Menu

Remind me again how OK it is to not finish every book...

For my sanity, please JAWM :D

We have about 3 weeks of school left for this year. I need August off in order to plan for next year. 

My sister, her 4 year old twin boys and her 1 year old son are coming to visit all next week.

My husband needs a break from work so is taking a week of vacation the last week of July.

I am redoing the main entrance room for my house. So, I have paint materials, books, furniture and rugs all over the place while that's being done.

My 7 year old broke her finger (while sitting on the couch..not because of the disarray of my house) and is in a splinted cast for 2 weeks.

So....it's totally ok to call this year done, right? And just plan on taking fewer scheduled breaks next year because the unscheduled ones will take up all our time??

Yes, totally okay!

Hope you can relax and finish your project and enjoy your sister's visit.

Only one quibble: please plan to take scheduled breaks, even though unscheduled ones happen. Unscheduled breaks are seldom truly refreshing.

Time with family and Dad is special, especially if your kids don't see their cousins regularly!

• Like 7

It will be fine! I think, in your shoes, I might look through my oldest dc's math that remains so that I have an idea of what we are not covering. Then I would just note that for extra attention when you re-start for next term/year. That is the only subject I ever worry about in these cases. 

• Like 1

For my sanity, please JAWM :D

We have about 3 weeks of school left for this year. I need August off in order to plan for next year. 

My sister, her 4 year old twin boys and her 1 year old son are coming to visit all next week.

My husband needs a break from work so is taking a week of vacation the last week of July.

I am redoing the main entrance room for my house. So, I have paint materials, books, furniture and rugs all over the place while that's being done.

My 7 year old broke her finger (while sitting on the couch..not because of the disarray of my house) and is in a splinted cast for 2 weeks.

So....it's totally ok to call this year done, right? And just plan on taking fewer scheduled breaks next year because the unscheduled ones will take up all our time??

Of course it's totally ok to be finished. And I wouldn't even worry about scheduling fewer breaks next year. You just do what you can do. It's all good.

• Like 2

My cousin is a science teacher. He was making fun of me last week for the compulsion I feel to complete every lesson, every subject, every year.  

Free yourself from this oppression!  :lol: In all honesty, how well would you and they focus on another three weeks of school with so much going on? Not well enough to make it worthwhile. The work isn't going anywhere. Shelve it and enjoy a few weeks with family and focusing on the home. Both of those will make for a true fresh start in September. Enjoy!

• Like 2

I'm kind of going through the same thing...I feel like I haven't even had a summer yet because I'm plugging along with their lessons on the days we don't have other stuff going on. 

In your case, with only 3 weeks left, I think you should definitely follow the advice of other here and consider yourself done and focus on other things for now!

Enjoy your summer!

Also, when planning for next year, PLAN to skip some lessons. Or plan which lessons can be skippped.

For me, the easiest way to do this is to photocopy or print out the table of contents from each subject/book. I highlight the most important lessons/chapters, and note which ones might take extra time. (For Apologia sciences, there are some modules that recommend taking 3 weeks rather than two) Next I pencil out anything we have recently covered or can easily skip. For example, any "review" lessons at the beginning of Math, if I'm sure they don't need to review "what is a number" :rolleyes: Finally I mark which lessons can be condensed or doubled-up if we need to move quickly, or spend more time on other lessons, or will be covered in the next year. So out of 180 days, I might have 150 lessons (quiz/test days included) so we can take breaks or do other subjects on the "off" days. Also, we usually do tests the same day as a lesson, unless time is short or the test is long. That frees up some days, too.

• Like 3

My parents are both retired public school teachers and when I was stressing about not finishing up one of our books for homeschooling, they both pointed out that they didn't finish all of their textbooks more years than not in 35 years of teaching.  

I stopped stressing about it then.  ;)