What's with the ads?

Photo

8th grade grammar that is independent (mostly)

16 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 BatmansWife

BatmansWife

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4668 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:52 PM

I need something fairly independent for my daughter this next school year (8th grade...turning 14 in October).  I won't totally let her fly solo with grammar....but there will be days, because of my work, that she'll need to do it on her own and I'll check it & discuss it with her when I get home.  

I've literally only had like 5 minutes to think about this, so I'm appealing to you for ideas.  One option is Fix It Grammar (we've used it here and there for the past two years.  I *think* she could do this independently (??).  Another option, that I just remembered 3 minutes ago, is Growing with Grammar.  I think that's fairly easy, so it should be good to use independently (in fact, I think it's meant to be at this age??).  It needs to be secular for our school to buy it.

We tried Easy Grammar this year and it was a flop.  

And, BTW, I just realized that this coming school year will be the last year I'll be on this K-8 board.   :crying:

#2 Paradox5

Paradox5

The Ordinary Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3588 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:35 AM

GWG is what occurred to me first off.
How about Exercisrs in English by Loyola Press? It is secular.
Maybe Zander-Blosrr or Spectrum?
  • BatmansWife likes this

#3 GeoKitty

GeoKitty

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:47 AM

GWG is independent. You can even have her check her own work if you need to.
  • BatmansWife likes this

#4 hhm

hhm

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:27 PM

Hake Grammar would work.

• Hypatia. and BatmansWife like this

#5 SilverMoon

SilverMoon

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8545 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:54 PM

Analytical Grammar
  • rjand4more and BatmansWife like this

#6 chiefcookandbottlewasher

chiefcookandbottlewasher

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:45 PM

Hake Grammar (like Saxon Math) is very thorough, spiral and easy for a student to get through on her own.

• BatmansWife likes this

#7 BatmansWife

BatmansWife

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4668 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:54 PM

Thank you all for these suggestions.  I'll definitely look into them.  

#8 Penelope

Penelope

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2182 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

Analytical Grammar. There were a few times where I needed to go over a concept first, but mostly independent and I'd check afterward and go over any incorrect answers.

I think that it might not be as independent in that grade if there had not been regular grammar instruction before. AG for my child that used it was a lot of review with some extension of concepts and a few new concepts.

Rod and Staff is another that can be mostly independent if you choose the right level (edit- but obviously not secular, so never mind).

Edited by Penelope, 17 July 2017 - 11:20 AM.

• BatmansWife likes this

#9 peaceful isle

peaceful isle

mother of the blue eyed ones

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3337 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:30 PM

I think about essentials In Writing. It has some grammar in it, and then proceeds to teach writing.
  • BatmansWife likes this

#10 birchbark

birchbark

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:36 AM

Another program to look into is Thinking Through Grammar. It is never mentioned around here but I borrowed a copy a few years ago and was impressed with the approach. It is intended to be self-teaching. They are workbooks that use rewriting and sentence-combining.

A program that I used and liked is Daily Grammar Practice. It takes only 5 minutes a day and is independent. It is more practice than instruction, though.

• BatmansWife likes this

#11 BatmansWife

BatmansWife

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4668 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:58 PM

Another program to look into is Thinking Through Grammar. It is never mentioned around here but I borrowed a copy a few years ago and was impressed with the approach. It is intended to be self-teaching. They are workbooks that use rewriting and sentence-combining.

A program that I used and liked is Daily Grammar Practice. It takes only 5 minutes a day and is independent. It is more practice than instruction, though.

I haven't heard of Thinking Through Grammar.  I really like that there are 4 levels for high school too.  It looks like the other book (not the high school ones) is for grades 5th and 6th.  Is there anything for 7th and/or 8th??  I wish there were samples of this online somewhere.  

#12 birchbark

birchbark

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:13 AM

I haven't heard of Thinking Through Grammar.  I really like that there are 4 levels for high school too.  It looks like the other book (not the high school ones) is for grades 5th and 6th.  Is there anything for 7th and/or 8th??  I wish there were samples of this online somewhere.  

I don't think there is anything for 7th/8th. I would just use the freshman level. I ordered a copy from Amazon and then returned it after reviewing it.

#13 BatmansWife

BatmansWife

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4668 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:05 PM

I don't think there is anything for 7th/8th. I would just use the freshman level. I ordered a copy from Amazon and then returned it after reviewing it.

Could you explain why your returned it...what didn't you like?  I'm very uncertain about it since I can't find any samples.  I did see some samples of the sentence combining on their website....and I just don't know....  

Edited by BatmansWife, 23 July 2017 - 07:07 PM.

#14 BatmansWife

BatmansWife

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4668 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:11 PM

Sooo.....what I ended up deciding on is...well, I guess I didn't really completely decide.  I ordered an Exercises in English, another level of Fix It Grammar, and Journey Through Grammar Land.  So....I guess I'll decide after I get these what we'll use...or maybe all 3.  Call me crazy (it won't be the first time)...  

Edited by BatmansWife, 23 July 2017 - 07:21 PM.

#15 birchbark

birchbark

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:39 AM

Could you explain why your returned it...what didn't you like?  I'm very uncertain about it since I can't find any samples.  I did see some samples of the sentence combining on their website....and I just don't know....  

I just didn't need it then. I was looking for future reference. ;)  I may try it next year (2018/2019) for my up-and-coming 6th-grader.

#16 BatmansWife

BatmansWife

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4668 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:09 PM

I just didn't need it then. I was looking for future reference. ;)  I may try it next year (2018/2019) for my up-and-coming 6th-grader.

Oh, ok. Thank you!

#17 eternalsummer

eternalsummer

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3514 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:18 PM

We did Barbarian Digrammarian online with Lukeion and it was great.  Completely independent, very thorough.