Menu

Anyone else not need much this year?

Because I don't, and it's making me uneasy! I must be doing something wrong if there aren't boxes coming to my house on a daily basis in July. :lol:

I really only need handwriting books and art supplies for my youngers, maybe SM for my DD because she wants that instead of MM, but I haven't decided. Everything else is already sitting on my shelves! (Or on my hard drive)

DS 10 just needs a pile of books, most of which I can get from thrift books.  He's doing BYL grade 8 in the mornings and music and art in the afternoon.  (I may buy an MCT level for second semester, but this is still way less than I usually spend.)

It's just.....weird! :laugh:

We are signed up for some subscription things, so I'm not spending nothing, but there's no large chunk of change coming out of the budget this summer.

(I hope I didn't just jinx myself!)

• Like 2

I don't need a thing.

I am buying The Good and The Beautiful LA and Handwriting for my younger two. I'll need a Saxon 8/7 worksheet and test book at some point this fall, so I guess I lied-I do need one thing.

I bought a color laser printer for TGTB, but I've wanted to upgrade for awhile and that was a good excuse.

• Like 1

Us too. I just finished binding our computer programming curriculum and handwriting curriculum and we are done. I am not sure how I feel about that since I love new boxes of curriculum showing up :)

Yesterday I received one package from Exodus books with my dirt cheap used copies of Writing Tales teacher manuals I and II (which I won't need this year just didn't want to pass up 8 dollar curriculum manuals!) Getting that package made me excited since I know that is all I hsve to look forward to coming haha!

I do very much want the Homeschool In the Woods timeline CD so I might splurge at some point but otherwise, we are set!

• Like 1

I feel like I should need more, given the number of students I have! I needed things for my oldest two, because they're very different learners, but I only needed a couple of things for my first and third graders. But yeah, I've had years like that, where I didn't need much, or anything new and exciting.

• Like 1

Same here, for about the last three years or so.

As my oldest kids progressed, I constantly bought new curriculum, K-12.

The kids underneath just get the hand-me-downs. Very little is needed at this point.

I'm right there with you. I don't need anything new at this point. We spend most of the non-winter months on our sailboat now that the girls are out of the house, so we tend to stick with stuff we can use on the Kindle, tablets and laptops. Space for physical materials is at a premium, so I have to be very selective.

Not only do I not want to buy anything new, I'm trying to get rid of what we've accumulated over the years!

• Like 2

I only need to order math for my oldest, plus he needs to pick up some books for his college classes. It does seem very weird!

I have one going to public school for 8th & two littles, none of whom need anything (I used to teach preschool so we have an over abundance).

Oh, I know, dd going to school still needs a lunch cooler bag & a binder, lol... Not too exciting.

• Like 1

That was me last year. I hardly needed anything. This year, I have some reading books coming from thriftbooks, abebooks, & such all summer long. (I have a list of books the local library has (very small) and sent out a note to my friends to borrow the rest. I cut down the list of what I couldn't get from those two sources & order a few at a time.)

I'm planning a bunch of new classes this year because I'm faced with a rising freshman who is completely different than her older sister and two boys who are completely different than their three older sisters. Enjoy those leaner years!!

• Like 1

My youngest is going to school so just the list of school supplies for her. My #2 is doing dual enrollment with his books paid for, and my #3 has his very small list of books provided by the charter school homeschool hybrid he attends one day a week. The rest that I need, I already own. It is weird! I have no back to school packages arriving at my home. I have no decisions to make. I fee very much like this homeschooling train is coming to an end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

We don't. I don't even know what I'm going to be buying for the year. Maybe nothing much. I spread Algebra 1 out between two years for both interspersed with other stuff, so no need for new math even. I know we'll buy books and things as the year begins, but I'm not sure what and I know it won't be anything major.

• Like 1

We blew a ton of money on outsourcing, but as far as textbooks are concerned, I bought them for super cheap used and we dont seem to need as much. I will buy the new grammar program by WTM that's coming out hopefully soon, but that's it for us, I think.

• Like 1

we don't really need anything.

I'm buying one math book ahead, because i'm hoping he will finish the one he's doing now as review and then start the next one. 

I'm buying three workbooks as "practice"/ busywork. there. I said it. 

I'm pretty sure i'm finally going to order Word Roots. It's been on my wishlist for years. 

Today I did my convention shopping. I don't even know what I bought. Lots of fun extras. 

We need school supplies, too. Everything. 

Last year, I spent a total of $40. This year, I'm splurging. 

• Like 1

I'm buying a couple of evan moor books for my twins, not to practice busy work, but for the days I need to pass school to my husband.

I've only purchased math and two read alouds so far.  I have to admit, it's a little hard to get excited about the new year without all the shiny new things. :laugh: I'll have to get creative.

Edited by Runningmom80

i placed my order for books, and for two shiny new planners for myself. i'm excited about that. 

we are starting school today. Everyone is jazzed over the new goodies-which ended up not being all that much once i divided it up between the kids. Everyone got 2ish new items, with W having the most, because first grade=consumables. 

school supplies and art supplies are going to be the most fun. We rarely get a lot of stuff, so we don't have that expectation. 

• Like 1

Define "need".... I have tons of stuff I want. But I could make do with what I have on shelf and from the library for the most part. :) 

I have bought new stuff for the fall, but have been buying here and there since last October, spreading it out. Each year gets less and less though as I really only "need" for the high schooler regularly.  But even that wasn't too much. I bought new Thinking Tree journals last fall when they were on sale and up for us all because we like them while we continued working in the ones we already have. I bought some of their dyslexia games workbooks because I like them. I bought an auditory processing therapy activity book at convention. It was super cheap.  On Amazon used I bought the suggested rhetoric book from WTM 3rd edition. Since there is a newer version, it was less than $10 used.  I actually purchased the latin I need for next year over a year ago. We just didn't get to it yet, so yes I paid for it, but a long time ago.  I stocked up on paperback classics at the last Friends of the Library sale for 50 cents apiece. My guess is that dd14 won't need anything not on shelf for literature. I may pick up a used CliffNotes here or there on Amazon. DD12 will use the books I purchased years ago from CHOLL from her sister and most all of her textbooks are hand me downs from sis or are ones we are just continuing from last year. 

Today I got a SOTW 2 AG in mail. Don't need this at all. It is too young for my kids. BUT I am doing medieval history for all ages at co-op, and I destroyed my last one in the last rotation. I plan on using its chapters as subjects for weekly class topics and doing some of the activities at activity tables, like have two per class period that they rotate through. I mean who doesn't want to try their hand at calligraphy or make Roman pillars out of playdough? One activity that is better suited to each age group per week, olders work on calligraphy and youngers work on playdough is somewhat my plan, or they can do both if they want, plus a map and globe station to look at. 

I joined a subscription site too, so some stuff is on there. I am working on printing out stuff from there right now and organizing. So like OP, money is still going out, but not a lot left is coming in to the house.  We are completely out of notebook paper. Will be stocking up at the first good BTS I see! 

Still to come I really only need The History of the Medieval World for my high schooler and whatever science books her co-op teacher ends up choosing. She is in the process of reviewing some and hasn't made a choice yet. 

But of course I have an Amazon cart full of books I could use to supplement just about everything. I will pick up one or two here or there and use the library.   

• Like 1

Define "need".... I have tons of stuff I want. But I could make do with what I have on shelf and from the library for the most part. :) 

I have bought new stuff for the fall, but have been buying here and there since last October, spreading it out. Each year gets less and less though as I really only "need" for the high schooler regularly.  But even that wasn't too much. I bought new Thinking Tree journals last fall when they were on sale and up for us all because we like them while we continued working in the ones we already have. I bought some of their dyslexia games workbooks because I like them. I bought an auditory processing therapy activity book at convention. It was super cheap.  On Amazon used I bought the suggested rhetoric book from WTM 3rd edition. Since there is a newer version, it was less than $10 used.  I actually purchased the latin I need for next year over a year ago. We just didn't get to it yet, so yes I paid for it, but a long time ago.  I stocked up on paperback classics at the last Friends of the Library sale for 50 cents apiece. My guess is that dd14 won't need anything not on shelf for literature. I may pick up a used CliffNotes here or there on Amazon. DD12 will use the books I purchased years ago from CHOLL from her sister and most all of her textbooks are hand me downs from sis or are ones we are just continuing from last year. 

Today I got a SOTW 2 AG in mail. Don't need this at all. It is too young for my kids. BUT I am doing medieval history for all ages at co-op, and I destroyed my last one in the last rotation. I plan on using its chapters as subjects for weekly class topics and doing some of the activities at activity tables, like have two per class period that they rotate through. I mean who doesn't want to try their hand at calligraphy or make Roman pillars out of playdough? One activity that is better suited to each age group per week, olders work on calligraphy and youngers work on playdough is somewhat my plan, or they can do both if they want, plus a map and globe station to look at. 

I joined a subscription site too, so some stuff is on there. I am working on printing out stuff from there right now and organizing. So like OP, money is still going out, but not a lot left is coming in to the house.  We are completely out of notebook paper. Will be stocking up at the first good BTS I see! 

Still to come I really only need The History of the Medieval World for my high schooler and whatever science books her co-op teacher ends up choosing. She is in the process of reviewing some and hasn't made a choice yet. 

But of course I have an Amazon cart full of books I could use to supplement just about everything. I will pick up one or two here or there and use the library.   

Yes, the "need" vs "want is precisely what I'm learning to define. lol

I have a DD who I think may be a stealth dyslexic.  I have had my eye on the Thinking Tree books, maybe I'll look at them again.

• Like 1

It does feel strange not to have a big list of things I need to get. We have a fabulous public library system and we are going to make good use of it this year. I already bought units from http://layers-of-learning.com/ and am looking forward to using them this year. 
It has interesting guides, uses living books,YouTube videos, printables, and has projects for art, science, and geography, the book lists and projects have suggested age recommendations.  I have never personally come across a curriculum that so neatly put together the videos, books lists and projects for each topic. This will save me so much time! Almost every resource is available through my library system, and that makes it very affordable.

• Like 1

I don't have much of a plan. That is a little disorienting. I'm mostly playing it by ear. When my planner arrives, I'll hammer it out a bit, but still leave it mostly open ended.

We're using lots of library stuff, and free download type things. Mostly child lead. Outsourcing science -which usually sucks up a ton of time and effort because I make my own.

I think I will just plan the subjects. We rotate roughly one a month. That leaves lots of room for choosing materials on the fly.

• Like 1

I'm more confused than ever after asking for some help with ds' language arts and being completely misunderstood.

I didn't ask you if he had talent, I asked you if he was normal!

Well, okay. I guess I have a talented possible writer then, because that wasn't even a story, it was just something I showed you to see if he needed to work on spelling or punctuation or grammar most. Okay. You're the expert, not me.

So apparently my kid has talent and talented writers should be left alone to read lots and lots of fiction and they can always catch up if they get behind in spelling, grammar, punctuation etc. when they're only nine years old.

Too bad I can't return one of the very, very few $10 used Language Arts curricula I did buy. I won't ever need it again. I love reading aloud and talking about books with my kid and all that stuff you're apparently supposed to do if your kid has talent. I just didn't want to skip the workbooks and cuddle on the couch without the evaluation because I thought somebody might report me for educational neglect, but okay, what do I know, I'm just the parent and I'm glad the Big Smart Important Person saved me from breaking the author of the next Great American Novel.

Fourth grade is gonna be frickin' AWESOME!!!!!!! He's even doing math drills on his own when I let him interrupt me to ask how old characters in Betsy and Tacy go Downtown are now.

School started YESTERDAY even though I'm not going to tell ds9.

:party:

Edited by Guest

I need to purchase math u see geometry , essentials in literature/writing 10 combo, and acellus for art , music, and world history. That's for my tenth grader.

I also need to purchase bookshark lit 8 for my 8th grader.

My 6th grader needs teaching textbooks still, as well as Grammar for the Well Trained Mind.

My 1st grader is all set.

I have to set up outsourced classes , lessons, and sports starting in September. It is making my head spin.

• Like 1

I need to purchase math u see geometry , essentials in literature/writing 10 combo, and acellus for art , music, and world history. That's for my tenth grader.

I also need to purchase bookshark lit 8 for my 8th grader.

My 6th grader needs teaching textbooks still, as well as Grammar for the Well Trained Mind.

My 1st grader is all set.

I have to set up outsourced classes , lessons, and sports starting in September. It is making my head spin.

Yeah, after I posted this, I added up our BYL 8 books and it did come out to more than I thought it would.  And that's with getting some from the library.

My twins really needed little.  I found SM used and ordered the handwriting books.  I'm spending the rest of their (small) budget on art supplies and nature gear. (A new backpack for me, binoculars, etc.)

I think it's starting to feel real. My kid asked me for some Tacky Glue and I said, "Sure!" instead of, "Well, maybe the next time we get a big check in September or after we go grocery shopping if we have any change left."

Then for some reason I remembered a homeschooling author who was all the rage in 2003 and how much I liked all the articles by him that were on the internet and how much I had wished I could have read his books.

No, you've never heard of him. The book I wanted to read the most isn't even on Kindle so I couldn't even order a free sample. All they had was a used paperback and it was $6.99 which is more than I ever pay for used paperbacks.

So I clicked the buy-it-now button.

Weird. I'm usually freaking out about money at this time of year.

Edited by Guest

Pfft. My planner arrived today. It starts in November. Wth?

I'm trying to map out our year from approximately 1000 sources without a calendar. It's not going well.

I took suggestions from the kids today. They want more curriculum. Lots of it.

Hunter does it with a piece of folded paper if you know who she is. IIRC she posted a video of where she got the idea. I'll PM you the link if I can ever dig it up.

Slightly less radical "wrong side of the tracks" idea that I personally have used for all three kids:

It's just a word processing document with a table inserted. Seriously. That's all your planner really is.