Menu

Need support and advice

Gratia271, Here's another more recent study. It's a really good one to read through:

Exercise Improves Behavioral, Neurocognitive, and Scholastic Performance in Children with ADHD

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3556380

I'm not sharing the reasons why I am doing all this research (I'm also starting a study using college/ university texts and other psych books) because lately it seems I am offending the more I share. I just approach things differently than many on this board. I am an older mom, have dealt with quite a bit in my life, and I rely heavily on my own research. Anyway... sharing the research for you to look into. We don't all have to follow the same approach. I just feel it is good to know everything that is out there so that you can find what best works for your family and child. 

I wish you all the best,

Marie

Edited by Guest

I think that part of the issue is that "language" is so broad. For instance, my son's verbal areas are solidly in the gifted category, but they are a LOT lower than his other scores (except things like processing speed). But his earlier scores, at the time he was diagnosed, show the verbal as the highest areas, and he tested (at that point) as having 8th grade plus reading comprehension and things like that.

His language issues are like Swiss cheese, and it's in putting together all the pieces, plus a few little oddball problems with language that look like nothing on paper.

Here are two tests that helped us a LOT. 

TOPS-2 http://www.linguisystems.com/products/product/display?itemid=10440

TNL-2 https://www.superduperinc.com/products/view.aspx?stid=785&s=tnl-2-test-of-narrative-language%C3%A2%E2%82%AC%E2%80%9Csecond-edition#.WWfvuIjysdU

These are both adolescent versions of the test or updates that extend the age range into adolescence, so be careful about that if you opt for language testing.

Terabith, just for your trivia, the SLP we saw for the dynamic assessment (trained by the Social Thinking people) did the TOPS and did something that was roughly equivalent to the TNL. I think the TNL would be better, sure. Either way, these are things that can show holes in gifted kids who otherwise perform quite well. They're holes specifically from the disabilities and they're unexpected. 

• Like 1

Also your kids who don't seem to be as bothered, may be but may show it in some different ways. Or may have needs as well for breaks, but just fortunately have an easier time than your daughter.

I do think it is probably stressful for all your kids, though, and I think having breaks is good.

Also any help you can get I hope you can pursue. I don't know what is best.

Also, I think anything can be a break. Maybe a class or an activity or just going out. I think if your daughter thinks she needs to stay to help, try to get other help and make sure she feels like she can go out.

I hope this doesn't last very long, but advice I got was -- I have to be ready for the longhaul, I can't afford to burn out. This has guided some choices for me. Things have to work for the child, but you must be able to function long term for the child's sake too.

You sound really stressed out and I hope you can find respite of some kind. I think feeling better about your older daughter would be a weight off your mind, too. So if your older daughter sees things are under control -- it will benefit her, too.

My other two bio kids are different in the way the cope with vicissitudes of life- they are much like DH. They also, in all fairness, are not around nearly as much which is to your point about getting out and away.  DD18 is a college intern full time and will head to uni this fall, so she doesn't deal with much pertaining to DD4.  Like DH, she just deals with the people who are in the trenches all day long. 

I would also look into special needs preschool through the school district. I sent one of mine the year he was three, and while we did end up pulling him out part way through the year there were positive aspects to it. Sometimes parents need to enlist every community resource available and this sounds like one of those times.

Has the medication helped at all?

Make sure evaluations include autism spectrum; with a child adopted our of difficult circumstances professionals may be looking for other causes for behavioral difficulties first but ASD is a common cause of sensory difficulties and meltdowns and that is one diagnosis that could help you access additional practical help and therapies.

I will look into the school option.  The meds have eliminated the "zero to rage" incidents that used to be every time something upset her. I went through training with my older daughter to learn de-escalation strategies, but when DD4 used to go from zero to rage in seconds, they really didn't work.  We were taught over and over about preventing escalation, but until we had her on meds, there was no way to prevent it unless we never said no to anything.

The adoption factor causes a lot of people to see it differently, and I don't know whether that is the underlying problem or that DD4 just has these issues.  It's just like with the outbursts; she never directs it at us- she did with her foster mother in the other country, but she really loves everyone here and has never directed anything at us.  Her brain just seems to be stuck in a rut. So, when I traveled for 5 days, she got scared and felt insecure, so her brain pathway went right back to the "fight" mode she had lived in for so long.  I came back, and things calmed down (for her).

• Like 1

Gratia271, Here's another more recent study. It's a really good one to read through:

Exercise Improves Behavioral, Neurocognitive, and Scholastic Performance in Children with ADHD

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3556380

sharing the research for you to look into. We don't all have to follow the same approach. I just feel it is good to know everything that is out there so that you can find what best works for your family and child. 

I wish you all the best,

Marie

Thank you!

Yes, if the child has had trauma, they would be very prone to going into fright/flight very quickly or even going all the way to freeze mode. And kids with autism will go into fright/flight very easily. Then they ruminate or perseverate on the thing that is negative and they get stuck in that cycle.

The de-escalation training may have been strategies for during or when you see an incident coming on. For us, in our house, de-escalation is an all-day, every day. My ds will wake up pretty soon, and as soon as he's awake I'll be in there doing sensory on him. After we do his morning sensory or while we do it (depending on how stable he is, whether he needs apps during the sensory, etc.), we'll do some mindfulness work. Mindfulness is a powerful tool for breaking that negative rumination/perseveration cycle. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4843796/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19851983

https://spectrumnews.org/opinion/guest-blog-understanding-aggression-in-autism/

Say it's ODD, fine. Read across labels. Mindfulness is a strategy used with bi-polar, ADHD, ODD, ASD, you name it. And it can be for calming, but it can also be for a really positive effect to break perseveration. That's how I'm using it now with my ds, and it *seems* to be helping. We take time to stop, think about a happy memory or happy thing, go there in our minds, remember what it tasted like, what it felt like, compare it to something else, really BE there again for a bit. 

I'm not saying it's so great that it's gonna solve everything, but for us it's pieces, little pieces. They add up. So mindfulness PLUS sensory PLUS red-faced time PLUS...

And on the flip side, it can help to build some positive memories like that so you have something to draw from. I always thought it was extravagant when I would read about people taking their kids with autism to Disney over and over, but I get it now. It's giving you something positive to work with when you get back, something to draw on to break that negative rumination cycle. And Disney, that's total sensory! You've got the music, the rides, the intense flavors of the chocolate milk... Like seriously, I know it's expensive (we went with my dad using military discounts), but that kind of big, uber sensory, uber happy experience has given us something to draw on. Maybe there'd be a small scale thing near you you could make happen? Like the fair with kiddie rides? She might really enjoy the rides. Kids who are sensory seekers will often do them over and over and over...

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

Have you actually put her in any sports classes or classes for anything? It's a good age to do it, because the teachers are *expecting* challenging behaviors. They won't be expecting rages and meltdowns, but for a kid to walk off or be non-compliant or need a break, that's not shocking to them at age 4. When she's 9, 10, then it will be. And when you put her in a class, then you're seeing how she compares to her peers, seeing social thinking deficits, etc. So you can see whether she stays with the group plan, whether she notices what other people are doing and gets in line or follows their example (quiet here, etc.). 

We started my ds at the Y with classes (swimming, gymnastics) when he was 5, turning 6. We should have done it much sooner, wow! It wasn't just for the energy though. It's giving you data on how she does in group settings, how her social thinking is, etc. And, of course, it lets you try (haha) to burn off some of that energy. It didn't burn it off for my ds, but you can try. With my ds, you could put him in 3 hours of soccer and then 3 hours of gymnastics, all in the same day, and he was STILL going.

I had two psychs say ADHD was part of my ds' mix, but right now he does not test, on the Quotient, as ADHD at all. Like seriously not at all. He had significant retained reflexes, yes. We got those integrated and he was a different child. I just think the whole ADHD thing is really challenging. They use a checklist that can have lots of explanations. And my dd *is* ADHD, so it's not like I'm saying it doesn't exist. 

Some of these kids turn out to have methylation defects. Does she take any vitamins? Research methylation and bi-polar. I know nobody wants to think bipolar with a 4 yo. But there's so much overlap. So you could look it up, read about methylation defects, see if there's anything there. 

But yeah, as far as classes, there's still time to get her in stuff. Our local rec org has camps, so I'm thinking I'll sign ds up for a couple. Last year we did a ton, and this summer we haven't done any yet. It gives you really good information when you see how she does in other settings, and it lets it be high interest, reinforcing (getting the sensory input while they comply), in a brief setting (1/2 hour, 1 hour)...

• Like 1

I am going to look into some sports classes.  Right now, I am thinking about gymnastics.  Long term, I would like her to fence.  The group thing right now causes significant distraction.  It is hard for her to stay on task in the midst of a lot of stimulation.  There has been some improvement with that with the meds, though.

For vitamins, I have her taking a liquid multi along with Nordic Naturals DHA (liquid). 

There are one on one classes for gym, ballet and dance here for three years old and up for kids who do better individually then in group classes.

My oldest is on Nordic Naturals fish oil since a baby. When I forgot for a few days, his allergies flare up more and he is harder to calm. What was weird for him was that omega 3 only didn't work as well but Omega 3-6-9 did.

My mom came over to help when my kids were little. My oldest is my "clingy monkey". When I took my younger boy (FTT) for blood tests, my older boy held my stinky windbreaker as "ransom" while he stayed at the waiting area with my mom. At night he would "steal" my pillow to sleep. So for him at those ages, security blanket was something I own that is "stinky".

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

They put her on ADHD meds as well or mood stabilizers or both?

There are a lot of ADHD kids in gymnastics. To me, I'd be asking whether she's having the behaviors in the group settings because of ADHD (inattention, impulsivity, a need to move) or social thinking deficits that are keeping her from connecting from the group, from noticing the group plan, from telling her body what to do. 

Edited by OhElizabeth

They put her on ADHD meds as well or mood stabilizers or both?

There are a lot of ADHD kids in gymnastics. To me, I'd be asking whether she's having the behaviors in the group settings because of ADHD (inattention, impulsivity, a need to move) or social thinking deficits that are keeping her from connecting from the group, from noticing the group plan, from telling her body what to do. 

She is on Tenex, which is supposed to help with ODD and ADHD symptoms.  She is calmer and more grounded on the medication.

• Like 1

No, she can't because her affect is so strange.  DH finally set up monitoring for her sleep at night and recorded it.  She doesn't sleep more than about 7 minutes before she has her eyes open and is looking around the room.  I spoke to her doctor again today, and she said we need to get her into a psychiatrist asap.. any psychiatrist.  With the symptom constellation, she is guessing FAS or significant mental illness.  I am simply devastated and have no clue how we are going to be able to live with this little girl.

• Like 1

Please don't quote

This is what my doctor said, especially with kiddos adopted from the Eastern bloc.  When we went through the entire adoption process, we filled out all sorts of paperwork detailing numerous medical conditions etc..that we could manage as a family. We told the adoption service provider and the country staff that FAS was something we could not contend with.  Our international adoption doctor told us what to look for and what to say no to because she has had clients who have had to commit their kids to permanent facilities, and the country went out of their way to misrepresent, cover up  and lie about E.  So we didn't see it. Now it is like a nightmare, and it is tearing apart our family. :crying:

I think we could see it, because there had to be an explanation. There's some overlap in intensity with ASD and FAS. I'm supposed to be making a chocolate cake. That's how I'm solving my day. :(

Anyways, if you start a thread about FAS or google site search for old threads, people will help you. We had a thread recently. I'm sorry it's so hard. 

• Like 1

:grouphug:  I truly hope that having an honest look at the full range of possibilities brings hope and health to your ability to parent this child. I would be horrified to be in this situation if I were expecting something different, and I think you will need some self-care and maybe even therapy to come to terms with that yourself. 

I think this might also be a time to get help for your older kids so that they can figure out how to emotionally relate to the situation. It takes explicit teaching sometimes to reconcile compassion (and super sensitivity) with how to help and/or compartmentalize things, and it's a lot for kids to deal with. Super feelers might actually need some sheltering, and I bet someone can help you do that. 

Are you religious? I have a book that might help on an emotional level if you are.

• Like 1

I recommend this book with a little bit of warning. I feel like the book is very emotionally safe for the stage it's intended to address, but it's a book for when someone is ready to move forward, and you might not be there yet--you're just now figuring out "where" you are accurately. There are parts and pieces that are GREAT for when you are in the throes of anger and despair, but the book does not stay there. If you need time to stay there and work through that, maybe have a good friend or support person read you excerpts out loud, and then come back to the book when it's "time." I strongly suspect that you might need to wait a bit on the book as a whole, but if you can hear a bit from a BTDT person about their own despair, that part might be useful now. I don't at all want to move you through things too fast, but I don't know if I will remember to give you the book title a different time, or if you'll even have much time to pop in and keep us updated.

https://www.amazon.com/Get-Your-Joy-Back-Resentment/dp/0825443393

I am glad to hear you have a plan for your older DD! 

• Like 2

Kbutton brings up a really good point that it's ok to grieve. A lot of people on this board have done a lot of grieving. And they've been through the shock thing. And for some, it's like one after another after another. Like you get the first diagnosis and you're like ok, got this, and then ANOTHER comes that you have to grieve and then ANOTHER... 

Every time, it's new grief. And it's ok to give yourself time to grieve, as long as it takes. Like you've got a really shattered perception there of dream and reality and what you thought was happening and what you thought you could handle. And you've got people saying you won't be able to handle it. I think until you get a psych eval through a hospital clinic or a private neuropsych eval, you're not going to know. I hope they're scheduling that for you. They said psychiatrist, which is working toward meds. But also she's going to need IQ, etc. at some point. The ps can do that or you can do it privately.

I feel really bad that people are telling you you can't handle this. I don't know what's true and what it will take, but I do know we've had threads on the board here about this and that other moms have btdt. Hopefully you can find them and write them and get some camraderie.

• Like 3

So E's pediatrician was able to get her in for an initial evaluation tomorrow since she is now refusing to drink, eat or sleep.  I am not sure what they are going to do or what we can even do in the short term, but I have no clue how to handle this behavior.  She just sits and refuses everything. Has anyone ever encountered this?  We're all at a loss here.

I missed your first post entirely and I hope this isn't relevant (in which case please simply ignore me), but on the off-chance that this may help you or someone else, I will lob out here that eating restriction is not uncommon with PANS/PANDAS (neuropsychiatric behaviors caused by immune misdirection and infection, to make a very long and complex story short).  Indeed, eating restriction is one of the particular behaviors that puts patients on a faster track toward the more heavy-duty immunomodulatory therapies.  I could add lots of links but for now here are just some of the guidelines that were recently released:

The diagnosis of Pediatric Acute-onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome (PANS) is made based on an unusually abrupt onset of obsessive-compulsive (OC) symptoms and/or restricted eating behaviors with at least two comorbid symptoms, including anxiety, emotional lability and/or depression, irritability/oppositionality/ aggression, behavior regression, deterioration in school perfor- mance, sensory or motor abnormalities, and somatic symptoms.

(Just my personal opinion, but the abruptness of onset is something I'd take with a grain of salt as well as other elements presented in the rest of the guidelines here.  I suppose one could call this an "emerging" area of medicine.)

• Like 2

I am not really sure what is going on with my daughter because she has been oppositional and compulsive for some time but only recently has taken her need for control to this level.  Since she was adopted, we have no genetic history or medical records beside her birth date.

If this could be considered an exacerbation and you are interested in exploring further, one of the simpler initial tasks would be a throat swab when you are at the ped tomorrow.  Bear in mind that this is a new and still controversial condition and many peds may not be up to date.

I would not be concerned about the lack of medical history for exploring this angle; there is plenty to learn from the boatload of bloodwork that can be ordered (although ultimately this is a clinical diagnosis).

FWIW, recently I noticed some rumblings/complaints in the various Facebook groups that PANS types of issues in adoptees would typically be assumed to be RAD.

• Like 2

Yes, we had a social worker here several months ago and she said the children were all clearly attached.  Our daughter's problems seem to center on an obsessive need to be in control. I don't know whether it stems from her life in the other country or what.  She is also very small, so she knows we want her eating.  I think there is a lot of battling for control, but at the same time, she is very affectionate and loving toward us which doesn't fit RAD at all.  It is really bizarre. It's like she can't help herself?.

Hmm... I will add a couple of things:  PANS is a bit broader than PANDAS; pandas is a subset that started out as an NIMH doc's narrow approach around twenty yrs ago in order to figure out if this was a real thing.  Notably, one of the key criteria for pandas (criteria that have been tweaked many times over the years) is something to do with separation anxiety.  It is presumed that the fear/anxiety in the basal ganglia dramatically overrides any logic going on in the frontal cortex and it really does look very weird because the behavior doesn't make logical sense.

One of the more difficult parts of the pans mess is finding expertise, though an open-minded ped who wants to help can go a long way toward uncovering helpful info and getting started with the basics.  If you think you are looking at OCD and eating restriction in a 4 y.o., I would not hesitate to check this stuff out, starting with asking for the swab (mentally prepare to be dismissed).

eta, some of the history of the condition is presented in this magazine article:  http://discovermagazine.com/2017/april-2017/hidden-invaders

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 2

I apologize if any of this doesn't fit or has already been said.  I haven't been able to read all the previous posts.  You could investigate the Cunningham Panel to test for Pandas.  Also, I would recommend the book The Connected Child by Karyn Purvis.  I will keep you in my prayers.  I can relate a little bit to your situation.  I have an older child adopted at 2.5 from the US foster system.  We received his family's history after adoption.  I don't know if it would've made a difference in our decision to adopt him, but I know it would've most likely prompted us for further testing and investigation.  We now have a child who we don't know if he'll ever be able to live alone due to do a variety of reasons.  I love him to pieces, but it is very challenging and the future scares me.  

• Like 1

I have read and re-read Karyn Purvis' book and attended a seminar where she spoke prior to passing away.  She was such an inspiring woman!

We are trying to figure out how to handle E and to love her for all that she is.  It's very difficult to cope with in such a busy home and with so little sleep.

I love him to pieces, but it is very challenging and the future scares me.  

:grouphug:   :grouphug:   :grouphug:

We are trying to figure out how to handle E and to love her for all that she is.  It's very difficult to cope with in such a busy home and with so little sleep.

I hope you get some answers and options/ solutions, soon!

:grouphug:   :grouphug:   :grouphug:

Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

So we had an intake appointment today to get an idea of what is going on with E.  They came up with PTSD, which we already knew due to her hypervigilance.  We will see a psychiatrist in mid-late August and, until then, they said "hang in there."  This little girl is a mess.  Are we supposed to wait until she is dehydrated and crazy from sleep deprivation?  No matter what we try she forces herself to stay awake, only nodding off for 5-7 minutes most of the time and will only drink about 8 oz each day.  On the rare occasion, she will rest for about 45 minutes. We are motion capturing this, so we have confirmed it is going on.   With lack of food and sleep, it's no surprise to us she acts so horrible.  Her ped has had her on Tenex (3mg) and melatonin (5mg), neither of which seem to improve her sleep. 

Would you be able to get her in for a sleep study soon? Melatonin doesn't work for me even though it does work for some of my cousins. A sleep study was proposed for my younger boy because he didn't sleep well and his pediatrician wanted to rule out sleep apnea. Our insurance would cover a sleep study. My boy had dark eye circles despite sleeping 8-10hrs per night at that time.

:grouphug:

• Like 1

Can you return to your pediatrician to seek more immediate help for some of the symptoms? Did the pediatrician run a strep test?

I'm so sorry to read of these troubles. We are an adoptive family as well, and our kids have a long list of diagnoses related to behavior, social, and learning, so I understand some of the emotions you are facing, even though our medical issues have not been as severe.

I've had some very dark days, myself, and I had become very isolated while homeschooling. I was so worn out from dealing with things at home, that I didn't have energy to reach out to others or care for myself the way I should have. While you work to find help for your daughter, please try to care for yourself.

Can you ask anyone from church to come to your home so that you can either rest or go out for a bit? Just two hours for a nap might help?? Can your husband take some time off of work?

If you really can't get rest yourself, because you don't think the options will work, can you call your pastor or a friend and tell them what is happening. It feel less helpless if you feel less alone.

I couldn't bring myself to do these things (although DH did help a lot and sometimes come home from work), and I think it is because I'm sure I was in depression. I knew I was depressed, but I still couldn't see a way to help myself out of it.

You may not feel depressed. That's just an example of a situation in which a mom helping herself more effectively would have made helping the kids seem more possible.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 2

Would you be able to get her in for a sleep study soon? Melatonin doesn't work for me even though it does work for some of my cousins. A sleep study was proposed for my younger boy because he didn't sleep well and his pediatrician wanted to rule out sleep apnea. Our insurance would cover a sleep study. My boy had dark eye circles despite sleeping 8-10hrs per night at that time.

I am going to ask my ped for this because I think it might help them better understand what we are trying to live with here.  Here little body is just worn out.

Storygirl,

Thank you for your kind words!  It is very isolating and difficult to get much of anything done. When I returned from the appt today, I called E's ped to see if there is anything else we can do.  I am supposed to be preparing for fall semester with DD15 and DS15 along with getting lists together for DD18 whose heading off for her first year of college.  With all of the emotional upheaval around here, it's hard to even think clearly some days. DH cares so much but is a busy consultant, so his emergencies usually consist of addressing client needs.  I am really hoping the ped. can do something for E.

• Like 1

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/562474-duct-tape-your-children/page-2?hl=%2Bduct+%2Btape&do=findComment&comment=6569975

Here is that thread. Maybe it will give you a few ideas to try while you wait for the appointments.

I wonder if there is any way for the pediatrician to get you into a specialist sooner? Could they call and bump you up?

• Like 1

Do you think a weighted blanket might help calm her system down to sleep?

My sub-culture use a weighted bolster to calm babies and toddlers to sleep. It is handmade, goes across their tummies and is filled with dried green pea/bean husks or rice husks or buckwheat husks. My older boy needed me to put my hand on his chest to fall sleep when he was a baby all the way to probably over 8 years old. We moved to the US when he was 8 months old and then moved 3 times in 9 months so it was unsettling times for him. He was intense from newborn.

Link shows the instructions to make something similar to the weighted bolster we used. http://brighterspecialneeds.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/the-weight-of-world-on-your-shoulders.html

• Like 3

You said she has sensory problems, right? Honestly, I would get her a massage. Yes, a licensed massage therapist will work on a child. If she will accept it, I would get her a massage. It will be peaceful, and you may learn useful information. Now I'm saying that, and it could be all wrong advice if she experienced some form of assault previously. I'm just saying I get massage and my dd had massage a few times as a child. Kids really like it, and it's calming for them. It would be short, like 1/2 hour.

Also, I use a product Calm Child with my kids. I don't know if it will interact with the Tenex. I know nothing about prescriptions. Obviously be very careful. 

You can also do Epsom salt baths. Walmart sells a product that has lavendar in the epsom salts. My ds also likes the lavendar bubble bath from the same company. It has essential oils I think, not only perfumes. I don't know, we like it. A warm bath with lavender and the epsom salts can be calming. It can also stimulate the bowels. 

Will she take popsicles? 

Will she rest and watch movies with you?

Those are things I do when my ds is having a hard time. Sometimes being *together* is something.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 3

Gratia271, 

I don't have much time to go through all the posts but I did read yours and just wanted to say a few things. Did you notice when this extreme behavior of not eating and drinking started? I believe she has been taking Tenex for a while, right? How about the Melatonin? I would look up the side effects from both. At this stage, her age, and everything else factored in, she would be unable to verbalize if she is experiencing any of the side effects. 

Here's a quote from the Mayo Clinic with a few of the side effects from Melatonin:

We had some of the side effects listed here and I stopped it 5 weeks into it. I actually stopped it at 4 weeks and resumed about a week or so later to make sure I wasn't just seeing things. Sure enough, it was the melatonin. I have never used it since. Same with some of the supplements we were using (fish oil and probiotic) by a specific company. It is the way it is for my 8 yr old, which is another reason why I am so reluctant about using ADHD meds with him. 

I don't think the side effect angle was mentioned, which is why I thought I would bring it up. 

I think the Tenex has diminished her appetite but have not noticed other bad effects.  I will check out the melatonin.  So far it seems to make no difference, so I am not really sure I want to continue it.  I hate the medication thing, but little E needs to calm down and sleep somehow. 

You said she has sensory problems, right? Honestly, I would get her a massage. Yes, a licensed massage therapist will work on a child. If she will accept it, I would get her a massage. It will be peaceful, and you may learn useful information. Now I'm saying that, and it could be all wrong advice if she experienced some form of assault previously. I'm just saying I get massage and my dd had massage a few times as a child. Kids really like it, and it's calming for them. It would be short, like 1/2 hour.

Also, I use a product Calm Child with my kids. I don't know if it will interact with the Tenex. I know nothing about prescriptions. Obviously be very careful. 

You can also do Epsom salt baths. Walmart sells a product that has lavendar in the epsom salts. My ds also likes the lavendar bubble bath from the same company. It has essential oils I think, not only perfumes. I don't know, we like it. A warm bath with lavender and the epsom salts can be calming. It can also stimulate the bowels. 

Will she take popsicles? 

Will she rest and watch movies with you?

Those are things I do when my ds is having a hard time. Sometimes being *together* is something.

I will try the Epsom salts.  She takes warm baths but I hadn't thought of that.  DH thought maybe a magnesium supplement would help. I looked at Calm Child, and it looks really good.  I know of a chiro around here who works with kiddos, so I may see if she is trained in massage therapy.  She will rest with us; she just doesn't really sleep. 

Given her hypervigilance, DH and I are really beginning to wonder whether she was abused. It is not apparent in any classic way, but her hyperfixation on not sleeping really makes us wonder anymore what happened at night.