Menu

talk to me about DIVE biology

I really liked the fact that you can choose from several different books.  I also liked that statistical analysis is included.  I hated the DVD lessons.  I can live with "whiteboard style" lectures but the experiment sections were literally photographs.  Sometimes annotated but still photos.  Video would have been effective and not technologically difficult.

I also liked being able to pick my textbook and in fact, I made my own syllabus for the DIVE courses we used. We liked the DVD lessons fine. Dr. Shoreman is a bit boring in my opinion, but his explanations are clear and reasonably to the point. The labs are not video labs and are best done by the student. The pictures are just a walk through, like a lab manual. There are enough images to get the data needed if the lab is too expensive to do at home and you want to use his, but don't plan on only using his DVD for labs. I don't think that is the intent at all. They are, as I said, a walk through to take the student through doing the labs. The worksheets give a good review of each lesson, the tests are very reasonable coverage of concepts. The curriculum is well organized, solid coverage of concepts, easy to use and can be done very independently if that is a goal.

It is very Christian and very YE. We used secular texts to balance this. 

• Like 2

Both of mine liked it. My younger one used a BJUP text, and we liked it much better than the Christian Liberty book my older one used. When the older one used it, we tried it with Apologia, and it didn't match very well in terms of the depth of material when he got to a test. I already owned the Christian Liberty book, so he used it. My younger one saw the BJUP books at a friend's house and loved them, so I got used copies of those. She even kept them for several years!

I also gave them background reading from secular sources to balance it out.

It is not terribly engaging at times, but both of mine have talked about it since as being a good choice for us. 

• Like 2