What's with the ads?

#1 Paradox5

Paradox5

The Ordinary Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3683 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:18 PM

I'm thinking of using BJU Life and Earth/Space for the boys' science for the next 2 yrs. Will this be a problem seeing as their maths will not line up to the science level? K12 uses earth/space for 6th, Life for 7th, and Physical for 8th. I would prefer not to use k12 for other reasons so I want to know if BJU can be used in this same sequence?

I am planning on skipping Math 7.

Edited by Paradox5, 15 July 2017 - 01:02 AM.

#2 Caia

Caia

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:32 PM

It has been several years since I have had a child in those classes, but I do not remember math being a major component of them. I think the complexity of the material and or tests might be more of a concern for some kids.  Physical science on the other hand was fairly math intensive.

I did use science 6 with a 6th and 4th grader last year. It was a great course, but I did have to help my younger a little more than normal. I am planning on using earth/space science this coming school year, and the boys will be 5th and 7th. I decided against life science this year because there is a new DVD out, and it has a new teacher (not Mrs. Vick). Mrs. Vick teaches Earth and Space so I want to use her course in case it gets revised soon.

#3 peaceful isle

peaceful isle

mother of the blue eyed ones

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3353 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:29 PM

My dd used BJU earth science two years ago. I don't remember any math involved , but it was a very hard class. I read somewhere that it was comparable to a high school course. I could be wrong, but it sure felt like it.
For that reason, my other dd is taking the BJU life science course this year for 8th grade.

#4 Paradox5

Paradox5

The Ordinary Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3683 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:21 PM

Thank you for the insights. I think we will just stick with the same science levels as their math!

• peaceful isle likes this

#5 Zoo Keeper

Zoo Keeper

Tamer of Man and Beasts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2302 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

BJU science is challenging--those Jr. High books are packed with stuff, and the tests can be picky-picky.  For that reason, I spread out Life Science for 7th and half of 8th for one of mine.  There was no math involved in the Life Science to trip him up, the course was just a step up and he needed more time to work at it. 

Very good course, though.  I taught the course, and we did what labs we could. The bug collection stands out as a highlight. :)

My oldest son did Physical Science this past year (using DIVE science) and the math involved was challenging for him, but we were able to work it out--he was concurrently taking BJU Algebra 1 (mom taught again, and he had to switch courses part way through- math is his nemesis.)  I would NOT try the Physical Science course without having taken a strong Pre-A course first.  BJU's Pre-A is great.

Edited by Zoo Keeper, 16 July 2017 - 05:27 PM.

#6 monalisa

monalisa

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:12 PM

BJU science is challenging--those Jr. High books are packed with stuff, and the tests can be picky-picky.  For that reason, I spread out Life Science for 7th and half of 8th for one of mine.  There was no math involved in the Life Science to trip him up, the course was just a step up and he needed more time to work at it. 

I agree that these are challenging courses. My dd14 just finished Earth/Space Science for 8th and did Life Science for 7th, both using DLO (and both of them took her into the summer to finish).  No math in either course, but they are a big step up in workload from 6th.  I think Earth Science is more difficult than Life.  She had Mrs. Vick for both on DLO, and she was fantastic.  

#7 Janeway

Janeway

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3861 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:29 PM

I'm thinking of using BJU Life and Earth/Space for the boys' science for the next 2 yrs. Will this be a problem seeing as their maths will not line up to the science level? K12 uses earth/space for 6th, Life for 7th, and Physical for 8th. I would prefer not to use k12 for other reasons so I want to know if BJU can be used in this same sequence?

I am planning on skipping Math 7.

I was looking over their books today and they are fairly advanced. Why not use the books in the order BJU intends them for?
  • Paradox5 likes this