What's with the ads?

Photo

Do Ikea bed frames require Ikea mattresses? Quality of mattresses?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Tap

Tap

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12291 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:27 PM

We are considering buying dd9 a loft bed from Ikea, but I don't know if I can use her existing mattress or if I have to buy one from them.

If you have an Ikea mattress, do you have a recommendation as to which one to buy or avoid. Are they worth the money for a kid or should I just go buy a regular mattress?

#2 Jami

Jami

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1736 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:32 PM

We have 4 IKEA frames--two lofts, a twin, and a queen (all of the Hemnes line I think) and none of our mattresses are IKEA. :001_smile: I don't know how the IKEA mattresses compare. For the kids, we have pretty basic Sealys from Big Lots Furniture.

#3 tess in the burbs

tess in the burbs

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3104 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:54 PM

we had an Ikea frame years ago with a 20 year old mattress on it. slept just fine!

#4 Alice

Alice

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2858 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:07 PM

We do have an Ikea mattress for ds's bed. It is a nice firm foam. I haven't slept on it myself since it's for one of the loft beds :) but he seems to like it and sleeps just fine.

#5 hornblower

hornblower

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3868 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:08 PM

My kids had Robin loft beds with our own posturepedic twin mattresses. I find Ikea mattresses to not be as good quality as I like. When I last looked, none of them had edge guard (stops the edges from collapsing) and I find that makes a huge difference in how much of the bed is usable.

I know some people like their mattresses as apparently they are fairly low VOC, but I just didn't find any of them comfortable.

They are a good deal though - I think the mattresses I like are about 30% more expensive than Ikea's.

#6 sweetfeet

sweetfeet

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:12 PM

My 6 yo has an ikea loft with a regular twin mattress. It fits perfectly.

#7 texascamps

texascamps

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:10 PM

We have a set of IKEA bunk beds with Ikea mattresses. We rearranged beds last week and big brother got a different mattress. He asked me a few days ago if he could have his old (IKEA) mattress back because he was more comfortable.

We paid $99 for that mattress from IKEA and it is one of the most comfortable we have. But our other IKEA mattress has a simple old regular store bought mattress.

#8 Christine

Christine

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:28 AM

We have an Ikea bed frame and it needs an Ikea mattress. . . but we bought ours in Europe, so I'm thinking that's why. (It's probably a standard European size, but I know it's narrower and longer than a standard American twin.)

#9 Tap

Tap

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12291 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:49 AM

Thanks everyone looks like we get to go shopping this weekend!

We have an Ikea bed frame and it needs an Ikea mattress. . . but we bought ours in Europe, so I'm thinking that's why. (It's probably a standard European size, but I know it's narrower and longer than a standard American twin.)

This is probably why I thought that you needed one. I remember someone saying they had to get their new mattress at Ikea because their bed was European sized.

What's with the ads?