Menu

Equestrian Moms

What type of horse, what sport are you in, and how many years of training has it had? Does it have breeding potential post-career? 

ETA: Also, where are you keeping it? Are you transporting it to shows, races, etc? 

Edited by texasmom33

Hi, thanks!

This is a 9 year old Paint trained Western and English, for all English disciplines up to 6inches but obviously not cross country or such.

I'm western she can do everything up to Trail but has not been trained in Cutting. Which my dd would never want to do anyway.

post career if I understand you correctly would be more of the same if she were to be sold, an beginnings to I ntermediate rider ready to advance.

Yes we are transporting to shows and keeping her at a working show barn with full

Board.

She could breed, she is able and healthy and has a very famous grandfather but because she is mostly white I doubt they would breed her for Paint.

Are you looking at death benefit type of insurance, or insurance against injury or something? Either way, personally, I wouldn't, unless it's just dirt cheap insurance. I guess the question comes down to how much do you have invested in her,  how much are the yearly/monthly insurance rates, and can you afford to replace her if something happened to her? If she had a lot of titles and chance becoming a brood mare afterwards (or was a stallion) I would be more likely to hedge towards yes. But especially at your dd's age, as she progresses, you're probably going to be flipping horses anyway. I wouldn't spend my money there. I'd save it towards vet bills, show equipment and fees, and all of the other costs that add up, or a new horse- depending on which discipline she takes off in. Some kids shift a lot around that age on discipline sometimes and you end up needing a different horse. My dd went from being a head over heels wanting to barrel race to suddenly wanting to go into show jumping on a competition level when she was 12. 

We don't insure our horses of that sort. We did racehorses, but that's a whole different animal. You make your money there AFTER their career is over in most cases, with the breeding fees. At least in the league we were in at the time. We weren't racing for huge purses. 

Maybe Creekland will chime in here- since she ran a business off of it, she might have more insight. But from my experience, unless you start getting into some really high caliber shows and high caliber horses (that cost more than say, your car) I wouldn't right now. 

We have six horses and don't insure them (although we do have special liability coverage for them as part of our homeowner's insurance).

From what I've read and heard, there are both pros and cons to horse insurance. Some people say it is not worth the expense because it doesn't cover certain medical conditions or situations, and other people say it's a great deal and has saved them thousands on vet bills.

I've seen lots of discussions about it on online horse forums, so you might want to check some of those out. Chronicle of the Horse is a good one with loads of helpful information about everything horse-related.

FWIW, Creekland has never insured a horse (or pony).  Ours only have super high value once they start their show careers, and that's not with us.  We've lost some, of course, but not any that could have been saved by expensive surgeries or anything.  Insurance would cost us more than those we've lost TBH.

Even when I showed my own horses/ponies they were never insured.  None were ever worth more than 5K and I never lost any I rode (until old age anyway).  Some of those I kept in shape and/or trained were probably insured, but they were more in the 30K range.  None of them ever had issues when I was around either.

If I were to be in the OP's position and contemplating it, I'd do what Selkie suggested and look for a decent article or pros and cons from a good source.

Ok thanks guys!!! I guess it's something to think about. For us our horse has extreme senatimental value as well as financial value. So I wouldn't want to be waffling on the decision if she needed surgery. I'd want to be able to just say yes.

And God forbid she died, then I'd really love to be able to replace her.

But I've heard that if we do have insurance, it would require the deductible plus the 200.00 post mortem exam...but still even that 500 is less than what we would need for a new horse. :(

But I guess we could just hope it never happens.