Menu

Renaissance History for 7th grader who doesn't like to read very much. . .

The History of the Renaissance World

Has anyone used this book specifically and what has been your thoughts on it?  I am thinking of using it with my 7th grader who doesn't like to read too much.  

I had looked into Biblioplan and MOH, but they both seemed to be so complicated and involved. . .  I want a pretty good coverage of the Renaissance time period with some thoughtful questions for discussion and writing (short paper type) but not pulling in a ton of outside reading.  I just don't want it to be a dry reading. . . 

I am thinking of also supplementing whatever text with the Stanford History Education Group lessons sprinkled throughout the year.  

Any other curriculum out there or books that might fit what we are looking for?

Thanks,

Sylvia

I admit that haven't read it, but it's an adult level book that I know some people are using for high school. Therefore, I can't quite imagine using that level of book with a middle schooler who isn't motivated in history and doesn't like to read much.

You could do just fine with volume 2 of K12 Human Odyssey. There is a student guide that accompanies it, and you can find all of the materials used in great  condition easily. 

We used it as only one part of our history studies for that period, but I have a voracious reader and history lover. It's more than adequate on its own, and the writing is pretty engaging.

• Like 1

That book would be way too much for a 7th grader that doesn't like to read very much. And the content may not be appropriate. We are using the series for high school with a kid that loves to read, and we still didn't make it through the first of the series in one school year. I haven't read that one yet, as we aren't there yet. But i can't see even considering it for my middle schooler. 

I would look at WTM and do the logic stage recomendations. It actually works well for my middle schooler that isn't a strong reader. 

Is that the Susan wise bauer one? I listened to the audiobook and it was pretty meaty. I wouldn't give it to my 7th grader.

I also like the Oxford University Press ones, the Age of Voyages one covers some of that time, and has a workbook.

yes, I think you would probably want to do a couple of the oup books. Like age of voyages, age of empires and age of science and revolutions.

Thank you for the recommendation.  I just took a look at the age of science and revolution, 1600-1800 and the writing seemed engaging.  I will try to find a used copy if I can.

It's hard to get a sense of this book, because it is harder to find. Here are a few links that might help with that:

The Book of the Ancient Romans (This book is part of the series and is free at Archive. This would give you a sense of the author's writing style and approach to the book series.)

Renaissance and Reformation Times (The actual book can be borrowed from Archive. It's also possible that a library near you might have it too.)

Renaissance and Reformation Times (This is the table of contents.)

Edited by Kfamily

It's hard to get a sense of this book, because it is harder to find. Here are a few links that might help with that:

The Book of the Ancient Romans (This book is part of the series and is free at Archive. This would give you a sense of the author's writing style and approach to the book series.)

Renaissance and Reformation Times (The actual book can be borrowed from Archive. It's also possible that a library near you might have it too.)

Renaissance and Reformation Times (This is the table of contents.)

Do you think the Renaissance and Reformation times would be okay level for a 7th grader?  Cathy Duffy reviewed it and seemed to think it was more appropriate for high school.  

The writing style seemed pretty approachable when I viewed the Book of the Ancient Romans . . . 

My older daughter used in 8th grade and liked it. I think if you keep the focus on just this book with only a minimum of supplemental readings (including primary source additions), then it should be just fine, especially since you are devoting the whole year to just this time period.

My older daughter used in 8th grade and liked it. I think if you keep the focus on just this book with only a minimum of supplemental readings (including primary source additions), then it should be just fine, especially since you are devoting the whole year to just this time period.

I ordered a used copy on eBay and will take a look and see.  Even if it is too much, I can always use portions of it!

Thanks!

Do you think the Renaissance and Reformation times would be okay level for a 7th grader? Cathy Duffy reviewed it and seemed to think it was more appropriate for high school.

The writing style seemed pretty approachable when I viewed the Book of the Ancient Romans . . .

We used this book in sixth grade for the history spine as part of second semester and next time will use it for a seventh grader (because that is when we will be studying that time for the next student).

I am sure a high schooler would get more out of it (that is probably true for most books) but it isn't high school reading level IMO. I have to take Cathy Duffy with a grain of salt, because she reviews a lot of things as advanced that IMO aren't.

Edit: Memoria Press and Highlands Latin use one or more of the Mills books in middle school.

Edited by Penelope