rebel Yell like this

#8 Starr

Starr

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14364 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

I've had it suggested to start Sunday School late because people arrive late but that just changes the start time and those who run late are still late. I'm with the start on time club.

• Ellie, gardenmom5 and Rebel Yell like this

#9 okbud

okbud

Cylon lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11526 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

Other attendees have noted that they love how laid back they are here. I said I hate it and they thought I was joking 😄
  • Sadie and eternalsummer like this

#10 Mimm

Mimm

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4218 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

This is something you must get the teacher on board with. Tell her it's problematic for class to run late for you, and could we change the policy to start on time. He/she can make an announcement that from now on, class will be starting and ending on time.

If the teacher is a habitually late person and doesn't seem to mind at all that the class runs late, then there's probably not a lot you can do about it.

This seems to be a contentious subject, even on the Hive. People who are always late seem to be truly baffled that people who are on time consider their behavior rude.

• Lori D., Annie G, Anne and 8 others like this

#11 happi duck

happi duck

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8418 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:50 AM

Team Start on Time

(and don't stop to catch people up! Wait until a break or a time when students are working independently...iow, when it doesn't impact other students)
  • Ellie, gardenmom5, Rebel Yell and 4 others like this

#12 zoobie

zoobie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10234 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:53 AM

Classes need to start on time. People have other things scheduled in their days.
  • Gaillardia, gardenmom5 and Rebel Yell like this

#13 lmrich

lmrich

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:58 AM

Start on time. 

Sadly, I have started teaching my classes to less than 1/2 too many times to count. It is sad because it is rarely the kids' fault. Traffic around here is terrible, but that is why you leave early. 

• Rebel Yell likes this

#14 Tanaqui

Tanaqui

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7438 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:59 AM

If it was a five minute thing, I'd say it's reasonable to wait for the majority. But it's not. Start on time - and tell the latecomers that if they're more than a certain amount of time late, they won't be admitted for the day because they've missed too much.

Edit: And I say this as somebody who was a full 30 minutes late for a class just last week. We were bringing along my kid's best friend, and at the last minute her mom called her to clean her room. We literally don't speak the same language, and they're not as big on education as we are, so... we waited for them. Because of this we missed the bus, because of that we missed the boat, and because of THAT we were 30 minutes late. But everybody else was on time, and they started without us.

Edited by Tanaqui, 17 July 2017 - 11:02 AM.

• Amy in NH, mamaraby, Rebel Yell and 1 other like this

#15 PinkTulip

PinkTulip

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

Always start right on time. Otherwise you are rewarding people for being late, and punishing people for being punctual.
  • Jackie in AR, Ellie, Mothersweets and 8 others like this

#16 Murphy101

Murphy101

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15523 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

Start in time or get refund. (Within 5 minutes, I'd consider on time.)

I'd be mildly annoyed the first time, but I'd tell the teacher up front that if this isn't going to be professionally run on time, I want a refund. I'd try to say it more diplomatically, but yeah. I paid for A to happen within B time frame. If they fail to provide A or to do it in the time frame I have scheduled my life around - give me a refund bc that is not what I signed up for.

If this was free? Then be as lackadaisical as they want. I might still find it annoying, but hey, you get what you pay for so no sweat off me.

But if they are taking money then at least try to be professional, which means doing what they said in the time frame they said when they took my money,tyvm.
  • Linda in TX, Anne, LMD and 1 other like this

#17 MaeFlowers

MaeFlowers

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1128 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

Start on time. If the schedule says the class starts at ten, it should start at ten. Period. (Okay, five after would be okay.)

I'm pretty flexible about most things but get really particular about being punctual. And don't get me started on doctors' offices...

Edited by MaeFlowers, 17 July 2017 - 11:05 AM.

• gardenmom5, Rebel Yell and Rach like this

#18 gardenmom5

gardenmom5

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18903 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:14 AM

I once lectured a teacher about giving the test the day she said she'd give it - and not holding off becasue the other kids aren't ready.

you're paying for this class - the teacher owes it to those who are there.   I could understand two of fifteen not there - but 13?  wow.

• Rebel Yell likes this

#19 PrincessMommy

PrincessMommy

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6504 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:16 AM

Start on time. This is one of my personal pet peeves.

Why is this even a question? School starts on time, every day.

I agree.  Start on time.. I don't know why this is a thing either. 

• Ellie, gardenmom5 and Rebel Yell like this

#20 Arcadia

Arcadia

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15358 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:16 AM

My kids German Saturday school gives no leeway for the older kids and adult classes, 5 mins leeway for the young kids classes and 15 mins leeway for the under 5 class.
However for the under 5 classes (mommy & me, preschool age), they do circle time and other social interaction activities while waiting for the latecomers to turn up to start new songs and story time. Also it is a 2.5hr class so a 15 mins delay isn't as bad for under 5s.

It is sad because it is rarely the kids' fault. Traffic around here is terrible, but that is why you leave early.

I agree it is not the kids fault unless the kid can walk to the place which was true for some classes my kids took. Traffic around here is terrible too which means if one class does not end on time, children with another class later would have to gobble lunch in the car and possibly be late for the next class. Or they have to leave on time and miss the summary and closing instructions.
  • Rebel Yell likes this

#21 teachermom2834

teachermom2834

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2400 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:25 AM

With meetings, classes, etc. either the people on time or the people who are late are punished. Why is the default to punish the ones who are on time?

I just got used to the lateness in the homeschool world (though I quit a group that ran a full hour behind on field trips,etc.)When my oldest was starting high school we went to a meeting for our new umbrella school and the administrator started exactly on time. She said " I am going to start. Not fair to punish those of you who made it on time to accomodate the latecomers."

I about fell out of my chair because nothing ever started on time. Ever. I loved it. Honestly it made more work for the administrator because she then had to catch people up. But most, not all, of those people pulled it together and started arriving on time.
  • Ellie, Anne, Mothersweets and 2 others like this

#22 regentrude

regentrude

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24362 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:30 AM

I feel very strongly about this. If classes, meetings or events are scheduled for a specific time, they should start precisely at that time. Delaying them until the latecomers get there is rude to the people who made it a priority to be punctual. Also, once the habit establishes that classes begin late, more people will be late, and it becomes a vicious cycle.

If classes always start on time, the people who were late the first time will learn. If they don't, it's their problem. They should not be allowed to inconvenience anybody else.

As an instructor, I always start precisely on time, and in turn make sure I also finish exactly on time. It is a matter of professionalism and courtesy towards the participants who have other committments as well.

Edited by regentrude, 17 July 2017 - 11:32 AM.

• Anne, TrixieB, JennyD and 12 others like this

#23 fairfarmhand

fairfarmhand

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10005 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:45 AM

I wonder about those families.

don;t they ever have things to do afterward?

When I had littles we didn't plan much in our days, but with older kids, I have a packed schedule. And even at that, I have stuff to do at home.

I teach a class and make a huge effort to start on time and end on time.

• Anne, Rebel Yell and Seasider like this

#24 Seasider

Seasider

anchored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8117 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:50 AM

Start the class on time.

In college, my best teachers would also not allow admittance after they started teaching. I mean, anyone who attempted to come in late was asked to leave. One professor also asked any obviously unprepared student (as in called on in class and had not done homework) to leave and "come back next time serious about your education." Can you imagine that with home schoolers?

A local nature center offers wonderful classes for home schoolers, but has taken to locking the classroom door once class starts, no late admits. The classes are free, and local homeschoolers understand this policy and have been conditioned to punctuality - at that venue, at least.

OP, I think your instructor should have given a graceful five minutes and then started the class.
  • Ellie, mom2att, Anne and 3 others like this

#25 Where's Toto?

Where's Toto?

Eclectically Us-Schooling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6354 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:55 AM

One of the first things I told my 4-H group is that we will start on time.  If they come late, they are to come in quietly and take a seat without disrupting anyone if we are still in the business/presentation portion.  If they come after the activity starts and directions have been given, they may or may not be able to participate depending on what the activity is.

I HATE being late.  I'm one of those people who always winds up early because it's hard to judge with traffic around here.   It drives me nuts how so many homeschoolers are perpetually late.   We went on a field trip to a water park a couple years ago.  The person planning posted repeatedly that tickets would be distributed at exactly 9am.  If you were not there on time, she was not going to wait because she wanted her kids to have the most time possible in the park.  I'm talking three or four reminders to NOT BE LATE.   We were there pretty early and waited.  This woman ended up being over 30 minutes late.  Because one of her kids had to pee at the last minute or something.   I was pretty pissed off.  

• Rebel Yell likes this

#26 marbel

marbel

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8045 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:00 PM

Starting late to allow for latecomers trains people to be late.  Eventually some of the people who arrive early/on time will start arriving late, because there's no point to getting there early/on time.   It just gets worse as time goes on.

• Annie G, Calm37, mamaraby and 5 others like this

#27 Tanaqui

Tanaqui

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7438 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:03 PM

Oh, that's hilarious! How long does it even take to pee? (Answer: 21 seconds. Nearly every mammal in the world, it's 21 seconds.)

• Ellie and Rebel Yell like this

#28 OneStepAtATime

OneStepAtATime

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31625 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:18 PM

This becomes a never ending cycle.  If everyone KNOWS the class will start when the bulk of people show up they will just keep showing up when they feel like it.  And for those struggling with executive function issues it will be even more problematic.  The teacher needs to start on time.  Maybe do something lighter for the first 3 minutes but class needs to start on time so people get used to the fact that it starts on time and if they show up late they will miss part of the class.  The teacher needs to set the expectations/boundaries/requirements.  Wishywashy teachers can make learning very, very difficult.

#29 SKL

SKL

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25878 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

Start on time.  After ensuring the time was accurately announced, of course.  :)

I could see doing stupid stuff for the first few minutes as late people rush in.  But after that, nope, and I'd put that in the announcement up front.  "We start class promptly at _:00.  Please be on time so as not to disrupt the learning process."

That way, whoever was late the first time will be more prompt the rest of the term.

• Rebel Yell likes this

#30 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35873 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:34 PM

I find this so rude. 

• Ellie, gardenmom5, Sadie and 1 other like this

#31 G5052

G5052

Retired Homeschool Mom -- they're in college!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9045 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:35 PM

I always started on time with my college and local paid classes. I wrote the agenda, upcoming due dates, and any announcements on the board so they could read them whenever or take a picture with their phone. I told them that they'd have to catch up either by talking to another student or after class. So at the top of the hour I asked for questions, and then dove right in. With that protocol, the vast majority of my students were on time. 

The reality in my area is that the traffic can be a significant problem, but I refuse to take time out from valuable class time to catch up.

One of my college colleagues actually locked the door when he started. If they were late, he would open the door, and they'd have to explain why they were late. He only taught daytime classes though. Mine were all evening ones, so folks were contending with rush hour traffic. So I never did that.

• Rebel Yell likes this

#32 Janeway

Janeway

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3343 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:37 PM

I'm sitting at a weekly class my kids take. We got here 30 minutes ago, and it was supposed to start 20 minutes ago. It hasn't started yet because no one else is here. Just my two, out of fifteen or sixteen kids... 6 or 7 families.

I think they should have started the class on time. I have other stuff to do afterward, so even if they go late and my family "gets our money's worth" it's still like a _thing_ you know what I mean?

Do you guys prefer they start late or that they start on time?

I would quit the class and demand a refund if they repeatedly started late.
  • gardenmom5 likes this

#33 unsinkable

unsinkable

AD QUEM IBIMUS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17109 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:37 PM

I once lectured a teacher about giving the test the day she said she'd give it - and not holding off becasue the other kids aren't ready.
you're paying for this class - the teacher owes it to those who are there. I could understand two of fifteen not there - but 13? wow.

I don't think it is any of your business to "lecture" a teacher about changing a test date.

If a teacher has a philosophy that she wants the students to learn as much as they are capable, and she wants the tests to reflect that in as much as that is possible, then she just might change the test date to achieve that goal.

#34 Farrar

Farrar

Expert Cat Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22337 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:48 PM

Another vote to start on time. It's SO HARD when you're the teacher and that's the culture, but support them in doing so.

#35 Guinevere

Guinevere

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:53 PM

This is one of the reasons I gave up on homeschool groups and co-ops.  It's easier to just do it myself, then to have to wonder what's going on (and wind up doing it myself) all the time.

• waa510, Rebel Yell and SparklyUnicorn like this

#36 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35873 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:55 PM

This is one of the reasons I gave up on homeschool groups and co-ops.  It's easier to just do it myself, then to have to wonder what's going on (and wind up doing it myself) all the time.

Same here.  I cannot handle that level of vagueness.  I want to know when things are going to start and end. 

• Rebel Yell and Guinevere like this

#37 Annie G

Annie G

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7490 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:00 PM

I'm with the 'start on time' crowd. And I notice so far we all agree....pretty amazing. 

• Ellie, Anne, Gaillardia and 1 other like this

#38 Zinnia

Zinnia

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:05 PM

This seems to be a contentious subject, even on the Hive. People who are always late seem to be truly baffled that people who are on time consider their behavior rude.

This.  I had no idea that it was *rude* until I read multiple articles and multiple threads on message boards about it.  Thoughtless?  Silly?  Maybe even annoying.  But I never considered that I was communicating a direct insult to people.  

I have changed my late ways, but I will tell you, the inside of me is still late.   :)  I have to consciously tell myself..."it's okay to be a few minutes early.  The worst that can happen is that you sit in the parking lot for a few minutes.  It's not wasted time, because it's worth it to not be rude to the people you are meeting/the class/whatever.  It's okay to be early..."  I still hate, hate, hate being early but it's less hate than I hate being rude, so I deal with it.

Edited by Zinnia, 17 July 2017 - 01:09 PM.

• Ellie, Anne, abacus2 and 1 other like this

#39 kewb

kewb

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7068 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:39 PM

Start on time. If I call for something to start at x time I can guarantee I will be starting at that time. And I don't start over when the late attendees arrive. The people on time should not be punished because others can not arrive on time.

However, I am flexible on circumstances beyond ones control, such as an accident.

I would be talking to the teacher about expectations as my time is worth something.
  • gardenmom5, Rebel Yell and SparklyUnicorn like this

#40 idnib

idnib

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5183 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:41 PM

Count me in for the "start on time" camp. I like to be early or on time, but the rare times I am late I expect others to start without me.

• Rebel Yell likes this

#41 okbud

okbud

Cylon lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11526 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

I have been late. I mean I don't feel animosity toward late people. But I expect to miss out on stuff when I am late.
  • Mimm, Sadie, Rebel Yell and 1 other like this

#42 Ottakee

Ottakee

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10306 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:10 PM

Is this a homeschool class? In our area homeschoolers got a bad reputation due to several families expecting others to adjust to their lateness, etc. They were just so used to doing things on their own schedules that they didn't make it to classes, etc on time.
  • Rebel Yell likes this

#43 athomeontheprairie

athomeontheprairie

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2127 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:15 PM

We start on time.

Side story... I had an amazing program scheduled. I was extremely clear on start time, and that because of the set up there would be NO late admittance.
But there's always one family.... They were ALWAYS 10 minutes late. That day was no exception. The kids were heart broken. I'd feel bad... Except they knew, it wasn't because of traffic, they just weren't certain they wanted to come. They left in years.

They were never late again
  • Ellie, gardenmom5, Rebel Yell and 1 other like this

#44 regentrude

regentrude

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24362 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:19 PM

I have been late. I mean I don't feel animosity toward late people. But I expect to miss out on stuff when I am late.

The main problem is not the latecomers missing out. It's the latecomers disturbing the people who had their act together and were on time.

I do feel animosity because the student who shows up late to my class disrupts the others around him who are concentrating on the work.

He also distracts the instructor. Speaking in front of an audience is much harder when your train of thought and speech is constantly interrupted by people walking in.

The only acceptable way for the latecomer is to quietly take a seat at the back of the room. Last semester I had a student who was late every.single.time, and proceeded to squeeze through a row to sit in the middle of the lecture hall. He then took several minutes to divest himself of his coat and get his notebooks out of his backpack and created a serious disturbance for all students in his vicinity. I spoke to him numerous times, to no avail.

Edited by regentrude, 17 July 2017 - 02:21 PM.

• QueenCat, mamaraby, gardenmom5 and 4 others like this

#45 okbud

okbud

Cylon lover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11526 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

Not a Homeschool class, and not as important as a unit class either.
  • Rebel Yell likes this

#46 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35873 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

The main problem is not the latecomers missing out. It's the latecomers disturbing the people who had their act together and were on time.

I do feel animosity because the student who shows up late to my class disrupts the others around him who are concentrating on the work.

He also distracts the instructor. Speaking in front of an audience is much harder when your train of thought and speech is constantly interrupted by people walking in.

The only acceptable way for the latecomer is to quietly take a seat at the back of the room. Last semester I had a student who was late every.single.time, and proceeded to squeeze through a row to sit in the middle of the lecture hall. He then took several minutes to divest himself of his coat and get his notebooks out of his backpack and created a serious disturbance for all students in his vicinity. I spoke to him numerous times, to no avail.

And you probably have one of those nearly every semester.  It's like some people don't know how to be on time.  Ever.  I don't understand this.  I might be ridiculous in the other direction because I'm always too early, but I REALLY feel stressed if I'm late and don't like being disruptive.  I need time to settle into my surroundings even if I am used to them.  So granted I don't expect everyone to be as nutso as me about punctuality.  But no there just seems to be some people who are never ever on time and they have no clue how rude they are. 

• regentrude and mom2scouts like this

#47 J-rap

J-rap

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10747 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:27 PM

Start on time.  

That would drive me crazy!

#48 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35873 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:28 PM

Not a Homeschool class, and not as important as a unit class either.

What's the point of having a start time at all if things never start at that time?  And if the instructor moved the time up, how much you wanna bet people would still not be on time?  I mean what on earth...why have time at all?  Doesn't matter.  Just come in whenever...we'll repeat what was said 100,000 times as each person wanders in...

That's just odd stuff. 

• Ellie and regentrude like this

#49 regentrude

regentrude

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24362 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:28 PM

And you probably have one of those nearly every semester. 

Never this bad. Sure, somebody is always late, but never the same person every single freaking time. And never did any other lat student make such a racket.

• SparklyUnicorn likes this

#50 SKL

SKL

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25878 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:36 PM

I am one of those late people.  I suck, I know.  But let me say - I would be much more embarrassed if I found out people held up the class for me, vs. leaving me to catch up on my own once I arrived.

And yes, I would slink silently into the back and hope to be unnoticed if possible.

I did have one teacher ... it was a 7:30am class (I had no choice on that) and I am a night person.  The rooms around mine (graduate dorm) were filled with nanny school students who were loud and obnoxious into the wee hours.  I really tried, but I was a few minutes late at times.  I would slink in as quietly as possible.  But this teacher would stop her lecture to pull out her seating chart and mark me absent and then go on with the lecture.  Man I hated Contracts class ....  :p