Menu

All about margins... (drawing them on workbook page)

Do you get your kids to draw margins in?

Do you buy pre-margin-ruled paper?

Do you have a preferred margin style?

I remember being taught The Correct Way to draw a margin at school. I forget how to do it now - it was more than just a plain straight line. So far I haven't felt the need to make my kids do them, but I am wondering if it will inspire some more neatness, or if it's one of those things I 'should' show them.

Very serious question, I know! ;)

Most of our paper comes without margins.  If it doesn't have margins, I have the kids draw them in.  I don't make it complicated, they just do one ruler width.  For math, depending on the problem type, I will occasionally have them fold the paper from outside edge to margin to create two equal sized columns to do work in.  

They also draw a top margin, one ruler wide, and write down full name, date, page number of assignment.  

You mean to actually, physically *draw* margins?? I have never done that. I never did that in school. o_0

ruled notebook paper usually comes with margins on them; when writing on unlined paper, we just learned to leave margins.

• Like 1

You mean to actually, physically *draw* margins?? I have never done that. I never did that in school. o_0

ruled notebook paper usually comes with margins on them; when writing on unlined paper, we just learned to leave margins.

Maybe drawing margins isn't a common thing in the U.S.A.? I never did it, either, but the link above seems reasonable as a way of keeping things lined up on graph paper.

No preferred margin style. Never had to actually draw them in paper, but I vaguely remember being given direction on what size margin to have on handwritten or typewriter-typed pages.

I did make up my own "work pages" for math from Saxon 4/5 through pre-algebra, but that was because one child could cram 30 problems legibly on one side of paper, and another's was a bit of a random treasure hunt, it just made it easier for me to check their work. It was based in graph paper, and I made copies of it.

• Like 1

Hehehe, thanks everyone for your thoughts! It is pretty fluffy, but I can't help looking at their un-margin-ruled pages and thinking that it would just look neater! They don't tend to naturally leave a margin.

Now, I just need to find the rulers...

We had to learn to do it at school (UK). I thought it was a pointless exercise and couldn't understand why we needed instruction - I mean, how hard can it be? That is, until my kids finally needed to draw margins and underline headings, and I found out they couldn't do it - lots of wobbly lines and silhouettes of thumbs, lol!

So, although, I prefer to buy lined paper that already has margins, I have occasionally got my kids to draw margins in, just for some straight line ruler practice. I do think margins make work a little tidier and give a space for question numbers, or adding annotations after a piece is written.

• Like 1