#1 BlsdMama

BlsdMama

Chief Zookeeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6031 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:57 AM

https://www.homescho...he-code-online/

Someone just told me this existed.  ETC has been a staple at our house since about 2000!  So - love it?  Hate it? Anyone care to give a review (or eight) comparing using the online version to the print books?

#2 Alexigail

Alexigail

Just Visiting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1000 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:36 AM

I'd like to know too!

#3 Farrar

Farrar

Expert Cat Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22615 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

There are not words strong enough to express how much I hated it.

#4 Farrar

Farrar

Expert Cat Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22615 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

Sigh. I tried to find an old thread where I detailed what I hated, but I couldn't. It's been awhile. In summary though...

* it's very hard to be fast enough to get passed on

* my kid who was good at video games but could barely read a BOB book surpassed his twin who was reading Magic Treehouse

* I could not seem to get myself passed on from some sections and I assure you I read just fine

* it's not just timed, it's timed typing, which I don't think is developmentally appropriate

* you can't easily control it - every time you want to change what your kid is doing, you can log the kid out, log in, change it, log the kid back in, and then the computer just changes it back because your kid didn't type fast enough

* the pictures, which are cute in the books, are obnoxious when you're trying to figure them out on a timer

Some people love it, of course. I just did not. I have mixed feelings about the workbooks, but we used them pretty much all the way through despite my hatred of the online version.

• BlsdMama and domestic_engineer like this

#5 Targhee

Targhee

Cat Herder Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2695 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:34 PM

Hated it. Really. So did the kids.

#6 BlsdMama

BlsdMama

Chief Zookeeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6031 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:24 AM

Sigh. I tried to find an old thread where I detailed what I hated, but I couldn't. It's been awhile. In summary though...

* my kid who was good at video games but could barely read a BOB book surpassed his twin who was reading Magic Treehouse

* I could not seem to get myself passed on from some sections and I assure you I read just fine

* it's not just timed, it's timed typing, which I don't think is developmentally appropriate

* you can't easily control it - every time you want to change what your kid is doing, you can log the kid out, log in, change it, log the kid back in, and then the computer just changes it back because your kid didn't type fast enough

* the pictures, which are cute in the books, are obnoxious when you're trying to figure them out on a timer

Some people love it, of course. I just did not. I have mixed feelings about the workbooks, but we used them pretty much all the way through despite my hatred of the online version.

This helps SO much.  The speed of typing was actually one of my concerns.  We phase out ETC usually around book 4-5 unless a child particularly struggles.  Because this happens at a pretty young age, their typing skills are not great.  In particular I was considering buying it for a just turned 7 year old who has never been on a keyboard.  

I ordered the printed books.  Thank you Farrar.  This was very valuable for me!

• Farrar likes this

#7 domestic_engineer

domestic_engineer

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:02 AM

Yes!  Thank you!  The information about the timing and the amount of typing expected was very helpful!

• Farrar likes this

#8 Carrousel

Carrousel

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:24 PM

Hated.  Has nothing to do with phonics and everything to do with computer and typing skills.  And the pictures are odd.  Really enjoy using the workbooks though!