What's with the ads?

#1 calbear

calbear

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:25 AM

Just saw that Schole Academy is offering AOPS pre-algebra taught by Jill Hodges. It's interesting that more classes are being developed with AOPS curricula.

http://www.scholeaca...llabus-2017.pdf

• SeaConquest and TheAttachedMama like this

#2 athomeontheprairie

athomeontheprairie

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2178 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:49 PM

That's great!

As a side note, I see these classes offered, and I would really like to enroll my dd (in this case she will be oozing this text this coming year), but they are more expensive than my ENTIRE hs budget.
That frustrates me, and makes me kinda sad. And makes me wish my state offered funding

#3 Sweetpea3829

Sweetpea3829

Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2208 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:14 PM

Same here, Prairie. Same here
  • athomeontheprairie likes this

#4 kiwik

kiwik

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5298 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:56 AM

Ds10 is ready for the content but how old would a kid have to be to reach the rest of the criteria? I was never taught to take formal notes and still just copy everything the lecturer writes.

#5 deerforest

deerforest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1277 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:05 AM

She's not even listed as having a mathematics background. I know nothing about that online provider, but why would anyone take the class offered by them?

• Roadrunner likes this

#6 AimeeM

AimeeM

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9645 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:58 PM

nm

Edited by AimeeM, 17 July 2017 - 01:58 PM.

#7 calbear

calbear

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:59 PM

Schole offers a pretty generous withdrawal policy:

Q. What is your refund policy?
A. There is a $75 deposit built into the cost of each course. Withdrawals requested before May 1 are granted a full refund, including the deposit. After May 1, withdrawals are granted a full course refund, less the $75 deposit. Students may withdraw from a course through the second week of classes. After the second week of classes, no refund is given.

#8 kiwik

kiwik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5298 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:11 AM

She's not even listed as having a mathematics background. I know nothing about that online provider, but why would anyone take the class offered by them?

I wondered about that too.

#9 nansk

nansk

Curriculum hoarder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3232 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:52 AM

I was never taught to take formal notes and still just copy everything the lecturer writes.

I was also never taught. I read a book on study skills last year so that I could teach my dd about note taking. I had developed my own method in college with bullets and abbreviations, but the book taught me a lot more such as reading the text before the class, taking notes from the text first, organizing the notes, leaving empty spaces to fill in after the lecture, leaving space for questions, etc.

There are several good videos on Youtube about note taking.

#10 silver

silver

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1069 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:37 AM

I was also never taught. I read a book on study skills last year so that I could teach my dd about note taking. I had developed my own method in college with bullets and abbreviations, but the book taught me a lot more such as reading the text before the class, taking notes from the text first, organizing the notes, leaving empty spaces to fill in after the lecture, leaving space for questions, etc.

Do you remember the name of the book you used?

#11 kiwik

kiwik

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5298 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:05 PM

I was also never taught. I read a book on study skills last year so that I could teach my dd about note taking. I had developed my own method in college with bullets and abbreviations, but the book taught me a lot more such as reading the text before the class, taking notes from the text first, organizing the notes, leaving empty spaces to fill in after the lecture, leaving space for questions, etc.

I will do that when my kids are older. To be honest my method worked fine and it is what everyone else did too. I didn't know there were particular ways and it was before the internet so I didn't think about it.

#12 nansk

nansk

Curriculum hoarder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3232 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:38 PM

I will do that when my kids are older. To be honest my method worked fine and it is what everyone else did too. I didn't know there were particular ways and it was before the internet so I didn't think about it.

Yes. Several things that homeschooling parents teach were not taught to me in school. :-) I wasn't taught phonics or spelling rules. I learnt via reading and dictation. I wasn't taught literary analysis or formal essay writing rules. I wrote long answers for every subject and improved as the answers grew longer. :)

#13 nansk

nansk

Curriculum hoarder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3232 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:40 PM

Calbear, apologies for the off-topic posts.

Do you remember the name of the book you used?

It's a middle-school level book called How To Study For Success. I got it because it is at a simplified level - just enough info that my impatient 12 yo is willing to endure for a boring subject like study skills. :)

Here are other handouts/tips I found online and read/watched with dd:

Notetaking & Listening Skills

Notetaking Made Easy

A Youtube video on notetaking. (All the videos from WatchWellCast are worth watching.)

Edited by nansk, 18 July 2017 - 09:42 PM.

• silver and deBij like this

#14 mommyoffive

mommyoffive

Just Visiting

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2574 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:48 AM

I am not seeing the cost of the class. 

#15 calbear

calbear

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:20 PM

That was the syllabus. Here is the online link to the class description. http://www.scholeaca...se/pre-algebra/