Menu

Burkini? Where to buy a cute one?

StephanieZ

So, I'm on a medication that makes me extremely vulnerable to sun. I'm going to (try to) go off of it before our upcoming 10 day trip to the Bahamas -- where literally our entire plan is to hang out in the sun . . . However, as a back up plan, I need a full body sun-proof suit in case I have to go back on it during our trip. . . 

I'm looking at Burkinis on Amazon, and they are acceptable but mostly hideous. Does anyone have any suggestions for more attractive Burkinis somewhere online (with reasonably fast shipping, as I need it in 10 days)? 

(I'm looking for a 3 piece one ideally, with detachable hijab, as I'd likely not wear that when, say, driving, etc, but I do want the hijab, too, if possible, for emergency-sun-allergy-survival mode)

I figured some of the modest mommas here might have insights. 

Thanks much!

As an alternative, there are lots of cute long sleeve rash guards out there (Athleta is having a sale), and swim tights are getting more popular. I found swim capris at Toad & Co yesterday, though it sounds like you'd need full tights. I've seen them at Swim Outlet online.

Would a SPF Buff work for your head and neck?

Sorry if I'm on the wrong track and you are only looking for an actual burkini.

• Like 4

I'm not clear on what would or would not be acceptable, but I have some suggestions.

I own two of these, one in black and one in navy.  The skirt is longer in the plus size.  It comes to about mid-thigh in plus size.  (I don't know what size you are, but if you are plus, then that would be relevant.)  Also, you don't have to cinch it up at all, just tie it, and that keeps the skirt longer.

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-swim-crop-leggings/id_269396?sku_0=::BLA

Lands End also carries a ton of long sleeve rash guards.  They are great.  There are some in tunic styles as well, which look like that might work well for your needs (possibly?):

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-swim-tee-rash-guard/id_246954?sku_0=::WHI

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-long-sleeve-swim-tunic-rash-guard/id_305695_57

LL Bean makes swim capris which are wonderful and light weight.  I own a pair, and cannot say enough good things about them.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/58772?feat=624-GN1&page=beansport-capris&csp=f

My dd got swimtights from Swim Outlet, and they are great.  (Similar to below but navy with a design down the sides.)

https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/sporti-swim-legging-8132437/?q=1&richrelevance&PersonalizedViewedPurchased&search_page.rr1

HTH!

• Like 2

I have a history of melanoma and cover up almost completely in the sun.  This summer I am wearing:

skirted swim leggings from Lands End:

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-swim-crop-leggings/id_269396

a long sleeved swim shirt from Coolibar (bought this a couple of years ago and they no longer seems to have the exact one)

swim visor from Coolibar:

http://www.coolibar.com/product/Women/Swimwear/Swim-Hats/Swim-Visor/pc/2240/c/2186/sc/2212/157376.uts

I also have a selection of hats from Coolibar and Solumbra.

A few general thoughts:

(1) IMO, the problem with women's swim clothing designed primarily for modesty rather than sun protection is that modest clothing usually has much longer skirts, which are not great for actual swimming.  Also, you want headwear with a big brim to keep the sun off your face and neck, as opposed something that is designed chiefly to cover up your hair.

(2) Make sure that whatever top you buy has a rubberized hem to keep it from riding up.

(3) Swim shirts rarely (if ever) have built-in bras, and I can tell you from extensive personal experience that wearing all of this stuff over a one piece suit makes for a spectacularly annoying bathroom experience.  I highly recommend buying a cheap bikini to wear underneath.  Basically, it becomes swim underwear.

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 8

Thanks, all. I'll be perusing your links!! Yay!!

For clarity . . . I'm a "healthy BMI" . . . In US sizing, I'm usually a 10-12 or a size "L" in most things. (I don't like things tight, or I'd be a M in most things.)

I am a Caucasian with fair to medium skin tone & blue eyes. I also have tons of freckles and moles and a strong family history of skin cancer, so I'm already always very diligent about sunscreen/etc. 

I need something that covers *everything possible* as doxycycline can make people so sun hypersensitive that you can get full-thickness burns in a few minutes. (Google doxycline sun sensitivity for some traumatic photos!) This is why I'm looking at the Burkini stuff -- as my emergency plan. 

I already have a long sleeve high SPF rash guard that I would ordinarily wear during all boating/snorkeling/etc on this sort of trip. Ordinarily, on these sorts of trips, when I'm outside in the sun for 10-12 hours a day on or next to the water, I'd keep that on all the time I'm in the water, along with tons of high SPF sunscreen at all times, reapplied frequently. Then when I'm sitting in "the shade" on the beach, I would strip down to a tankini plus some sort of loose cover up. I'm *hoping" that I can go with this "ordinary" sun protection scheme, so long as I can stay off the doxy. I'm just looking for an emergency plan in case I have to go back on it while traveling . . . SOMETHING that can allow me to cover up every square inch so I don't have to sit in the VRBO, looking longingly and tearfully out the window at the beach where my family is enjoying themselves . . .

Unless the sun issues stop me, I'll likely be in the water snorkeling (extremely high sun exposure) for 6 or more hours a day, and otherwise paddle boarding/kayaking/lounging in the sun (with hopefully some umbrella or shade, but still tons of sun exposure, even when you are "in the shade" in that circumstance) during nearly all daylight hours. I know I can do this if I'm off doxy with my "ordinary" sun protection, as we've done it many times (lucky me, I know!!) I just really, really don't want to miss out on this trip!

Thanks again!! Off to peruse your links!!!

Edited by StephanieZ
  • Like 3

I mentioned it upthread, but both Coolibar and Sun Precautions/Solumbra really cater to people in your exact circumstances.  They have absolutely everything -- even gloves, face masks, etc.  

Given your situation, I would also not buy anything that was not advertised as being specifically sun-blocking fabric. 

• Like 5

Also, in my experience the sun sensitivity from Doxy can last for a while AFTER going off the meds. So I'd plan on definitely having the sun protective clothing, even if you are off the meds. Some sources say it lasts a week after, but others say months. 

• Like 4

Since you already have a long sleeve rash guard, I'd look in the wetsuit accessories.   Dive booties and gloves to cover up where you pants and sleeves stop.   

You can also get one piece lyra body suit that goes to ankle and wrists.   Sports bras work for support.  

For face coverings you might look into ski face coverings.  You will look a little odd, but anything that covers your cheeks while in the water will look a little odd.   
Another idea if you can sew is just to buy some spf50 swim fabric and make something to fit you.   I did that myself just recently.  

• Like 1

Thanks so much everyone!!

Good news, the Lyme DR I saw this morning took me off doxy (and on three other ABX . . . but none of them are associated with sun issues). 

So, I've got almost 2 weeks doxy-free before I hit the beach. 

I'm still going to bring sun protection (just in case) and am still shopping, but the DR today assured me that I am NOT among those who become super sun sensitive on doxy, because if I was, I'd have already been burned from casual exposure (getting in and out of car, driving inside a car, etc). SO, I'm super optimistic!!

Thanks again. Will be perusing more links! Lots of great ideas!

• Like 6

Thanks so much everyone!!

Good news, the Lyme DR I saw this morning took me off doxy (and on three other ABX . . . but none of them are associated with sun issues).

So, I've got almost 2 weeks doxy-free before I hit the beach.

I'm still going to bring sun protection (just in case) and am still shopping, but the DR today assured me that I am NOT among those who become super sun sensitive on doxy, because if I was, I'd have already been burned from casual exposure (getting in and out of car, driving inside a car, etc). SO, I'm super optimistic!!

Thanks again. Will be perusing more links! Lots of great ideas!

Yay! That's great news! Fingers crossed... :)

• Like 1

How will you protect your face, particularly when you're in the water.  I think you'll need something different than a hijab, that shades your face, but the reflection from the water is still going to be a problem.

And hands and feet!

• Like 1

I have Coolibar and Private Island Hawaii (PIH) swim leggings and PIH win hands down for me. They are cheaper and fit really well and are super comfy. You can order them from Amazon.

I've worn mine for hours at a time swimming in the ocean when the sun would burn me the worst and have had no problems whatsoever.

• Like 1