What's with the ads?

Photo

All about margins... (drawing them on workbook page)

9 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 LMD

LMD

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3126 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:13 AM

Do you get your kids to draw margins in?
Do you buy pre-margin-ruled paper?
Do you have a preferred margin style?

I remember being taught The Correct Way to draw a margin at school. I forget how to do it now - it was more than just a plain straight line. So far I haven't felt the need to make my kids do them, but I am wondering if it will inspire some more neatness, or if it's one of those things I 'should' show them.

Very serious question, I know! ;)

#2 Arcadia

Arcadia

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15353 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:19 AM

Do you mean something like this link? https://www.printabl.../category/lined

We buy pre-margined college ruled paper during back to school sales.

ETA:
This was what I had to do as a primary school student http://www.wittonpar.../mathsbook2.jpg

Edited by Arcadia, 15 July 2017 - 01:55 AM.

#3 LMD

LMD

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3126 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:56 AM

yes, that's what I mean. I remember having to do something with red and blue and double lines...

#4 Monica_in_Switzerland

Monica_in_Switzerland

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4046 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:11 AM

Most of our paper comes without margins.  If it doesn't have margins, I have the kids draw them in.  I don't make it complicated, they just do one ruler width.  For math, depending on the problem type, I will occasionally have them fold the paper from outside edge to margin to create two equal sized columns to do work in.  

They also draw a top margin, one ruler wide, and write down full name, date, page number of assignment.  

#5 Ellie

Ellie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31103 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:38 AM

You mean to actually, physically *draw* margins?? I have never done that. I never did that in school. o_0

ruled notebook paper usually comes with margins on them; when writing on unlined paper, we just learned to leave margins.

• Rebel Yell likes this

#6 fralala

fralala

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:34 PM

You mean to actually, physically *draw* margins?? I have never done that. I never did that in school. o_0

ruled notebook paper usually comes with margins on them; when writing on unlined paper, we just learned to leave margins.

Maybe drawing margins isn't a common thing in the U.S.A.? I never did it, either, but the link above seems reasonable as a way of keeping things lined up on graph paper.

#7 Rebel Yell

Rebel Yell

Going off the rails on a crazy train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3027 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:22 PM

No preferred margin style. Never had to actually draw them in paper, but I vaguely remember being given direction on what size margin to have on handwritten or typewriter-typed pages.

I did make up my own "work pages" for math from Saxon 4/5 through pre-algebra, but that was because one child could cram 30 problems legibly on one side of paper, and another's was a bit of a random treasure hunt, it just made it easier for me to check their work. It was based in graph paper, and I made copies of it.
  • LMD likes this

#8 LMD

LMD

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3126 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:40 PM

Hehehe, thanks everyone for your thoughts! It is pretty fluffy, but I can't help looking at their un-margin-ruled pages and thinking that it would just look neater! They don't tend to naturally leave a margin.

Now, I just need to find the rulers...

#9 stutterfish

stutterfish

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:48 AM

We had to learn to do it at school (UK). I thought it was a pointless exercise and couldn't understand why we needed instruction - I mean, how hard can it be? That is, until my kids finally needed to draw margins and underline headings, and I found out they couldn't do it - lots of wobbly lines and silhouettes of thumbs, lol!

So, although, I prefer to buy lined paper that already has margins, I have occasionally got my kids to draw margins in, just for some straight line ruler practice. I do think margins make work a little tidier and give a space for question numbers, or adding annotations after a piece is written.
  • LMD likes this

#10 LMD

LMD

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3126 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:11 AM

apparently it's college ruled styles that I learned.

like this one, except I think we used black at the top instead of green...

https://au.pinterest...44228685936641/

Edited by LMD, 16 July 2017 - 07:12 AM.