Menu

Do Ikea bed frames require Ikea mattresses? Quality of mattresses?

We are considering buying dd9 a loft bed from Ikea, but I don't know if I can use her existing mattress or if I have to buy one from them.

If you have an Ikea mattress, do you have a recommendation as to which one to buy or avoid. Are they worth the money for a kid or should I just go buy a regular mattress?

We have 4 IKEA frames--two lofts, a twin, and a queen (all of the Hemnes line I think) and none of our mattresses are IKEA. :001_smile: I don't know how the IKEA mattresses compare. For the kids, we have pretty basic Sealys from Big Lots Furniture.

My kids had Robin loft beds with our own posturepedic twin mattresses. I find Ikea mattresses to not be as good quality as I like. When I last looked, none of them had edge guard (stops the edges from collapsing) and I find that makes a huge difference in how much of the bed is usable.

I know some people like their mattresses as apparently they are fairly low VOC, but I just didn't find any of them comfortable.

They are a good deal though - I think the mattresses I like are about 30% more expensive than Ikea's.

We have a set of IKEA bunk beds with Ikea mattresses. We rearranged beds last week and big brother got a different mattress. He asked me a few days ago if he could have his old (IKEA) mattress back because he was more comfortable.

We paid $99 for that mattress from IKEA and it is one of the most comfortable we have. But our other IKEA mattress has a simple old regular store bought mattress.

Thanks everyone looks like we get to go shopping this weekend!

We have an Ikea bed frame and it needs an Ikea mattress. . . but we bought ours in Europe, so I'm thinking that's why. (It's probably a standard European size, but I know it's narrower and longer than a standard American twin.)

This is probably why I thought that you needed one. I remember someone saying they had to get their new mattress at Ikea because their bed was European sized.