Menu

2017 AP scores coming out this week

Well, it was a 3. My child said they barely finished one of the essays (the long, I believe), so we'll take it and consider it all good.

Accommodations from the College Board are in place for writing and we are appealing the denied request for the reading accommodations, so I think next year's two AP classes will be better. 

Is there any way to see how the scores were distributed among the students in our specific school?

• Like 5

Thank you for this.  Do you think there is much difference between his own site and PAH?

His site pretty much sums up the differences.

You should email him if any more questions.

Because my son's B&M lost it's AP Physics teacher at the end of the last school year,

I was strongly looking at :

http://www.physics-prep.com/index.php/physics-2-course-information

but now his school will be using UC Scout online (with their teacher) to provide the AP Physics 2 class.

I will let the hive know how the UC Scout class is next spring.

[No way I would ever pay PAH prices - for about half that cost DS could DE at the local CC.]

• Like 1

Well, it was a 3. My child said they barely finished one of the essays (the long, I believe), so we'll take it and consider it all good.

Accommodations from the College Board are in place for writing and we are appealing the denied request for the reading accommodations, so I think next year's two AP classes will be better. 

Is there any way to see how the scores were distributed among the students in our specific school?

You can ask your school for its College Board Summary Report.  This report will give the score break-downs for each exam for your school. 

• Like 2

A San Diego high school violated the seating arrangements rules leading to 547 students having their scores being invalidated. The school used privacy partitions which was against the rules. So be careful when choosing test centers :(

Cheating Student Led to AP Exam Investigation at Scripps Ranch HS: Superintendent

"A cheating student sparked the investigation leading to Advanced Placement test scores being thrown out at Scripps Ranch High School, according to school district officials.

More than 540 students must retake the exam if they want college credit. The scores were invalidated on June 28 by the College Board and its test administrator Educational Testing Services.

The student accused of cheating was apparently leaning back from his desk and reportedly looking at someone else's test, according to Cindy Marten, Superintendent of San Diego Unified School District.

“That student was taken out of the testing situation so there are no scores for that student,†explained Marten.

While only one student is accused of cheating -- the board found issues with certain testing regulations: the size of the tables, the seating chart and privacy partitions separating the students.

According to the College Board, those seating rules are in place to make sure no student gains an unfair advantage.

The principal and an AP coordinator responsible for following the testing rules announced their retirements before the tests, according to Superintendent Cindy Marten.

Marten says they're looking at what type of disciplinary action can be taken against them even though they've retired."

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Cheating-Student-Sparks-Investigation--432823383.html

• Like 3

A San Diego high school violated the seating arrangements rules leading to 547 students having their scores being invalidated. The school used privacy partitions which was against the rules. So be careful when choosing test centers :(

Cheating Student Led to AP Exam Investigation at Scripps Ranch HS: Superintendent

"A cheating student sparked the investigation leading to Advanced Placement test scores being thrown out at Scripps Ranch High School, according to school district officials.

More than 540 students must retake the exam if they want college credit. The scores were invalidated on June 28 by the College Board and its test administrator Educational Testing Services.

The student accused of cheating was apparently leaning back from his desk and reportedly looking at someone else's test, according to Cindy Marten, Superintendent of San Diego Unified School District.

“That student was taken out of the testing situation so there are no scores for that student,” explained Marten.

While only one student is accused of cheating -- the board found issues with certain testing regulations: the size of the tables, the seating chart and privacy partitions separating the students.

According to the College Board, those seating rules are in place to make sure no student gains an unfair advantage.

The principal and an AP coordinator responsible for following the testing rules announced their retirements before the tests, according to Superintendent Cindy Marten.

Marten says they're looking at what type of disciplinary action can be taken against them even though they've retired."

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Cheating-Student-Sparks-Investigation--432823383.html

what a nightmare for the honest students

• Like 6

what a nightmare for the honest students

This really gets my goat.  Instead of punishing the schools (maybe by not allowing them to host AP exams the following year) they punish the students, who are not at fault.

What is worse for the affected students is that not all students in that high school were affected. Also ETS apparently sent a representative to measure the tables which are 6 feet long instead of 8 feet long. My kids use our 6 feet folding plastic picnic table sometimes and it really is easy to peep and cheat.

"About 700 or 800 students took AP tests in May, but only 540 will have to retake them. Many students were in seating arrangements that did not violate the protocol. The average AP student takes five tests." http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/data-watch/sd-me-testing-follow-20170703-story.html

""We were told where to sit, it was not our choice," said incoming senior at Scripps Ranch High School, Marissa Barnes. "Now because of that, we have to suffer."

Barnes added she has a summer job and will not be able to make the retest dates." http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Fast-Facts-You-Should-Know-About-The-AP-Exam-Controversy-at-Scripps-Ranch-High-School-432777243.html

"ETS requested a seating chart and later sent a representative to San Diego to measure the tables." http://www.kpbs.org/news/2017/jun/30/how-two-feet-invalidated-500-ap-tests-scripps-ranc/

• Like 2

Well, in response to an earlier poster, no 5 here. DS16 got a "3" on APUSH, his first AP test.

It is really his fault. He goes to B&M school and had/has the mind set that the teacher should spoon feed him everything, despite the teacher's encouragement to read/think outside of the class. I bought the test prep book and flashcards, they were scarcely used. DS's idea of test prep was skimming the text during the week before the test.

Right now he is discouraged and angry - at whom I'm not sure. He has four - FOUR! - APs next year, because he insisted on keeping up with two friends who are his prime competition for "head of the class." Unless he changes his attitude, I see disaster ahead :(

• Like 3

Sorry, Linders, some of them take a while to see that success takes effort. I think my Ds half believes that his 5 was completely random and not a result of his hard work prepping and his 3 was a result of his "not being so good at physics" instead of lack luster prep on his part in a class he had a solid A(as opposed to an A-in English).

I do see glimmers of this changing though. Maybe our boys will get it at 17? These type of things are good for them, though. And me riding DS about his prep would have been wrong for both of us for many reasons.

Eta: we need to remember , though, and remind them, that a three is s pass on the test even if it doesn't earn credit. And it really is nothing to be ashamed of.

Edited by freesia
  • Like 4

Well, in response to an earlier poster, no 5 here. DS16 got a "3" on APUSH, his first AP test.

It is really his fault. He goes to B&M school and had/has the mind set that the teacher should spoon feed him everything, despite the teacher's encouragement to read/think outside of the class. I bought the test prep book and flashcards, they were scarcely used. DS's idea of test prep was skimming the text during the week before the test.

Right now he is discouraged and angry - at whom I'm not sure. He has four - FOUR! - APs next year, because he insisted on keeping up with two friends who are his prime competition for "head of the class." Unless he changes his attitude, I see disaster ahead :(

not many sophomores (guessing from your byline) take the APUSH - not considered the "warm-up" AP like Human Geography 

He should be angry at himself and try harder next year but I think four APs would be a lot to take in this case.

• Like 3

DS got a 5 on US Government and Politics, Congrats on all the good scores. Also, IMHO I think colleges will still be impressed with scores of 3 or above even if they don't give credit for a score of 3 since it shows the student is at least willing to take on difficult course work and helps validate student learning whether a student homeschools or not.

• Like 9

I do see glimmers of this changing though. Maybe our boys will get it at 17? These type of things are good for them, though. And me riding DS about his prep would have been wrong for both of us for many reasons.

Eta: we need to remember , though, and remind them, that a three is s pass on the test even if it doesn't earn credit. And it really is nothing to be ashamed of.

Agree that me nagging DS into prepping would have been an emotional wringer for both of us, glad I didn't. A 3 isn't bad - I would guess that the fact that his 2 friends got 4s is the salt in the wound.

And I do hope that 17 is magic. I see signs already. He has a boatload of summer prep work for AP Gov, and he has really been tackling it.

• Like 3

Dd got a 4 on AP Chem and a 5 on AP Stats.  I'm proud of her - AP Chem is not for the faint of heart. :)  She's got three APs under her belt and four to take next year.  She's a bright girl and hard-working and I think she can do it.

We took advantage of the location loop-hole and she went over to her piano teacher's house in Minnesota to access her scores on Thursday instead of waiting until tomorrow when we Canadians are supposed to access the scores. :)

• Like 11

Dd got a 4 on AP Music Theory (her first AP test...actually her first outside test ever). I am so proud of her because the class she took was less than helpful. It basically provided a syllabus and graded her work. There were supposed to be weekly lessons (pre-recorded) but the teacher only sent 2 or 3 lessons the entire school year so dd had to self-teach all the material and go to music theory loving friends when really stuck.

Also, she has pretty significant test anxiety (even on tests she takes at home and tends to overthink). 

When she came out of the test, she felt she had done at least well enough to get a 3 even though she was worried she'd score lower...but said there were a couple areas where she felt rushed time-wise (one in particular, I think one of the items where she had to write the chords from listening...she said she had done the first one wrong, went on to the 2nd, but had the first listening memorized so went back and tried to fix her notation but ran out of time) . 

She has decided she doesn't want to do any more AP classes but instead will take classes through the local community college beginning this fall.

• Like 8

Dd got a 4 on AP Chem and a 5 on AP Stats.  I'm proud of her - AP Chem is not for the faint of heart. :)  She's got three APs under her belt and four to take next year.  She's a bright girl and hard-working and I think she can do it.

We took advantage of the location loop-hole and she went over to her piano teacher's house in Minnesota to access her scores on Thursday instead of waiting until tomorrow when we Canadians are supposed to access the scores. :)

Congratulations to your dd!  But for some reason I'm equally impressed that she crosses an international border for each piano lesson.  Is she on a first name basis with the border guards?  (Or are there border guards?  I don't even know.)

Edited by daijobu
  • Like 3

Congratulations to your dd!  But for some reason I'm equally impressed that she crosses an international border for each piano lesson.  Is she on a first name basis with the border guards?  (Or are there border guards?  I don't even know.)

Living in a border town, we all cross the Canada/US border at least weekly and sometimes more often.  The only movie theatre is in the US town and US gas is MUCH cheaper.  We cross to go out to supper, get groceries, go to the US library (the two town libraries have a reciprocal borrowing policy) - all kinds of reasons.  The piano teacher who is best able to teach a student at dd's level happens to live in the Minnesota town.  Having grown up here and then having moved back after university, I've probably crossed the Canada/US border thousands of times.  I think we sometimes forget that it's an international border - it's just something we do. :)

Yes - there are border guards on both sides (US and Canada) and everyone has to stop and be questioned.  It just takes a minute or two.  Many of them do get to recognize us but they are all careful to always treat everyone professionally and equally. :)

• Like 7

I thought I would post my dd AP scores because they are less than stellar and maybe someone needs encouragement! Dd took AP Chem with PAH and received a 2 (her practice tests out her in a solid 3 range). Dd also took APUSH through PAH and received a 3 (practice tests out her in a high 4 range). My ds took 10 AP course in high school and received 1 three, 7 fours, and 2 fives. I know dd is just not as great of a test taker as ds. She worked very hard in her classes and really enjoyed them. I am disappointed she will not receive credit for chemistry, but she did learn a lot and ended the course with a B+ (and almost an A-). The class average was a low C (I believe). Honestly, sometimes it is hard to not compare ds and dd (ds was a National Merit Finalist and tested extremely well). Ds has always struggled with memorization and takes an increased amount of time when testing. She did take the ACT in June with no prep and scored a 28 (which was very good, IMO). This coming year she is taking AP Eng Language with Maya Inspektor. We are also thinking of self studying for AP psych. Even if she does not receive passing scores, I think the classes are wonderful prep for college. And I should add that I do not think her scores are any reflection on PAH. Both Mr. M and Mrs. Richman are wonderful teachers!!!

• Like 18

My kids are once and done for AP Computer Science A and AP Calculus BC :) one 4 and two 5s

ETA:

Computer Science A was through Edhesive (4,5)

Calculus BC was self study after AoPS online calculus class (5)

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 12

Ds2 got 4's in both psychology and computer science a (through edhesive).  He studied psychology with a friend, so basically self-study, but the main problem was that mock trial nationals are always during the 2 weeks of AP exams, and his team has competed in them for the past 2 years.  I really wanted him to take the make-up psych exam, but he really didn't care because it was kind of a throw away class--more just interesting than going to be used for college credit--and he wanted to be done.  

He was very pleased with edhesive.  I think it was his favorite on-line class in his high school career.  He didn't do as much dedicated practice for the AP exam, again because of prepping for mock trial, but he felt like he learned a lot, and it was a really good experience.

• Like 8

He was very pleased with edhesive.  I think it was his favorite on-line class in his high school career.  He didn't do as much dedicated practice for the AP exam, again because of prepping for mock trial, but he felt like he learned a lot, and it was a really good experience.

DS got a 4 on Comp Sci from Edhesive too. Also his favorite class so far. Went in with 0 programming experience, except messing around sparingly with Codeacademy, etc.

• Like 7

As was mentioned in a previous thread, 2017 AP score distributions are now up on TotalRegistration.net in case anyone is interested in seeing the distributions for their students' exams.

My oldest looked at the 2017 AP Computer Science A FRQ exam PDF on the Total Registration website last night (after binge watching Masterchef Canada :lol: ) and he told me what he wrote. He said he didn't do a good job on question 3, writing a lengthy code to get the job done instead of spending time to streamline his code. My youngest also told me what he wrote. My oldest found it beneficial to analyze the FRQ grading system from past year papers for both the AP exams he took when prepping. His results on Edhesive wasn't that high actually. We used the Barron's book for extra test prep. I don't know Java and so I could only help them at the pseudocode level.

He was willing to tell me what he wrote for the Calculus BC FRQ exam but it was nearly midnight and I wanted to sleep.

So if your older ones are willing to "regurgitate" what they did for the exams, it might help your younger ones in test prep.

Now the wait for June SAT scores for both kids.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 5

I thought I would post my dd AP scores because they are less than stellar and maybe someone needs encouragement! Dd took AP Chem with PAH and received a 2 (her practice tests out her in a solid 3 range). Dd also took APUSH through PAH and received a 3 (practice tests out her in a high 4 range). My ds took 10 AP course in high school and received 1 three, 7 fours, and 2 fives. I know dd is just not as great of a test taker as ds. She worked very hard in her classes and really enjoyed them. I am disappointed she will not receive credit for chemistry, but she did learn a lot and ended the course with a B+ (and almost an A-). The class average was a low C (I believe). Honestly, sometimes it is hard to not compare ds and dd (ds was a National Merit Finalist and tested extremely well). Ds has always struggled with memorization and takes an increased amount of time when testing. She did take the ACT in June with no prep and scored a 28 (which was very good, IMO). This coming year she is taking AP Eng Language with Maya Inspektor. We are also thinking of self studying for AP psych. Even if she does not receive passing scores, I think the classes are wonderful prep for college. And I should add that I do not think her scores are any reflection on PAH. Both Mr. M and Mrs. Richman are wonderful teachers!!!

we appreciate your candor, mjbucks! you sound like you are handling it fine. i am sorry for the disappointment though, i know how it can be, especially as it feels sometimes we are awash in everyone's success 5 stories all around. :-)

• Like 3

I am sorry for the disappointment though, I know how it can be, especially as it feels sometimes we are awash in everyone's success 5 stories all around. :-)

Your son already qualified for AP Scholar award :)

ETA:

Also one of the G and 1.5 of the A for UC A-G requirements.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2