What's with the ads?

#1 Murphy101

Murphy101

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15522 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:32 PM

Can anyone give me any review at all about them?  Specific to history and science for middle school and or high school would be great.  Either registered for live or recorded?

#2 mwittlans

mwittlans

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

If you're on Facebook, the Catholic Homeschool Mom group has several reviews, https://www.facebook...ps/24164460379/

Edited by mwittlans, 18 July 2017 - 08:26 AM.

#3 chiguirre

chiguirre

RABble raiser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7477 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:31 PM

Trinqueta took their free live study skills class and we listened to a couple of the free Reformation (they called it The Protestant Rebellion) classes. I thought the history class was okay, less indoctrinating than the name implied but not as good as a Teaching Company class. The study skills class was very good and I'd sign T up for Erin Brown's writing class if we weren't enrolled in Memoria Press.

#4 Jamberry77

Jamberry77

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

Hello,

You asked about history and science for middle and high school.  My son took several of Mrs. Stanley's middle school history classes last year (pre-recorded).  Very engaging and not too hard.  My son needs school work that is "just enough" and not too hard, or he shuts down.  I learned a lot watching her classes.  Occasionally there were glitches in the pre-recorded class but not too many.  I have watched bits of the high school level history classes.  Some teachers are more engaging than others.  We'll be watching the most fun ones.

I've only watched bits of the biology course.  For the one I watched, it seemed that the teacher just read her slides, and went very quickly.  My son is taking biology this year, and I'll probably use her slides and do the explaining myself (bio major, but I'll need to read ahead.... if I get motivated, that is.)  I've read many people's reviews of the chemistry class, saying it is awesome (and can be difficult).  I like the variety of science courses offered.

My son has taken two of the writing courses with Mrs. Brown.  I liked them and thought they were thorough and not too difficult (average level, not honors) and that's what my son needs. 

I love the pre-recorded option because I can assign whatever I think my son ought to do for assignments and tests rather than something he would fail at.  I like being able to drop a class and do something else with no extra cost.  I like that you can cancel and rejoin at any time (like summers or a month off for Christmas, if you do that).  I like that he can re-watch a portion several times and pause it to take notes from the screen.  I like that it's being taught by someone other than me, and I'm not reading his text books aloud.  I like that the basic structure of the notes are on the screen to make note-taking easier.

Since you can try one week for only one dollar, and the pre-recorded classes are $30 per month, you might want to see things for yourself.  We'll be using it for four subjects this upcoming year.

I hope this helps.

• TarynB likes this

#5 flyingaway

flyingaway

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 222 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:03 PM

I had a student in the live physics class last year. No complaints from us. I thought the teacher was engaging and the material was covered well. The workload seemed appropriate.
  • counselinggirl and TarynB like this

#6 counselinggirl

counselinggirl

Just Visiting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 03:47 PM

I had a student in the live physics class last year. No complaints from us. I thought the teacher was engaging and the material was covered well. The workload seemed appropriate.

This is great to hear as my DD is registered for the Physics class this year. Teacher seems very organized as we have already received welcome email, syllabus, and other related documents for the class. Excited! :)