What's with the ads?

Photo

Anyone use a tv in the kitchen for schooling?

11 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Sarah0000

Sarah0000

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:43 AM

I'm considering putting a tv in the kitchen so my kid can do art and science with dvd programs somewhat independently away from carpet and fabric furniture. And he could clean everything up easily without dragging messy projects through the house. Has anyone done this? Experiences? What's useful to have available in the space besides storage and clean up supplies?

We usually don't eat in the kitchen but we obviously do cook there. Is it gross to do art where you cook? As long as he learns the habit of venting the big window and thoroughly cleaning up after himself it should be fine right?

#2 2_girls_mommy

2_girls_mommy

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4462 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:00 AM

We just use the laptop for that kind of thing. And we eat, do science, art, and everything else at the same table. 

• pitterpatter, Sadie, Rebel Yell and 1 other like this

#3 greenfields

greenfields

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

We sometimes use a Chromebook at the dining table.

For art, I cover the floor or outside deck with clear plastic to catch paint drips.

Whatever works.

#4 YodaGirl

YodaGirl

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:54 AM

We have one in our dining room/school room. We watch science videos, educational stuff on YouTube & Netflix, brainpop videos, etc. I hook my computer up so they can see it on a larger screen.

#5 nixpix5

nixpix5

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1628 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:14 AM

This is us. We have our computer and television in the homeschool room for math videos, Latin videos, computer programming etc. Then we have a television on the way in our kitchen/rec room space where we have our art table so they can watch art videos or do science experiments. It works great.

#6 Zoo Keeper

Zoo Keeper

Tamer of Man and Beasts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2359 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:05 PM

What kind of art of you talking about ?-- basic, student grade watercolors, acrylics, colored pencils, etc. in the kitchen are fine.  Clean up well afterwards.

Oil paints, turps, mineral spirits, and other mediums need a vent or window and should not be around food prep areas.

Edited by Zoo Keeper, 14 July 2017 - 06:54 PM.

• CadenceSophia likes this

#7 Sarah0000

Sarah0000

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:55 AM

The art program is Home Art Studio Kindergarten. Its on its way and I ordered the supply kit so I really don't know the kinds of materials it uses. I'm guessing it would all be safe for in the kitchen area. I really hope so as I intended for it to be somewhat independent for my five year old.

#8 fralala

fralala

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:10 PM

Like others, we just use the laptop for DVD lessons, which usually do happen (like everything) at the kitchen table. I just put the supplies needed for any given project in my little basket the night before, along with the DVD, so I can set them out on the table in the morning, since our kitchen doesn't contain room for art supply storage. K art supplies are definitely going to be kitchen-safe. If I didn't have the laptop option, I think I'd rather get something like a portable DVD player rather than add a TV to the kitchen, but again, we live in a small space and do DVD lessons only once a week.

#9 Rebel Yell

Rebel Yell

Going off the rails on a crazy train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3186 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:24 PM

We use iPads, phones, or laptops. There really is no place in our eat-in kitchen for a TV, not even if it was in one of those institutional rolling AV carts

#10 Sarah0000

Sarah0000

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:33 PM

I would wall mount the tv so space wouldn't really be an issue.

#11 Goldilocks

Goldilocks

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:18 AM

Our new laptop doesn't have a DVD player, so I bought a small DVD player so that type of instruction could happen anywhere and not be distracting. You can get one for less than $20.

#12 J-rap

J-rap

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11638 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:46 AM

I often bring my laptop in the kitchen for things like that.  And yes, we've done lots of art projects in the kitchen!  I usually cover the floor with newspaper and we do it there.  Or sometimes I bring in a card table.  (We don't have a kitchen table.)  

We also have a small under the counter TV with DVD player that folds up in the kitchen.  We have ours connected to the bottom of a cupboard, just at eye level when I'm standing up.  It is actually our only working TV in the house, because I like to watch the news when I make dinner and PBS documentaries when I clean up.  It's been a great little TV for that, but maybe something like that would work for you?  You'd need to make sure it's in the right spot though, so you're children can see it clearly from where they're working.