Menu

Tell me about your experience with conscious sedation please :)

This afternoon I have my prelim appt with the oral surgeon. I haven't met him yet and I'm just a wee bit anxious. Tomorrow I have my last 2 wisdom teeth pulled. My last experience having teeth pulled was a nightmare. I had a regular dentist, it took 45 minutes to get one out, I was completely awake, he had to have his assistant pull for a while because it didn't budge, I ended up crying hysterically....not fun. LOL

I need to talk with him about conscious sedation and taking anti anxiety meds. I don't think I can do a general since my insurance won't cover it...

Anyhow, if you've had conscious sedation/twilight for teeth work, can you tell me about your experience (if you remember it giggle4.gif)?

Did you take any anti anxiety medication beforehand (vallium)?

I had conscious sedation for lithotripsy to blow up kidney stones.

The actual procedure was fine. I was kind of fading in & out, like in a dream.

AFTER, though, in the recovery, I was a hysterical mess. Just nuts & on one level I knew I was nuts, but I couldn't stop it. The nurse came in and said 'don't panic, it affects some people this way, you're not going insane & it will go away'. It did go away about 4 h later.

So that's my exp with conscious sedation - a very, very bad come down.

I had all of my wisdom teeth out under locals & yeah, 2 of them were as you describe, with people practically standing on the chair to get enough leverage to the get the sucker out. Bleh.

My oral surgeon used twilight to cut my wisdom teeth out. I thought that this was just a mild general anesthesia. I'm not sure. Anyway, I remember the drip and then I remember waking up walking down a hall. That's it. No big deal. I don't consider twilight conscious sedation because I wasn't conscious.

Paula

Neither one of us took anything before. I don't remember a darn thing from mine -- in fact I was sure I was "completely out" until someone pointed out that they couldn't have done that in that setting... so it was definitely "conscious" sedation, but not all that conscious apparently. ;)

DS had oral surgery with Versed when he was six or seven, and he was sooooo loopy he had no idea what was going on, nor did he care. He was definitely awake, but really really drunk. And when they were done he had no idea they had even started. It was pretty funny, actually. And when he was "sober" again he couldn't remember any of the morning in question.

I had conscious sedation for lithotripsy to blow up kidney stones.

The actual procedure was fine. I was kind of fading in & out, like in a dream.

AFTER, though, in the recovery, I was a hysterical mess. Just nuts & on one level I knew I was nuts, but I couldn't stop it. The nurse came in and said 'don't panic, it affects some people this way, you're not going insane & it will go away'. It did go away about 4 h later.

So that's my exp with conscious sedation - a very, very bad come down.

I had all of my wisdom teeth out under locals & yeah, 2 of them were as you describe, with people practically standing on the chair to get enough leverage to the get the sucker out. Bleh.

Yikes....

My oral surgeon used twilight to cut my wisdom teeth out. I thought that this was just a mild general anesthesia. I'm not sure. Anyway, I remember the drip and then I remember waking up walking down a hall. That's it. No big deal. I don't consider twilight conscious sedation because I wasn't conscious.

Paula

Technically you aren't totally out -

A lot of dental offices use terms such as "sleep dentistry" or "twilight sleep" when talking about IV sedation. This is confusing, because it suggests that IV sedation involves being put to sleep. In reality, you remain conscious during IV sedation. You will also be able to understand and respond to requests from your dentist.

However, you may not remember much about what went on because of two factors: firstly, in most people, IV sedation induces a state of deep relaxation and a feeling of not being bothered by what's going on. Secondly, the drugs used for IV sedation can produce either partial or full memory loss (amnesia) for the period of time when the drug first kicks in until it wears off. As a result, time will appear to pass very quickly and you will not recall much, or perhaps even nothing at all, of what happened. So it may, indeed, appear as if you were "asleep" during the procedure.

http://www.dentalfearcentral.org/iv_sedation.html

Technically you aren't totally out -

http://www.dentalfearcentral.org/iv_sedation.html

Well, then, I would say the experience was great. No pain. I don't remember anything. I was in college at the time and have a pretty good memory of that day. So, I would go for it. I was pretty groggy that whole day and was pretty sick (nausea). I stayed in bed with ice packs on all day. The next morning, it was like nothing ever happened. They did have a pretty easy time getting my teeth out, though.

Paula

I have had "twilight" once before, but not at the dentist's office. I ended up going completely "out" and don't remember a thing.

I know you'll probably still need the meds (LOL ;)) but I find music really relaxing. Have you asked your dentist if you can bring an MP3 player and listen to music during the procedure? It got me through a root canal and crown work.

I had my wisdom teeth pulled out while "under" twilight sleep. I wasnt asleep. I just couldnt open my eyes or talk. I felt them pulling my teeth out, it was horrible.

Luckily the pain didnt last beyond them actually pulling the tooth out. The recovery was easy.