Menu

How much time spent on math?

In rethinking some higher-level math curriculum choices, it occurs to me that expectations for time spent on math may vary widely between (and even within) families. I'd love to get a snapshot of other families -- what's it like for your kids?

- age/grade of student

- math program (AOPS algebra, TT geometry, Thinkwell calculus, etc)

- time spent daily on math

- attitude about math (loves it, tolerates it, cries his way through it, etc)

ETA: Thank you to all who respond! I probably won't comment so that a quick flow of responses can be retained, but I appreciate all comments and it is always interesting to hear how things work for others. Thank you! :)

Edited by Tardis Girl

- 7th grade

- AOPS pre-algebra

- 30 minutes / day

- tolerates it...there have been a few tears, but I chalk that up to the hormones

looking back to some of older kids now graduated:

- 11th grade

- Chalkdust pre-calc

- hour+ a day

- tolerated it (barely)

- 11th + 12th grade

- MUS algebra 2 + pre-calc

- maybe 30-40 minutes/day

- tolerated it (after being unhappier with a more traditional textbook)

Edited by Tardis Girl

I have two kids who love and excel at math; both used AoPS.

DD could binge for several hours in one stretch and might then not work on math for a couple of days.

DS had only a 45 minute-1 hour attention span (gradually increased from middle to high) and did math for that long every day.

DD#1 likes math. She's worked roughly an hour a day consistently since Pre-A. (Abeka Pre-A in 7th, Abeka Algebra in 8th, Jurgensen Geo in 9th, Foerster's Alg 2 in 10th).

DD#2 hates math. She's finishing Abeka Pre-A (rising freshman) this summer & spends roughly an hour a day on math. She'll be moving into Jacobs Algebra 1 in the fall.

age/grade of student - 12 years 7 months /7th grade (8th grade in August)

math program - AoPS prealgebra to AoPS calculus, SM2-6 standard edition before that. He cleared AP Calculus BC exam and SAT Math 2 subject test. Will be starting AoPS intermediate number theory online class next week.

time spent daily on math - 1 to 4 hrs

attitude about math - it is what he do when he is too mentally awake to sleep. He went to math summer day camp recently which was 2.5hrs x 2 sessions per day with a lunch break in between.

age/grade of student - 11 years 7 months/6th grade (7th grade in August)

math program - AoPS prealgebra to AoPS intermediate algebra. Now doing AoPS intro to C&P online class and AoPS intro to NT online class.

time spent daily on math - 2hrs split into short time segments throughout the day. He is easily distracted.

attitude about math - he is my drama king. He has a love-hate relationship with any subject.

- age/grade of student. DD14. Rising 9th

- math program Currently in second half of DO Algebra. Spent same amount of time with AoPS and Jacobs.

- time spent daily on math 1 1/2 to 2 hours

- attitude about math Sometimes, she thinks it is "so much fun" and wants to do math for hours.Sometimes, meh. Directly linked to how successful she is with the topic.

- age/grade of student. 11th grade DS; graduated early

- math program University of Penn classes

- time spent daily on math Hours

- attitude about math LOVES! Will be a math major. :-)

I had never really considered the time spent on math until just a few days ago.... I guess we just are accustomed to doing things the way we do them, so I really appreciate the responses here; it's given me a new factor to consider in the overall high school / math plan here. 

And @Chrysalis -- I can definitely relate to your reply on this! That is my kids.