Menu

Don't forget to have your college student opt out of health insurance if not needed

8filltheheart

I had to opt out every year. My advice is submit your pharmacy documentation as well...it wasn't asked for in the initial waiver app, and of course the resubmit couldn't be processed in time for me to avoid paying. I did get my refund, but I didn't need the extra work. And I sure didn't appreciate the scam of not asking for it on the waiver app...state insurance regulations are well defined and they know pharmacy is seperate for many people.

So do all universities have automatic health insurance baked in? It seems so from what you all are saying. How much is it?

Not all universities require this. My student's school does not; it is not asked about at all. I guess it might be filled it out on some form freshman year, but I don't really remember it. I know what the kids have would not be sufficient at other schools, but it has never been asked about at the school.

If a student needs insurance, there is school-sponsored insurance that you can buy...for a semester, for a school year, for a calendar year. That information is available on the website.

• Like 1

So do all universities have automatic health insurance baked in? It seems so from what you all are saying. How much is it?

For domestic students, dd's college does not offer such a thing.  For students on F1 visa, if proof of coverage is not provided by the beginning of the school year, the uni provides and bills it.

mileage will vary I guess :)

YOW! Thanks for taking the time to post a heads-up for those of us new to all this! (We still have a year of high school to go, but I've started taking notes for 2018-19!

Same here. I only know when I was back in college I just went to the student clinic, super cheap even though I had no insurance. Times have changed!

Interesting. I hadn't noticed a health insurance charge for the university my DD attends. I just searched their website and they have health insurance available to degree-seeking students but the only ones automatically enrolled are international students.

No. We didn't have to do this for either of our kids. I did keep an eye out thanks to the warnings though. I would prefer to have been warned and not have the issue than to have gotten stuck with the bill because I didn't know it existed!

• Like 1