Menu

MLA citation for stories from a literature textbook? Quick help!! Anyone??

For the in text citation, use the name of the author of the story, not the editors of the anthology, but use the page number of the story reference where it appears in the collection or text. (this from Duke University's web site )Then for the works cited list (from my Writer's Inc handbook) ex:

Paley, Grace. "A Warning." Telling and Remembering: A Century of American Jewish Poetry. Ed. Steven J. Rubin. Boston: Becon, 1997.

Does that make sense?

momof7,

It looks like you got your answer but for future references, your dd really should have a copy of the "MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers", Sixth Ed. by Joseph Gibaldi. Each of my two girls have their own copy because they use them all the time in community college and in 4-yr university.

I personally think that MLA citation is way more complicated than the old way of doing things!!

My dd#1 is in her third semester of college. So far, all her professors have required citations for every little thing in her papers unless it comes straight from her brain. They've gotten very picky about that. So complicated or not, it is required.

Thanks for the replies. The teacher had told them to use Purdue's site. I have used it frequently in the past with my older kids. But we went to about 10 sites and could not find how to reference longer works like the Iliad that have excerpts in an anthology.

We found references for poems, short stories, etc, but not novels, epic poems, etc. It wouldn't bother me if these were used as teaching opportunities, but she lost a lot of pts off her last paper for having included (pg.) inside her citations. (She turned that paper in without asking me for help for the citations.) She is only in 9th grade and while I made her use MLA last yr, I did not deduct pts, simply marked them wrong. The teacher expects them to learn this on their own.

She ended up using the format Sharon suggested and enclosed the novels and epic poems in the quotation marks b/c she said it looked funny to have two selections underlined.:tongue_smilie: (Obviously not the way I would recommend making future decisions!! BTW, she has no one to blame but herself, really, b/c she procrastinated too long to email her teacher with the question.)

• 3 years later...
Guest cocojambo

Literature textbooks should have last name, first name of author and the rest of the technical information. Here's how it's quoted. Also depends if you have a single author or multiple authors.

• Author names in same format as on the cover page. Only reverse the name of the first author. Title of book. City of Publication: Publisher, Year. Print.
  • Buffett, Mary, and David Clark. Warren Buffett and the Interpretation of Financial Statements. The Search for Company with Durable Competitive Advantage. New York: Scribner, 2008. Print.
  • Source: http://www.mla-format-works-cited.com/

• 4 months later...
Guest cocojambo
Literature textbooks should have last name, first name of author and the rest of the technical information. Here's how it's quoted. Also depends if you have a single author or multiple authors.

• Author names in same format as on the cover page. Only reverse the name of the first author. Title of book. City of Publication: Publisher, Year. Print.
  • Buffett, Mary, and David Clark. Warren Buffett and the Interpretation of Financial Statements. The Search for Company with Durable Competitive Advantage. New York: Scribner, 2008. Print.
  • Source: http://www.workscitedformat.com

Please note, the above resource is now updated.