Menu

ASD = Mental Illness?

What is the difference?  I know "mental illness" has a negative vibe and that is why I assume people are so vehemently against labeling it as such, but if it is something that causes one difficulty, like other mental disorders, what makes it different than that?

Read the actual thread.  I think you will see that it has nothing to do with any kind of a negative vibe. 

I'm sure that it is partly my personality speaking, but I don't feel like I can do the best advocating / supporting / seeking treatment if I don't parse out some of the things that my child is facing in their attendant categories.  I know that there is overlap in many things.  But  sometimes looking at it as a whole can be overwhelming but addressing certain aspects one at a time can simplify things to some extent and make it manageable.  We call it peeling back the layers of the onion.  Now obviously people are not onions and we can't forget the whole person either so sometimes I toggle back to a more holistic approach as well.  But this is why I do care to some degree about the details of labels even though the person is so much more than a label. 

• Like 1

8FilltheHeart, the main focus of the article was on the research, not to take a position for or against neurodiversity. Where neurodiversity is concerned, I don't worry too much about expressing my opinion because I know it is something many people have strong feelings for or against. I like keeping an open mind, and try to process thoughts, research, or whatever I come across, with that mentality. I like to learn things and I take what fits me and my family and makes sense to me. I do my own research through books and other professional resources and don't base my thoughts on other parents' experiences with their kids, although I do take them into account.

As for adults with ASD, the newer generation of autistic kids have more options in terms of interventions than the adults. Each family and each child is also unique, they have a different blend of labels, and a different blend of interventions, therefore their needs, abilities, and how they will function in the future as adults will differ. I focus on my own unique situation, my own two boys. That is all I have time to focus on and do something about. I follow the research so that I can stay informed on how to better help my kids. We take things as they come and act accordingly. We are fully prepared to support our kids through life, if need be. I consider my kids a blessing from God and it is my responsibility to do whatever is in my power and whatever God directs me to to ensure they have the life and future he intends for them. 

Edited by Guest

I don't buy the neurodiversity arguments hook, line and sinker.  But it is nice to have some perspectives that are positive with regards to ASD wiring.  At least those parts of the ASD wiring which are more "neutral" in impact.  But it may well be that this is a distinction that only those on the highest levels of the spectrum can truly enjoy.  (Just musing here. )  I know that my son will never be NT but I guess I wish for him to be able to have a positive sense of self. 

Also, there is not just one opinion or one united voice when it comes to the advocates of neurodiversity. Temple Grandin, for example, may support that people with ASD have their own unique wiring, and she is the one that talks about the engineers, etc. but she also advocates for interventions, for one-on-one time with the child, etc. Do I feel that people with autism have their own unique wiring? I most certainly do. Do I believe that they also come with their own unique challenges? Absolutely. But I take my own position on all these things and my position is based on my own family and my own two boys.  

Edited by Guest

I'm sure that it is partly my personality speaking, but I don't feel like I can do the best advocating / supporting / seeking treatment if I don't parse out some of the things that my child is facing in their attendant categories.  I know that there is overlap in many things.  But  sometimes looking at it as a whole can be overwhelming but addressing certain aspects one at a time can simplify things to some extent and make it manageable.  We call it peeling back the layers of the onion.  Now obviously people are not onions and we can't forget the whole person either so sometimes I toggle back to a more holistic approach as well.  But this is why I do care to some degree about the details of labels even though the person is so much more than a label. 

I do that as well.   Sometimes he needs reminding of why he is reacting to something the way he is and discussing it in terms of labels is sometimes the easiest way.

I don't buy the neurodiversity arguments hook, line and sinker.  But it is nice to have some perspectives that are positive with regards to ASD wiring.  At least those parts of the ASD wiring which are more "neutral" in impact.  But it may well be that this is a distinction that only those on the highest levels of the spectrum can truly enjoy.  (Just musing here. )  I know that my son will never be NT but I guess I wish for him to be able to have a positive sense of self. 

I believe we all hope our kids will have a positive sense of self and try to help them have that.  I know my ds struggles hugely with this issue b/c he is so acutely aware of what he doesn't have and wishes he did.  Seeing his younger siblings achieving goals that he can't manage only intensifies his sense of loss.  It is hard for him.  Period.  That is the long and short of it.

• Like 2

8FilltheHeart, there are therapists that work with adults with autism, helping them in all the areas you have mentioned here with your son. I just don't know how that works in terms of funding etc. where you are. Sometimes an outside person, one that is not directly related to the individual, can be much more effective than those of us that are too close to the situation. I sincerely hope your son can find a way past what is holding him back and have a life that he and you, his family, can feel happy about. This is something that Barry Prizant's book Uniquely Human touches on. What each family is comfortable with or considers a happy successful life will be different for each family. We each find our own normal!

Edited by Guest

It is a neurological disorder, not a mental illness. It has to do with how the brain is wired rather than a biochemical imbalance. That is why medication doesn't do much for ASD, unlike depression, anxiety, bipolar, OCD, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are many mental illnesses that have not been (yet) proven to be biochemical. 

• Like 1

I did. I guess I didn't explain myself well.

I am truly just interested in the discussion, but honestly do not mean any disrespect by asking a question.

No problem with asking questions but it seemed like you were making an assumption about why I started the thread. It really was a matter of not hearing it categorized like that before. Many, my son included, do take advantage of specific mental health treatments. I don't have a problem with that. But I see that as only one aspect or comorbidity (not sure exactly which) of a bigger more complex condition that I personally think is primarily neurodevelpmental. Others might define and categorize it differently as you can see even on this thread.

• Like 2

8FilltheHeart, there are therapists that work with adults with autism, helping them in all the areas you have mentioned here with your son. I just don't know how that works in terms of funding etc. where you are. Sometimes an outside person, one that is not directly related to the individual, can be much more effective than those of us that are too close to the situation. I sincerely hope your son can find a way past what is holding him back and have a life that he and you, his family, can feel happy about. This is something that Barry Prizant's book Uniquely Human touches on. What each family is comfortable with or considers a happy successful life will be different for each family. We each find our own normal!

Your last few posts demonstrate that you and I don't communicate well and that this conversation via posts is pointless, so this is my last post in this thread. I need to focus on finishing settling into our new location anyway.

Our ds has been in therapy. His issues are not ones that he will be overcoming and moving past toward what HE sees as a happy successful life. He knows that and HE is processing that loss. Intellectually he knows he is not capable of doing everything that needs to be done as a parent, but it doesn't mean it isn't painful to acknowledge. He is 25 and surrounded by friends and family getting married and having babies.

I am not going to make a post listing his struggles and what we have done in attempt to help him move beyond them. The fact is that he hasn't been able to move beyond them. That pretty much sums up why I read your last couple of posts as insulting.

We love our ds for who he is. He is a blessing in our lives. (I am sure you didn't intend you post to come across as suggesting that you held that view toward your children and we don't toward our ds.) It does not change the fact that he sees his disabilities as real and limiting and it is painful for him to accept. Wanting something to be so (for example,being able to be a good parent) and the reality of it are not equivalent. It doesn't take anyone telling him that. He is very aware of the fact that he is incapable of watching his nieces or nephews alone even for a couple of hours, let alone parenting them.

He needs to grieve the loss. That is where he is in his life right now. He is processing what life can be without it being defined by marriage and family. He is making progress toward accepting himself for who he is and the gifts he does have in his life. But, no, it isn't without pain and grief.

And seriously, no, it isn't a matter of getting therapy and being able to achieve what he isn't capable of doing anymore than telling a cripple they should just get up and walk. He IS disabled. He can learn to function as the best "who he is," but he isn't going to ever function on a completely different level.

Now, an LD forum break.

• Like 2

Wow, 8FilltheHeart!. I in no way meant any kind of insult towards you or your son! When I want to say something, I am very straightforward. I do not insinuate. I was not aware of your story. Just a few bits and pieces here and there of what you have posted here in the past and in this thread. I do not visit other boards, other than the LC board, so if you do post more on other boards, I have not seen it. I also take frequent forum breaks. Please do not feel like you need to leave on my account! I am saddened that you would take my words in any other way, other than the way they were intended. And I can assure you, there were no ill intentions.

Edited by Guest

Someone equated the two and I was taken aback.  I don't think of ds' ASD as being a mental illness.  I think of it as a special need.  And at times it could be even a disability - though often I wouldn't even go that far because I think of it most often as a different sort of wiring that makes you see the world differently.  And I realize that someone with ASD could have mental illness as well.  But a mental illness in and of itself?  Am I missing something?  Is this a common thought? 

ASD is not classified as a mental illness so it in no way could be considered a mental illness.

However, there are lots of very stupid people out there that would happily call it a mental illness in order to feel better about themselves.

ASD is not classified as a mental illness so it in no way could be considered a mental illness.

However, there are lots of very stupid people out there that would happily call it a mental illness in order to feel better about themselves.

No. While it is true that I don't personally think iof it as a mental illness and classify it instead as a neurodevelopmental condition, there are reasons explained in this thread why some classify it as mental illness. And they are not stupid for doing so.

• Like 1

I don't know why classifying it as a mental illness would make anyone feel better about themselves, anyway.  Do I feel better about myself because I'm not bipolar or schizophrenic or depressed?  I feel lucky, that's for sure.

I don't think that it's a matter of making yourself feel better.  For me, it's a matter of the classification helping me to look for help and treatment in the right places.  A neurodevelopmental condition is going to make me look for supports that aid in development and in shoring up those issues that are weak and emphasizing those parts that are stronger.  For instance, in the college program for ASD, they did a lot in emphasizing the strengths in being able to see details that others miss while also seeing patterns in data.  Some, like Temple Grandin, have been able to visualize solutions that don't come easily or at all to others with different neurodevelopmental wiring. 

For those aspects where a person (really any person) has trouble with mental health things, then I would look for mental health specific support.  For someone with ASD, this most commonly is with anxiety or emotional regulation. 

I guess for me, I tend to see the neurodevelopmental part as being primary while I see the mental health part as secondary and often shared with people who are NT while the wiring part is not shared at all.  At least that is the way I understand it. 

• Like 2

This post reeks of stigma against mental illness..

• Like 1

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why any of the terminology matters. Since each child is an individual, and will have a certain mix of traits and needs, does it matter if they're classified as having a mental illness, a disorder, a disability, or a potato? We use meds, supports, and mental health services, all have been valuable in their own way, and I never separated in my mind whether one was covering a "mental illness" and another was covering a neuro-difference, they're each just helping with various issues we've seen. Even the label is really most helpful in the first months/years after diagnosis to help people get their head around the general issues a child may face, and as a starting point for determining treatment that can be beneficial. I give my DD the help/services she needs based on the specific behaviors she has, some of which are purely ADHD, some of which may seem more spectrum-like. And besides the fact that some services are only available to those with certain diagnoses, I don't think it matters much either way. I spent much more time than I should have trying to parse the issues, and learning nothing. I just work through the symptoms she has, don't treat issues she doesn't have, and adjust helps as she develops and needs and responsibilities change. 

Going back to the neurodiversity issue, for us I think the most beneficial use of this mindset is in explaining to our daughter that even though her mind works differently, there's nothing "wrong" with her, she's no less valuable to the world than someone neurotypical. Difference rather than brokenness. Many aspects of life will be more challenging for her, but not because she's broken. It's an incredibly valuable concept for children, I think--Really for everyone non-neurotypical--and for those who are NT, it's also a perfect starting place in understanding those who are not. 

• Like 1

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why any of the terminology matters. Since each child is an individual, and will have a certain mix of traits and needs, does it matter if they're classified as having a mental illness, a disorder, a disability, or a potato? We use meds, supports, and mental health services, all have been valuable in their own way, and I never separated in my mind whether one was covering a "mental illness" and another was covering a neuro-difference, they're each just helping with various issues we've seen. Even the label is really most helpful in the first months/years after diagnosis to help people get their head around the general issues a child may face, and as a starting point for determining treatment that can be beneficial. I give my DD the help/services she needs based on the specific behaviors she has, some of which are purely ADHD, some of which may seem more spectrum-like. And besides the fact that some services are only available to those with certain diagnoses, I don't think it matters much either way. I spent much more time than I should have trying to parse the issues, and learning nothing. I just work through the symptoms she has, don't treat issues she doesn't have, and adjust helps as she develops and needs and responsibilities change. 

Going back to the neurodiversity issue, for us I think the most beneficial use of this mindset is in explaining to our daughter that even though her mind works differently, there's nothing "wrong" with her, she's no less valuable to the world than someone neurotypical. Difference rather than brokenness. Many aspects of life will be more challenging for her, but not because she's broken. It's an incredibly valuable concept for children, I think--Really for everyone non-neurotypical--and for those who are NT, it's also a perfect starting place in understanding those who are not. 

It's not like I sit around thinking about this outside of the context of this thread.  I agree with you in approaching the issues as they come up and treating each child as an individual.  The only reason I started the thread was because a comment gave me a moment of cognitive dissonance and I thought, "Wait. . . what?"  But it has been interesting to read this thread and everyone's take on it. 

It's not like I sit around thinking about this outside of the context of this thread.  I agree with you in approaching the issues as they come up and treating each child as an individual.  The only reason I started the thread was because a comment gave me a moment of cognitive dissonance and I thought, "Wait. . . what?"  But it has been interesting to read this thread and everyone's take on it. 

Oh I understand, I wasn't trying to question the legitimacy of your original post, I was more questioning whether there was a real purpose in the following posts trying to come up with a precise determination of what is and is not a mental illness. I'd feel the same cognitive dissonance, because I've never thought of my DD as mentally ill, in the typical connotation. But I guess when it comes down to it her behavioral/emotional issues, even though they're comparatively mild, could pretty easily be perceived as a mental illness.

Oh I understand, I wasn't trying to question the legitimacy of your original post, I was more questioning whether there was a real purpose in the following posts trying to come up with a precise determination of what is and is not a mental illness. I'd feel the same cognitive dissonance, because I've never thought of my DD as mentally ill, in the typical connotation. But I guess when it comes down to it her behavioral/emotional issues, even though they're comparatively mild, could pretty easily be perceived as a mental illness.

I think one thing that has come up in the last couple of years has been a couple of high profile shootings perpetrated by people with ASD. I think that these individuals had true mental illness in addition to the ASD. At least I don't think that there is anything inherent in ASD to lead to such actions? I have come across people in the general public though who conflate the two. I'm sort of rambling here and not trying to make an argument or anything.

personally I think we could/should discard the term mental illness--too many misconceptions and too much stigma attached to it.

Neurological disorder seems good enough to cover a wide variety of conditions that impact brain functioning.

• Like 2

I think one thing that has come up in the last couple of years has been a couple of high profile shootings perpetrated by people with ASD. I think that these individuals had true mental illness in addition to the ASD. At least I don't think that there is anything inherent in ASD to lead to such actions? I have come across people in the general public though who conflate the two. I'm sort of rambling here and not trying to make an argument or anything.

As the parent of a young adult with mental illness, I feel obliged to point out that there is nothing inherent in mental illness that leads to murder either.

• Like 4

personally I think we could/should discard the term mental illness--too many misconceptions and too much stigma attached to it.

Neurological disorder seems good enough to cover a wide variety of conditions that impact brain functioning.

I would agree, except, give it a few years and "neurological disorder" will develop the same kind of stigma. Sadly, it is what it is! People develop preconceived notions about things they don't understand and don't want to take the time to understand. It is why acceptance is key in my books, whether that be for autism or mental illness or whatever (don't want to offend anyone). Words are just words unless we use them with the intention to hurt!

Edited by Guest

I think there's been so much effort to help people understand ASD that it no longer has the connotation some of you think. I mean, there's a Sesame Street character! A number of likable characters on various TV series, schools (our school, at least) have an autism awareness week where they discuss what it means, and the idea of embracing differences...Maybe in a more isolated population they might associate autism with a handful of notable cases, but I think the majority don't think of it in a negative way.

(I think they view ADHD much more negatively, though--to the outside world ADHD kids are just loud, hyperactive, undisciplined spoiled brats who should be able to control themselves, whereas no one would blame an ASD individual, or the parents of an ASD kid, for his differences.)

• Like 1

I think there's been so much effort to help people understand ASD that it no longer has the connotation some of you think. I mean, there's a Sesame Street character! A number of likable characters on various TV series, schools (our school, at least) have an autism awareness week where they discuss what it means, and the idea of embracing differences...Maybe in a more isolated population they might associate autism with a handful of notable cases, but I think the majority don't think of it in a negative way.

(I think they view ADHD much more negatively, though--to the outside world ADHD kids are just loud, hyperactive, undisciplined spoiled brats who should be able to control themselves, whereas no one would blame an ASD individual, or the parents of an ASD kid, for his differences.)

My ASD kiddos don't behave nearly as....neatly....as those likable characters or awareness campaigns would have you believe.  Many people don't even realize they have autism, because at any given moment they might appear perfectly normal, or possessed by the devil, neither of which fits into the stereotypical autism mentality.

I agree that people are beginning to understand and accept a very mild, sanitized, surface-level presentation of autism: quirky, poor social skills, doesn't make eye contact, often techy.  When the rubber meets the road, however, most parents I run into don't want their kids anywhere near autistic kids, often with comorbidities, who are volatile, frustrating, impulsive, compulsive, destructive, argumentative, inflexible, hard to communicate with, etc.

I also agree that not many people consciously "blame" an ASD individual or their parent, but that doesn't change the fact that they react negatively to an 8 year old who is pacing, perseverating and repeatedly hitting himself in the head.  They certainly accept that the child is suffering from more than bad parenting, but most of them honestly just wish that the child would go suffer somewhere else...in private...with other "broken" kids...so as not to disrupt their classes, libraries, grocery stores, etc.

Wendy

• Like 2

Yes, I guess that's true. People are scared of things they don't understand. Not because they directly associate autism with violence, though, it's more that it can be unsettling when you're not around those differences every day. I'm sure that's got to be so hard, I don't know that I've ever really thought about how outside perceptions affect ASD parents.

But I've seen so much acceptance in the past few years...We have a non-verbal ASD man who lives down the street with his parents, who likes walking around the neighborhood, and routinely comes to people's homes. I've never heard anyone say anything even remotely negative, I think most let him in, maybe call his parents if he overstays, he's very much accepted as a neighbor. And I was at a playground a couple of weeks ago where a 9-10 year old boy was pacing back and forth across the sandbox and vocally stimming, and the kid-playing and adult conversation just continued around him. That's the perspective I was coming from. People are more aware and accepting of differences.

Edited by nature girl

If you notice our signatures, some of our kids have both labels. Some have other comorbidities. There is not a single set of expected behaviors. While people may appear accepting, many are still apprehensive about allowing their child, for example, to play with a child that can be unpredictable. Unless it is family or friends that know the child well (and even then sometimes), many will keep their distance. To some the behaviors are just unpleasant or weird and they don't want to deal with unpleasantness or what they view as odd behaviors, even if the child is doing no harm. The cute and likable characters are a good start but acceptance means accepting that when these kids are overwhelmed they will exhibit their own behaviors in order to regain control.

From Temple Grandin:

"Normal people have an incredible lack of empathy. They have good emotional empathy, but they donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have much empathy for the autistic kid who is screaming at the baseball game because he canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t stand the sensory overload. Or the autistic kid having a meltdown in the school cafeteria because thereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s too much stimulation."

Pardon me for interrupting, but I saw the thread title and it resonated with me.

I am in my fifties and believe than many ASD kids were misdisagnosed as mentally ill during my childhood in the 1970s. Perhaps they became mentally ill later on in life due to inappropriate treatment.

I do not have a SN kid so I guess I'm as good of a "random public" as anyone.

I am horrified that anyone would say such a thing about ASD. It is no more a mental illness than Downs or whatever an appropriate medical term would be for a child in a wheelchair or a child with a malformed limb.

That is just plain wrong.

Solidarity, support, and sadness but no condescension or rudeness intended.

ETA: the well meaning but clueless do-gooder who wrote this came to her senses and came back to delete it, but decided that it is more effective to just leave it as it stands and acknowledge her own bias and blindness. She will not be returning to this thread and gives you explicit permission to vent and armchair psychoanalyze and say offensive things about her or whatever might be useful to you in blowing off steam about what a nuisance it is educating ignorant neurotypical people who really don't mean to be jerks but are.

Edited by Guest

Pardon me for interrupting, but I saw the thread title and it resonated with me.

I am in my fifties and believe than many ASD kids were misdisagnosed as mentally ill during my childhood in the 1970s. Perhaps they became mentally ill later on in life due to inappropriate treatment.

I do not have a SN kid so I guess I'm as good of a "random public" as anyone.

I am horrified that anyone would say such a thing about ASD. It is no more a mental illness than Downs or whatever an appropriate medical term would be for a child in a wheelchair or a child with a malformed limb.

That is just plain wrong.

Solidarity, support, and sadness but no condescension or rudeness intended.

IEF,

Speaking gently and without anger: why would the idea of ASD as mental illness "horrify" you?

What is more horrifying about mental illness than about a neurological condition? Both are physically based conditions which may have behavioral and emotional consequences. Why such a strong reaction to the possibility of misidentification?

I'm glad you've joined the discussion; please don't feel like I'm being critical, but I was hoping you could explain this a bit more.

• Like 3

IEF,

Speaking gently and without anger: why would the idea of ASD as mental illness "horrify" you?

What is more horrifying about mental illness than about a neurological condition? Both are physically based conditions which may have behavioral and emotional consequences. Why such a strong reaction to the possibility of misidentification?

I'm glad you've joined the discussion; please don't feel like I'm being critical, but I was hoping you could explain this a bit more.

Thank you for saying this.  I wanted to reply, but couldn't figure out how to do so politely.

• Like 2

I think IEF was just trying to be supportive. There is such a lack of information on mental illness that you get various reactions from different people, and the media's portrayal of mental illness doesn't help either. 

Edited by Guest

I am also quite sure that IEF was being supportive. There's clearly only kindness intended in her post.

I'm also guilty of the same tendency; I shrink from identifying mental illness in my dd because I am aware of the extra weight it carries in our society. At the same time I deplore that extra weight: it makes no sense.

I'm afraid I've also been aware of some fairly strong negative associations people have with ASD. My older dd tells me that in the high school people call others "autistic" in the same tone of voice that used to be reserved for "retard".

We've all still got a way to go in understanding differences of the mind. I really appreciate the discussions we can have here.

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 4

Yep.

Unlike Jean, I actually have sat around and pondered this distinction, without having the knowledge to really get to a satisfactory (to me) conclusion. That article is one I found while I was digging on the subject.

I find the whole question interesting.

I am also quite sure that IEF was being supportive. There's clearly only kindness intended in her post.

I'm also guilty of the same tendency; I shrink from identifying mental illness in my dd because I am aware of the extra weight it carries in our society. At the same time I deplore that extra weight: it makes no sense.

:grouphug: That is completely understandable! I think many of us have had the same or similar emotions/ thoughts! We don't have the extra labels, so far, but who knows what the future holds! For me, their functioning and how they relate to the world is my main focus. Balancing what the world thinks, how they view themselves, facing that not everyone is the same, and living life as balanced people confident within themselves.

I'm afraid I've also been aware of some fairly strong negative associations people have with ASD. My older dd tells me that in the high school people call others "autistic" in the same tone of voice that used to be reserved for "retard".

That was exactly what I meant when I said early on that it's how we use words that makes a difference. It is also why I said that, give it a few years and "neurodevelopmental disorder" will have the same or similar stigma attached to it. Information and acceptance taught in the schools is key, I feel, if you want things to change. 

Edited by Guest

Yep.

Unlike Jean, I actually have sat around and pondered this distinction, without having the knowledge to really get to a satisfactory (to me) conclusion. That article is one I found while I was digging on the subject.

I find the whole question interesting.

I think this is because some people are external processors while others are internal. I process things internally as well.

I went away for the day and came back to a lot of posts! 

Some thoughts:  I think that what many people think of initially when thinking of mental illness is untreated mental illness.  Untreated mental illness is quite a different proposition than treated mental illness.  (I understand why a lot of people don't treat it.  I've worked off and on with homeless populations and other populations where the percentage of untreated mental illness is high.  This is just one example of where I've come across people who have talked freely about not treating mental illness.  I'm not making any kind of broad statement about who treats it and who doesn't.) 

Also - I believe it was on the chat board that someone put a poll asking people if they had a family member / or were themselves mentally ill.  I can't remember the percentage but it was over half, I believe.  The consensus was that a lot more people than we think do have experience with some degree of mental illness.  My feeling though is that most people with well treated mental illness are indistinguishable from others in the population.  For one thing, many people experience depression, anxiety etc. who are not labeled mentally ill because it is not at a level of severity where it impacts their daily lives and functionality.  If someone is well treated, then they too have reached a level where the impact on daily life and functionality is at an "acceptable" level. 

I spent the day with a friend.  We both have young adults who have some impact from conditions.  Her son is impacted by diagnosed bipolar.  Mine is ASD.  Both are receiving supports and treatments.  Even well treated though, my son will always approach the world differently.  (Which again is why I personally put it in a different category). 

I think this is a bit of a fragile subject.  If I've worded anything in any way to upset someone, please accept my apologies. 

• Like 4

I spent the day with a friend. We both have young adults who have some impact from conditions. Her son is impacted by diagnosed bipolar. Mine is ASD. Both are receiving supports and treatments. Even well treated though, my son will always approach the world differently. (Which again is why I personally put it in a different category).

I think this is a bit of a fragile subject. If I've worded anything in any way to upset someone, please accept my apologies.

I think it's both fragile and fascinating. I am intensely curious about the physical causes of all these conditions, and hope we come to understand much more during my lifetime.

No offense at all here. I'm so glad you started the thread.

• Like 1

Lots of good points! One thought/ question. Did the person that did the poll also ask how many people share their diagnosis with others, treated or untreated? That could be a whole other topic. If some are functioning to the point where anxiety is not obvious or affecting their lives enough to warrant a diagnosis, then it cannot count as clinical anxiety. 

http://ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/welcome/features/20081105_anxiety/index.html

In our case, both my boys and I have a level of anxiety, often associated with sensory issues, and neither one of us qualifies for a diagnosis. Like the article I linked states, most people have a certain level of anxiety. 

So, to say that people are exposed to mental illness because they or others around them experience anxiety that is not clinical, would be inaccurate. 

Now, taking those that are receiving treatment. How many actually disclose their condition? Also, family and friends can also view their family members with a condition in a different light than a stranger, regardless of whether someone is treated for it or not. I do not have anyone in my family, immediate or extended, with a diagnosed mental illness (that I know of anyway, I have a huge extended family back home). I just read a lot. Also, when kids name call at school, where does that come from? A child does not start calling another child names out of the blue unless he has been exposed to that type of behavior. And where could they have been exposed to that behavior from? Food for thought...

Edited by Guest

And just to add, I do not mean any offence to anyone. I think we have all said this time and time again. I think most of us are just trying to sort certain things in our own minds. At least I know I am! I will repeat what I have said from the start and what both my husband and I agree on. The labels do not make a difference to us. The lines between certain labels get blurrier the deeper I look into it. It's the way my boys are treated that matters to me!

Edited by Guest

Lots of good points! One thought/ question. Did the person that did the poll also ask how many people share their diagnosis with others, treated or untreated? That could be a whole other topic. If some are functioning to the point where anxiety is not obvious or affecting their lives enough to warrant a diagnosis, then it cannot count as clinical anxiety.

http://ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/welcome/features/20081105_anxiety/index.html

In our case, both my boys and I have a level of anxiety, often associated with sensory issues, and neither one of us qualifies for a diagnosis. Like the article I linked states, most people have a certain level of anxiety.

So, to say that people are exposed to mental illness because they or others around them experience anxiety that is not clinical, would be inaccurate.

Now, taking those that are receiving treatment. How many actually disclose their condition? Also, family and friends can also view their family members with a condition in a different light than a stranger, regardless of whether someone is treated for it or not. I do not have anyone in my family, immediate or extended, with a diagnosed mental illness (that I know of anyway, I have a huge extended family back home). I just read a lot. Also, when kids name call at school, where does that come from? A child does not start calling another child names out of the blue unless he has been exposed to that type of behavior. And where could they have been exposed to that behavior from? Food for thought...

The poll on the chat board was started by someone wanting to encourage another boardie whose husband was having a mental health crisis. I don't remember people being asked if they or their loved ones shared the diagnosis with others. That's a good question. I believe that the poll was only counting people with clinically diagnosed conditions. But of course it's hard to know how people actually responded. But the overall message was that "it's more common than you think and it's nothing to be ashamed of."

The poll on the chat board was started by someone wanting to encourage another boardie whose husband was having a mental health crisis. I don't remember people being asked if they or their loved ones shared the diagnosis with others. That's a good question. I believe that the poll was only counting people with clinically diagnosed conditions. But of course it's hard to know how people actually responded. But the overall message was that "it's more common than you think and it's nothing to be ashamed of."

That's a good message but sadly, people don't react the same way in real life than they do on an anonymous forum. 

That's a good message but sadly, people don't react the same way in real life than they do on an anonymous forum.

True. But this particular poll and thread wasn't about the "outside world ".

On another note: this is purely anecdotal but I have been surprised at how open people have been with me in real life when I am open with them on this subject. Adults, I mean. I don't know about children and teens.

Those stories are awful. But they are also wonderful. In both instances once the details were known a lot of people in the community came forward to support them. Of course it's horrible that it had to be after receiving such hateful letters. I don't think that we should forget the supportive loving people out there even as we acknowledge the rude clueless ones.

• Like 1