Menu

Does this exist -- like WWE, but whole books?

blendergal

We're finishing up WWE1, and it's been a good resource for us. I've used the text and chosen copy work and narration passages from books we're reading. That works fine but it's extra work for me. Hoping to simplify next year, I'm looking at samples of the WWE2 workbook and remembering why I didn't buy the WWE1 workbook originally. I just don't like the idea of working with all those little out-of-context excerpts!

Is there anything like the WWE workbooks (systematic copywork and narration) that schedules short stories or picture books instead of excerpts from full-length novels?

I'm planning to do a handful of Arrows next year, but I like the idea of working more systematically through something like WWE on the side.

I just love the idea of using picture books or short stories for this kind of thing, because you could read the full text in a sitting, without it totally hijacking your literature plans. Maybe I'm dreaming.

Cottage Press Primer 1 schedules from shorter stories if I remember correctly. I want to say Beatrix Potter, a Burgess book and then another short storie type book. I could be remembering that wrong and I am not near my shelf. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Writing Tales uses Aesop and short stories from James Baldwin to teach language arts through copywork, narration, games, and free writing.  It is meant for 3rd-4th, though.

ELTL sounds closest to what you want, even if it does use full length novels for multiple dictation exercises.

English Lessons Through Literature (ELTL) is exactly what you are looking for. Each lesson has a little grammar, a poem, an Aesop Fable (in the early grades) and the copywork is taken from classic literature which is meant to be read. It also has a painting to look at every few lessons. There is also an optional workbook in your preferred font, like print or cursive, which makes it open and go. The author just re-did the series to make it secular and ELTL2 includes Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz and Peter Pan. The author recommends slow reading, which apparently is CM thing, so you only read a couple of chapters every few days and do Lessons 3x week.

Your reasons are the same as my reasons for switching to English Lessons Through Literature. ELTL is actually like WWE and FLL rolled into one, though you could certainly skip the little grammar lessons if your choose. If you like WWE, except the part where you are working purely from excerpts, then you will be satisfied with ELTL. http://barefootmeandering.com/site/

ELTL is what we are using for WWE but I didn't mention it earlier because OP specifically asked for short stories or picture books. Even in ELTL 1 once you move out of Beatrix Potter and Just So Stories you are looking at Jungle Book, Pinocchio and so forth. I LOVE ELTL and think it is my favorite LA so far but they stories definitely don't stay short. They are great sections of stories though!

Thanks for the leads!

I just put ELTL 2 on hold at the library, so I can flip through. I passed it over because the titles didn't seem like an especially good fit for my wild little boys. I might be wrong about that. We like FLL but it has felt slooooow. It might be nice to fold in grammar and drop FLL too.

I was really fixated on Lightning Lit 2 earlier this year, but I never see it discussed much and the samples are really skimpy. I wish I could see more of it. It's not the WWE approach exactly, but I just love the book choices.