Menu

Poll: S/O When did you go gray?

Soror

Gray Hair  

163 members have voted

1. 1. At what age did you have a significant amount of gray hair?

• 20-25 years old
    • 25-30 years old
    • 30-35 years old
    • 35-40 years old
    • 40-45 years old
    • 45-50 years old
    • 50-55 years old
    • 55-60 years old
    • Does not apply to me
  2. 2. I do not have a significant amount of gray hair

• 30-35 years old
    • 35-40 years old
    • 40-45 years old
    • 45-50 years old
    • 50-55 years old
    • 55-60 years old
    • 25-30 years old
    • 20- 25 years old
    • Does not apply to me

I'm 45 and no grays yet. I have red hair, so I believe I'm supposed to go white instead. I'm sure I'll start a thread complaining about it when I discover my first white hair, so you'll all know the very day it happens.

ETA: oddly, I couldn't post in the poll. It said I had to have at least one post on this forum first???

Edited by KungFuPanda

I have never had a significant amount of grey. I am 49 now. But, my natural hair color darkened after my last pregnancy, and it was this not very pretty, very flattering muddy brown with kind of dirty blond highlights. I didn't like it at all so started doing some highlights at the salon to brighten it up. Then I decided that I still didn't like it. Went an all over mahogany brown with some copper and red in the dye so it is a bit of a custom color. I LOVE IT! As long as it is not a budgetary woe, I will keep this forever!

I started getting gray hair the year I had DS. I was 22 when I had him and I blame it all on him. He was a difficult baby. I saw a big jump in gray with each subsequent pregnancy/baby, and had my youngest before I was 30. I don't know if it was stress, nutrition, thyroid, or what, but I don't think it was genetic. My other family members didn't have significant gray until mid 40s or older. I color my hair and don't regret it- I'm too young to be gray! If I get more gray after this next baby, I may as well dye my hair blonde so it blends in more easily. 

I just looked this up and from what I read redheads actually (usually) gray earlier as do other people with lighter hair. I wonder how much is about how noticeable it is. I have uber dark hair those 2-3 gray hairs are very visible, with some shades of lighter hair I'm not sure I'd notice so few. My dh is 3 yrs older and is mostly gray at this point I'd say. It is hard to distinguish sometimes because his hair is light and so short.

I read that redheads actually never turn grey. They go blonde, then white.

I read that redheads actually never turn grey. They go blonde, then white.

That's what happened to my mom. She used to joke that everybody else was going grey, but she was going pink.

She had the most beautiful dark red hair when she was young, then it seemed to slowly turn strawberry blonde and get lighter and lighter. If you looked closely you could see the white hairs mixed with red hairs, of course.

She's 83 and I think it was the Christmas before last when it finally looked like she had white hair instead of very pale strawberry blonde.

I'm 45 and started going gray in the past 5 years. I am a redhead and I think it is less noticeable. I get asked a lot if I've gotten highlights. I even got my haircut recently and the hairdresser asked me about my highlights.

I don't plan on ever coloring it because I just don't want the maintenance.

I'm 50 and have gray at my temples and some throughout, but I still look like I have brown hair. I look more gray if I pull it in a ponytail. I plan to go gray and have never colored my hair. I also don't plan to go very short with it when it's fully gray. 

I am 39.  I have no gray at all.

My husband has had some gray since he was in his late 20s.

My dad did not go gray until he was in his 60s and being treated for cancer.  That's when my mom started going gray, too, actually.

The thread about gray hair made me curious about gray hair. I'm 38 and have noticed a few gray hairs but that's it so far. I'm trying to remember when my Mom turned gray but she was dying so long it is hard to say. I know my grandma had a lot by the time she passed in her 50s but yet again she dyed her hair so I don't know when she started turning.

Fwiw: Google says that Whites tend to start turning gray in their mid 30s, Asians late 30s, and Blacks mid 40s. 

My sister just turned 30 and says that if she didn't color her hair she would be 50% + gray.  (She has medium brown hair.) 

I'm 41 and I have very few white hairs, though more all the time.  I am also a dishwater blonde so that may hide them more.

My grandmother was snow white.  I'm hoping for white with silver. ;)

At 45, I have white streaks at the temples and a few others mixed throughout, but not a lot really. They blend in well with my long, dark blonde hair. I've actually been complimented.

I have a dear friend and an acquaintance who have both let their hair go natural in the past 1-2 years. Wow.  It's gorgeous to be honest.  I wish more people would let their hair go natural.  I really love the silver.

I started going gray during my pregnancy. I thought I would just do foils and gradually go gray as more of my hair became gray. Fast forward about five years and I had a terrible reaction to the hair coloring I had been using (in foils) all along. The reaction was so bad (burns on my neck, ears,  and face) that my doctor told me next time I would end up in the hospital. I never used coloring again. I just let the gray grow out until it was about neck length and cut it. Now it is beyond my shoulders and I have come to terms with that lady in the mirror with the young face and curly salt and pepper hair. It is probably a good thing or I would have rocked my black hair until my eighties.

My blonde grandparents got gray at their temples in their 70's and everywhere in their 80's.  The others didn't live long enough to know.

My mom still isn't gray. She said once she had a few, but I think DH has more because you cannot see them in her hair.   My dad's black hair went white practically overnight after he had a heart attack and a bypass.  I think that was caused by stress (the color change, not the heart problems obviously).  I suppose it could also have been triggered by medications.

I had very dark brown hair, found my first gray hair at 17. My dad was completely white-headed by 40, so I guess I got it from him. I colored through my 20s and most of my 30s, then stopped when I got pregnant at 36. That's when I found out I was heavily gray/white, enough that I got random comments about my cute "grandbaby" when my daughter was little. I colored occasionally after these comments, then decided it was ridiculous to let comments from random teen retail staff influence me into doing something I found overly expensive and a pain, so I quit. I'm now 54 and mostly white/silver with some dark hair sprinkled through.

My husband is just now at 51 starting to show any significant amount of silver in his dark brown hair. His beard was a different matter. It was snow white in his early 40s, so he decided to go clean-shaven.

Fwiw: Google says that Whites tend to start turning gray in their mid 30s, Asians late 30s, and Blacks mid 40s. 

Huh. My grandmother (100% white, afaik) didn't have a significant amount of gray hair until after she was 60+. Since this is an ill-defined concept, I can't really say at what age she *did* have a significant amount of grey hair, but when she died in her early 80s she still had a bunch of dark hair, afaik. My mom is 63 and doesn't have a significant amount of gray hair yet either... she's starting to get some gray hairs. My mom's cousin went completely grey at about 20yo though. I'm almost 33 and haven't seen a single grey hair yet (blond, red, brown, black, yes... but not grey). 

ETA: in other words, you're missing in option in your poll for 60+.

Edited by luuknam

I found my first gray hair at age 13. I had noticeable streaks of silver while still in my teens. Now at 40 yo I'm probably 95% silver/gray. My mother and her sisters were all prematurely gray as well.

My soulmate!