Menu

What have you done for your accelerated math learner?

Moms of accelerated learners: I need to change up some things for my almost 11 year old son this year. I don't think he is being challenged enough and is getting bored, especially with math.  I've kept him on grade level in math knowing he was gifted in this area because I wasn't sure how to accelerate.  His tester also mentioned that he needed to be challenged when he was recently tested (testing is required in our state). He scores very high (99 percentile) in math, not only in calculations, but in applied mathematics. So, I'm curious and need some help thinking outside the box. He is finishing Singapore 5B. I have Singapore 6A & 6B, but am considering just switching to AOPS pre algebra. Also, I've thought about researching math circles/clubs. What have you done for your accelerated learner in math?

I recommend you look at Beast Academy and / or MEP and / or Singapore Challenging Word Problems. Even though he is studying Singapore 5, he may still find topics in Beast 3, 4, or 5 interesting and challenging. My DD was bored, bored with SIngapore. Beast is one of her favorite subjects (though the double star problems can reduce us both to tears!)

I've only just started looking at MEP, but I've been surprised at how it requires the students to engage in much more complex problem solving than the Singapore Workbooks. We've used all or parts of Singapore 1-4 with challenging word problems/ My DS was also bored with Singapore, but the MEP problems he seems to be much more engaged with and interested in.

Challenging Word Problems (Singapore) is another suggestion, though at this point we love Beast so much we've pretty much dropped CWP. Best wishes!

• Like 2

Take a read at Quark's thread http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/320275-designing-a-non-traditional-math-course-for-a-math-loving-structure-hating-child/

My DS12 did SM6A & 6B Standard Editon over summer before starting AoPS prealgebra book in fall. It was beneficial for him. He finished the AoPS online calculus class in April this year and just finished a two week summer math camp.

• Like 2

For grades 2-4, my kid was in ps, did afterschool math circles, and we used a bunch of supplements, some of which were welcomed at school. Zaccaro's Challenge Math books are probably worth a look. They present various topics, and then problems at 4 levels, increasing in difficulty. We also got the BA books that were available at the time, and they were a big hit. 

In mid year of grade 4 we switched to homeschooling (partly over math), and used AOPS Pre-A for the remainder of the year and finished that in grade 5. It was a really good choice for our situation. We stopped doing math circle (for other reasons), but by switching to a full time challenging curriculum, it did not feel as important to do outside programs.

For grade 6-7, I have driven 40 minutes each way to get my child to a public charter school with an advanced & accelerated math program. My kid has never been the least bit interested in competition math, so most middle school "extras" like the on-site after school math club have been rejected. Two thirds of the students in my kid's math class go to the Russian School of Mathematics as well, but my kid does not want to do that either.

We will keep that up for one more year, and are in the process of finding a good fit for high school, ideally strong in math/arts/languages, or willing to be flexible with DE or online math courses from AOPS.

• Like 1

Both my kids finished Singapore Math 5A+B before going directly to AoPS PreAlgebra, and the transition was fine.  

Since your ds is in middle school, consider forming or joining a MathCounts team.  It's a lot of fun for students of math and teaches terrific problem solving skills.  Also consider signing up for the AMC 8 and start taking old tests for practice.    

• Like 3

My son finished SP 5A and B and went straight to Aops PreA. He loved it.  It takes a lot of patience initially thought to get used to it.  

We did AMC 8 this past year alone -no math club.  I found a proctor.  But you have to pay registration and buy the bundle of tests so its more cost effective if you have more people. 

• Like 1

My son just wrapped up SM 5A & 5B, but we are finishing up the Beast Academy series which we have been using a level behind SM. I just purchased Hard Math for Elementary, Michael Serra's math books and am using Zaccaro Upper Elementary Challenge. We have been working through Borenson's Hands on Equations as well. He is likely to join the MOEMS team at our local elementary school this year. I decided once we finish up with Beast, we are doing Jousting Armadillos which is also discovery method for pre-A before going into AOPS pre-A. That's the plan right now, but with him, things can change on a dime.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1

My youngest went right from 5B to AoPS Pre-A and it went great. Expect to take up to 2 years to work though that big PreA book. (It's fine if he plows right through in a year, but do NOT think you're doing something wrong if it takes longer. It's just a big book!)

Another nice option is to add some other stuff. . .

At this moment in his studies, I'd highly recommend Patty Paper Geometry. It's awesome. Super fun and very educational. Very basic materials needed and easy to figure out. You can do it one day a week or you can do it full time for a few months. Super great introduction to geometry. You can do it any time between now and whenever he is going to take a full geometry course. 

• Like 1

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who shared info on this topic. You guys are great! I'm so happy to discover Beast Academy! I can't believe its been awhile since I've visited the forum. Being back here is invigorating:) My son is 8 years old this February and we're on Singapore Math 4A, which includes Intensive and Challenging books. Even with that, I think, he needs more practice/challenge so I'm adding 3A Beast Academy to the curriculum. We're excited!