Menu

Ear, Throat and jaw pain...virus?

I have recently been plagued with pain in my throat, jaw and ear (only on the right side). I called my dentist thinking I may have an abcess, but was told there is something going around with these symptoms and both the nurse and dr. had just recovered. Any one out there having these symptoms? Is it a virus? Bacterial? Just curious at 7 am in the morning.:confused:

I think I may have this. The gland on the left side of my neck has been swollen and very tender. At first the pain and tenderness was up under my jaw on that side. Gradually the pain and tenderness became more localized to the swollen gland. My throat hasn't hurt, though my left ear has hurt off and on. I haven't had any fever and have felt like I was fighting a nasty cold with out the conjestion etc.. of a cold. I've had these symptoms since Mon. Today, the swelling and tenderness are minimal, but I still feel like I'm fighting a cold, head achy and a little puny. I'll take this over a nasty head cold anyday though.

Yep, it has gone through our house. I'm pretty sure it is viral. Now that I have ministered to everyone in the house, I am coming down with it. My mommy "will it away" is not working yet. Dh's has morphed into a sinus infection - what else is new?!?!

Oh no! Does that mean it is heading to the N?W Chicago suburbs, too!!!!

So, any advice? Did any in your house get fevers? How long does it last? The timing for this is perfect:001_huh:...my husband just left town for 2 weeks, I have 5 children to care for and a business to run...

Yep, it has gone through our house. I'm pretty sure it is viral. Now that I have ministered to everyone in the house, I am coming down with it. My mommy "will it away" is not working yet. Dh's has morphed into a sinus infection - what else is new?!?!

I didn't notice any fevers, but I rarely pull out the thermometer unless they feel hot to me. So, they may have had low-grade fevers that I didn't notice. It seemed to start with the sore throat, swollen glands which seems related to the neck pain and sore jaw, general achiness. Then came the itchy eyes and water works. We have gone through 3 boxes of kleenex and counting and lots of red, raw noses to show for it. DD also has a cough, but she seems to get a long lasting cough every fall/winter. My other children do not seem to have this variation - but dh does - the one with the sinus infection. He gets a sinus infection every fall, so I would not say that this is the usual course of the disease.

• 9 months later...
Guest dental2009
I have recently been plagued with pain in my throat, jaw and ear (only on the right side). I called my dentist thinking I may have an abcess, but was told there is something going around with these symptoms and both the nurse and dr. had just recovered. Any one out there having these symptoms? Is it a virus? Bacterial? Just curious at 7 am in the morning.:confused:

Hi mamagina7,

You should check out in getting a mouth guard. I am in no way suggesting that this will be an absolute cure for if you suffer from "TMJ" (Still see a doctor), but this will be a short-term solution to alleviating your jaw pain and protecting your teeth from grinding/clenching any further. Check out http://www.totalgard.com for affordable night guards .. good luck!