Menu

New AOPS pre-algebra class

SoCal_Bear

That's great!

As a side note, I see these classes offered, and I would really like to enroll my dd (in this case she will be oozing this text this coming year), but they are more expensive than my ENTIRE hs budget.

That frustrates me, and makes me kinda sad. And makes me wish my state offered funding

Schole offers a pretty generous withdrawal policy:

Q. What is your refund policy?
A. There is a $75 deposit built into the cost of each course. Withdrawals requested before May 1 are granted a full refund, including the deposit. After May 1, withdrawals are granted a full course refund, less the $75 deposit. Students may withdraw from a course through the second week of classes. After the second week of classes, no refund is given.

I was never taught to take formal notes and still just copy everything the lecturer writes.

I was also never taught. I read a book on study skills last year so that I could teach my dd about note taking. I had developed my own method in college with bullets and abbreviations, but the book taught me a lot more such as reading the text before the class, taking notes from the text first, organizing the notes, leaving empty spaces to fill in after the lecture, leaving space for questions, etc.

There are several good videos on Youtube about note taking.

I was also never taught. I read a book on study skills last year so that I could teach my dd about note taking. I had developed my own method in college with bullets and abbreviations, but the book taught me a lot more such as reading the text before the class, taking notes from the text first, organizing the notes, leaving empty spaces to fill in after the lecture, leaving space for questions, etc.

Do you remember the name of the book you used?

I was also never taught. I read a book on study skills last year so that I could teach my dd about note taking. I had developed my own method in college with bullets and abbreviations, but the book taught me a lot more such as reading the text before the class, taking notes from the text first, organizing the notes, leaving empty spaces to fill in after the lecture, leaving space for questions, etc.

I will do that when my kids are older. To be honest my method worked fine and it is what everyone else did too. I didn't know there were particular ways and it was before the internet so I didn't think about it.

I will do that when my kids are older. To be honest my method worked fine and it is what everyone else did too. I didn't know there were particular ways and it was before the internet so I didn't think about it.

Yes. Several things that homeschooling parents teach were not taught to me in school. :-) I wasn't taught phonics or spelling rules. I learnt via reading and dictation. I wasn't taught literary analysis or formal essay writing rules. I wrote long answers for every subject and improved as the answers grew longer. :)

Calbear, apologies for the off-topic posts.

Do you remember the name of the book you used?

It's a middle-school level book called How To Study For Success. I got it because it is at a simplified level - just enough info that my impatient 12 yo is willing to endure for a boring subject like study skills. :)

Here are other handouts/tips I found online and read/watched with dd:

Notetaking & Listening Skills

Notetaking Made Easy

A Youtube video on notetaking. (All the videos from WatchWellCast are worth watching.)

Edited by nansk
  • Like 2