• daijobu and quark like this

#2 Crimson Wife

Crimson Wife

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18607 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:33 PM

It's a great school for many fields but not a good choice for future engineers. My DH didn't apply for that reason. Technically they do offer engineering concentrations but a kid who's smart enough to get into Harvard would presumably be competitive at schools that offer a much stronger engineering program like Stanford, MIT, CalTech, Carnegie Mellon, UC Berkeley, Princeton, etc.

• Runningmom80, Katy, luuknam and 1 other like this

#3 Matryoshka

Matryoshka

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10820 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:46 PM

It's a great school for many fields but not a good choice for future engineers. My DH didn't apply for that reason. Technically they do offer engineering concentrations but a kid who's smart enough to get into Harvard would presumably be competitive at schools that offer a much stronger engineering program like Stanford, MIT, CalTech, Carnegie Mellon, UC Berkeley, Princeton, etc.

Dd's class valedictorian picked Harvard over MIT (yes, he got into both) for CompSci. I'm still completely confused why anyone would do that. The salutatorian went to MIT...
  • TerriM likes this

#4 Tanaqui

Tanaqui

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7386 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:49 PM

Has he been watching Good Will Hunting?

• Runningmom80, reign, Katy and 1 other like this

#5 Runningmom80

Runningmom80

Hugger of Books

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:35 PM

Has he been watching Good Will Hunting?

Haha! I don't know where he got it from, he wouldn't elaborate. I just thought it was funny. :)

He's a music guy so if anything he should be fantasizing about Juliard. ;)
  • Crimson Wife, dmmetler, quark and 3 others like this

#6 chocolate-chip chooky

chocolate-chip chooky

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:12 PM

After studying a lot about Newton this year, my then-10yr old decided she plans to study at Trinity, Cambridge, just like Isaac Newton.   :001_smile:

• loesje22000, Twigs, quark and 3 others like this

#7 rushhush08

rushhush08

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:08 AM

I found my 9 years old the other day searching for a list of top universities in Europe and then he read all about the first 20 and created a wish-list of ones to to choose from :)

He reads lots of biographic books though, so he figured out long time ago which are the best :)

• quark, Runningmom80 and 4kookiekids like this

#8 dmmetler

dmmetler

Chasing snakes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13849 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:35 AM

For many years, DD's dream school was University of Florida-because she figured that any school with an alligator for a mascot HAD to be a good place to study Herpetology. Once she started going to conferences, she realized that, yes, they're an awesome herp school-but a lot of their work is on invasive species control, which is one part of Herpetology she doesn't like.
  • loesje22000, shinyhappypeople, Gratia271 and 7 others like this

#9 Runningmom80

Runningmom80

Hugger of Books

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:41 AM

He has no idea what he's talking about other than it's an elite school. Lol
  • quark likes this

#10 Mike in SA

Mike in SA

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1207 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:53 AM

After studying a lot about Newton this year, my then-10yr old decided she plans to study at Trinity, Cambridge, just like Isaac Newton.   :001_smile:

DS10 has wanted to attend Cambridge since he learned that Professor Hawking was there, almost 4 years ago.  He's now starting to widen his field of possibilities, though. :)

• quark and chocolate-chip chooky like this

#11 gstharr

gstharr

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:51 AM

After checking the vinyl/lp section of the thrift store, I head to boys clothing. I look for Nike, Under Armour, and college theme shirts. We have something from all the elite U.S. colleges, and a lot of the European schools.  Last week, I found a Edinburgh sweatshirt in size small.  He rotates his school fashion-- a week of athletic gear, then prep, college theme, and eccentric.  The college themes give us something to talk about-- why they are famous, where they are located, etc. 

• arliemaria, Runningmom80, slackermom and 1 other like this

#12 calbear

calbear

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:11 PM

Totally agree with Harvard not being the best choice for engineering. Much better top ranked schools as mentioned by Crimson Wife. Also, if you want to get recruited to work in the Silicon Valley, then you are far better off with Berkeley or Stanford. It's proximity, but also many tech companies will recruit specifically from only from certain target schools. Often these players are actively involved with the engineering programs at these schools and often influence the evolution of these programs. An easy way to tell is to look at which schools the people in that company tend to hail from. My husband's company Intuit doesn't recruit from MIT at all. Not to say that you don't have a chance, you just have to drive it more than the company actively recruiting you.

• quark and TerriM like this

#13 calbear

calbear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:14 PM

Found this. You can see there is a decidedly West Coast bias...

http://www.businessi...ersities-2015-7

You will notice that there are several schools listed on there that are not top tier schools. I can tell you that people recruited from those schools are generally going to hit a ceiling and likely going to not make it past first line management. Think individual contributors primarily. Those headed for the C-suite/upper level management are going to be predominantly drawn from the top tier schools. Not impossible to get there from a non top tier school...just a harder/more challenging path.

Edited by calbear, 15 July 2017 - 03:21 PM.

#14 mathnerd

mathnerd

Slacker Mom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:29 PM

DS10 has wanted to attend Cambridge since he learned that Professor Hawking was there, almost 4 years ago.  He's now starting to widen his field of possibilities, though. :)

Prof Hawking gives frequent talks at various UCs, just so your DS knows :)

• quark, Runningmom80 and Mike in SA like this

#15 chocolate-chip chooky

chocolate-chip chooky

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:09 PM

Maybe my daughter and your son will cross paths there at some point.  :001_smile:

• quark, Runningmom80 and Mike in SA like this

#16 Runningmom80

Runningmom80

Hugger of Books

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

My ds doesn't have any plans to go into engineering, FTR. I'm not sure if that's a general conversation or if I'm being confused with another poster.
  • shinyhappypeople and okbud like this

#17 Crimson Wife

Crimson Wife

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18607 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:21 PM

My ds doesn't have any plans to go into engineering, FTR. I'm not sure if that's a general conversation or if I'm being confused with another poster.

No, I was replying to the "wicked smart" comment by your DS by pointing out that Harvard isn't necessarily a smart choice for everyone. I was thinking more of my DS, the aspiring biomedical engineer more than anyone else.

#18 mathnerd

mathnerd

Slacker Mom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:39 PM

No, I was replying to the "wicked smart" comment by your DS by pointing out that Harvard isn't necessarily a smart choice for everyone. 

Harvard is not the smartest choice for every one. My friend's daughter who is a talented musician of high caliber and who aspires to be an engineer found the right fit at Yale because that was the smartest choice for her goals - very high levels of instruction in both music and the engineering field of her choice.

• Crimson Wife and quark like this

#19 Ravi B

Ravi B

Just Visiting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:50 PM

Dd's class valedictorian picked Harvard over MIT (yes, he got into both) for CompSci. I'm still completely confused why anyone would do that. The salutatorian went to MIT...

My daughter chose Harvard over MIT (and Stanford and Princeton), and was a computer science major.  You can get a excellent computer science education at Harvard now; it's come a long way in that specific field.  I may be a bit biased because several of my friends are computer science professors at Harvard...

• quark likes this

#20 quark

quark

Celebrating Curiosity!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4957 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:18 PM

One thing I've learned from our application experience is you just never know what's going to happen and what shape things will take 6-7 years from now. When A started talking about "applying to college" (while vehemently asking to be homeschooled through college and grad school too) it was always Harvard this and Cambridge that. Then we toured Harvard one time and MIT the next day and A dropped Harvard from the list like a hot potato and was all swoony-eyed about MIT. Then A took classes at Cal and got all swoony about Cal. Funny thing was when we moved to the US many years ago, I happened upon a news article about Cal's "traditional" running in the nude and tree hugging in the nude activities and was convinced my (then very OCD) kid would probably never ever want to go to UC Berkeley. Ha!! :lol:

• Runningmom80 likes this

#21 Runningmom80

Runningmom80

Hugger of Books

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:32 AM

No, I was replying to the "wicked smart" comment by your DS by pointing out that Harvard isn't necessarily a smart choice for everyone. I was thinking more of my DS, the aspiring biomedical engineer more than anyone else.

I was just sharing it as a funny comment, I realize now that I should have put it in the "they said what?" thread. It wasn't mean to to be a judgment on where kids here go to school. :)
  • katilac, quark, okbud and 2 others like this

#22 Donna

Donna

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3398 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:42 PM

Haha! I don't know where he got it from, he wouldn't elaborate. I just thought it was funny. :)

He's a music guy so if anything he should be fantasizing about Juliard. ;)

Actually there is a dual enrollment option for Harvard and New England Conservatory or for Harvard and Berklee...just fyi.  ;)

• Crimson Wife, quark, Runningmom80 and 1 other like this

#23 TerriM

TerriM

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 264 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:03 PM

My daughter chose Harvard over MIT (and Stanford and Princeton), and was a computer science major.  You can get a excellent computer science education at Harvard now; it's come a long way in that specific field.  I may be a bit biased because several of my friends are computer science professors at Harvard...

Fascintating.  The only comp sci major i knew from Harvard spent a lot of time taking classes and hanging out at MIT.

#24 Evanthe

Evanthe

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6116 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:10 AM

I was just sharing it as a funny comment, I realize now that I should have put it in the "they said what?" thread. It wasn't mean to to be a judgment on where kids here go to school. :)

Well, I thought it was funny.  My kids are eyeing the college two exits down off the highway.  They want to go there, because....wait for it!...that college has a "really good gym".

(My oldest two are *ahem* kinda sports-oriented.)

Edited to add:  Oh, my goodness...I forgot the other reason my kids want to go to college there: "The neighbors go there."   :laugh:   Boy, we are really selective when it comes to colleges.

Edited by Evanthe, 17 July 2017 - 09:17 AM.

• shinyhappypeople, quark, Runningmom80 and 4 others like this

#25 purpleowl

purpleowl

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:29 AM

I was also amused, Runningmom80. :) 

My kids are pretty sure they'll go to Georgia Tech like DH and I did. Even the 8yo, who wants to be a dancer when she grows up. ;) 

• quark and Runningmom80 like this

#26 Caroline

Caroline

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5436 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:24 AM

I was also amused, Runningmom80. :)

My kids are pretty sure they'll go to Georgia Tech like DH and I did. Even the 8yo, who wants to be a dancer when she grows up. ;)

Mine, too! Even the one who wants to be a lawyer for elephants and the one who wants to be a soccer player, when GT has no soccer team. (Oldest just finished his BSME in May and is working full time in his field now after spending 1.5 weeks job searching. So I'm here to say, it worked!)
  • Evanthe, quark, purpleowl and 1 other like this

#27 Runningmom80

Runningmom80

Hugger of Books

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

I should add that my 7 year old son is going to "computer college" because he claims he's never leaving home. :lol:

I just nod and say ok.  :laugh:

• quark and okbud like this

#28 SanDiegoMom in VA

SanDiegoMom in VA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:25 AM

I took the 11 year olds along when we did college touring with my eldest dd. My (then 16) year old HATED my alma mater, UNC-Ch, for the same reason that my younger daughter loved it. It was so lush and green, and everyone looked happy. :-)

My older is escaping to SoCal to get away from all the excessive amounts of tall trees.
  • quark and Black-eyed Suzan like this

#29 mathnerd

mathnerd

Slacker Mom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:44 PM

... It was so lush and green, and everyone looked happy. :-)

My older is escaping to SoCal to get away from all the excessive amounts of tall trees.

Lol! Your daughters win the gold medal for the best reasoning for choosing their universities :)

Edited by mathnerd, 17 July 2017 - 12:45 PM.

• quark and SanDiegoMom in VA like this

#30 luuknam

luuknam

Feeling the Weight of Levity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5221 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:01 PM

Dd's class valedictorian picked Harvard over MIT (yes, he got into both) for CompSci. I'm still completely confused why anyone would do that. 

If you're interested in some very specific kind of research, it might make sense to attend a university that has professors doing that specific kind of research. So, I have no idea what kind of research the comp sci profs at Harvard do, but if you're really into the stuff they do, and the MIT profs focus on different parts of comp sci, I could see picking Harvard over MIT. 

#31 TerriM

TerriM

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 264 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:30 AM

If you're interested in some very specific kind of research, it might make sense to attend a university that has professors doing that specific kind of research. So, I have no idea what kind of research the comp sci profs at Harvard do, but if you're really into the stuff they do, and the MIT profs focus on different parts of comp sci, I could see picking Harvard over MIT. 

True, but EECS comprises about 1/4-1/3 of MIT's undergrads, so that's a pretty wide selection of professors and their research available at MIT.

It's also possible that the kid wanted a more liberal arts focussed education, though.  MIT only require one humanities course per semester.

• daijobu likes this

#32 daijobu

daijobu

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2140 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

Another factor that affects the quality of your college experience is the quality of your student colleagues.  Being on a first name basis with smart successful students who go on to start companies, invest in companies, and do other interesting things is priceless.  If a bunch of smart students interested in CS decide for whatever reason (Zuckerberg?) they want to attend Harvard, then that may be one good reason to go to Harvard.  

Who needs good professors if you're going to drop out anyway?  (jk)

#33 dmmetler

dmmetler

Chasing snakes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13849 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:59 AM

DD's added Villanova to her list-based on "nice people who will talk to me and are doing interesting things". I think we average adding at least one school to the list per conference attended.

#34 gstharr

gstharr

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:48 AM

DD's added Villanova to her list-based on "nice people who will talk to me and are doing interesting things". I think we average adding at least one school to the list per conference attended.

Great school. A relative recently graduated with a very liberal arts degree ( a foreign language).   Went to Google and then became a Fulbright Scholar.