Menu

8th grade grammar that is independent (mostly)

BatmansWife

I need something fairly independent for my daughter this next school year (8th grade...turning 14 in October).  I won't totally let her fly solo with grammar....but there will be days, because of my work, that she'll need to do it on her own and I'll check it & discuss it with her when I get home.  

I've literally only had like 5 minutes to think about this, so I'm appealing to you for ideas.  One option is Fix It Grammar (we've used it here and there for the past two years.  I *think* she could do this independently (??).  Another option, that I just remembered 3 minutes ago, is Growing with Grammar.  I think that's fairly easy, so it should be good to use independently (in fact, I think it's meant to be at this age??).  It needs to be secular for our school to buy it.

We tried Easy Grammar this year and it was a flop.  

And, BTW, I just realized that this coming school year will be the last year I'll be on this K-8 board.   :crying:

Analytical Grammar. There were a few times where I needed to go over a concept first, but mostly independent and I'd check afterward and go over any incorrect answers.

I think that it might not be as independent in that grade if there had not been regular grammar instruction before. AG for my child that used it was a lot of review with some extension of concepts and a few new concepts.

Rod and Staff is another that can be mostly independent if you choose the right level (edit- but obviously not secular, so never mind).

Edited by Penelope
  • Like 1

Another program to look into is Thinking Through Grammar. It is never mentioned around here but I borrowed a copy a few years ago and was impressed with the approach. It is intended to be self-teaching. They are workbooks that use rewriting and sentence-combining.

A program that I used and liked is Daily Grammar Practice. It takes only 5 minutes a day and is independent. It is more practice than instruction, though.

• Like 1

Another program to look into is Thinking Through Grammar. It is never mentioned around here but I borrowed a copy a few years ago and was impressed with the approach. It is intended to be self-teaching. They are workbooks that use rewriting and sentence-combining.

A program that I used and liked is Daily Grammar Practice. It takes only 5 minutes a day and is independent. It is more practice than instruction, though.

I haven't heard of Thinking Through Grammar.  I really like that there are 4 levels for high school too.  It looks like the other book (not the high school ones) is for grades 5th and 6th.  Is there anything for 7th and/or 8th??  I wish there were samples of this online somewhere.  

I haven't heard of Thinking Through Grammar.  I really like that there are 4 levels for high school too.  It looks like the other book (not the high school ones) is for grades 5th and 6th.  Is there anything for 7th and/or 8th??  I wish there were samples of this online somewhere.  

I don't think there is anything for 7th/8th. I would just use the freshman level. I ordered a copy from Amazon and then returned it after reviewing it.

I don't think there is anything for 7th/8th. I would just use the freshman level. I ordered a copy from Amazon and then returned it after reviewing it.

Could you explain why your returned it...what didn't you like?  I'm very uncertain about it since I can't find any samples.  I did see some samples of the sentence combining on their website....and I just don't know....  

Edited by BatmansWife

Sooo.....what I ended up deciding on is...well, I guess I didn't really completely decide.  I ordered an Exercises in English, another level of Fix It Grammar, and Journey Through Grammar Land.  So....I guess I'll decide after I get these what we'll use...or maybe all 3.  Call me crazy (it won't be the first time)...  

Edited by BatmansWife

Could you explain why your returned it...what didn't you like?  I'm very uncertain about it since I can't find any samples.  I did see some samples of the sentence combining on their website....and I just don't know....  

I just didn't need it then. I was looking for future reference. ;)  I may try it next year (2018/2019) for my up-and-coming 6th-grader.