Menu

Interoception

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to bring this thread back up and discuss Mighteor. I got it and we've done some now. So far what I'm seeing is well done, and I think we're seeing some changes. You've got a lot of layers of what they're doing there, because you've got the heart rate and mindfulness, but you also have distractions, focusing, etc. There really are a lot of layers. I'm talking with them about interoception and alexithymia, and I'm really not sure how far they've really connected those dots theoretically. *I* know the logic is there, and I think I'm seeing definite changes.

The value of what I got makes the access to the software basically free. It was $249 minus the $20 coupon. So for $229 you got a $120 (ish) tablet, an $80 heart rate monitor, the software and everything completely pre-installed and ready to go (brilliant), and significant coaching access. Ok, I haven't actually talked to the coach. For some reason, that person scheduled multiple weeks out. Instead I've been talking with their PhD director of something something, but that will do! 

To me, what I'm seeing is the surprising self-awareness stuff, like him getting out of the pool and saying he is cold and ready to leave. And you're like Whoa, normally you are blue all over and *I* say it's time to go, and now *you* are saying it's time to go and you're saying it before you're overwhelmed? It's weird stuff like that. And more overall stability.

I like it. I like their set-up. I like the value. 

Overall, I think it's a can't go wrong purchase. Where they're going with it is good, and the few bugs that are there they have plans for. They're working dastardly fast as they can to get the whole system ported over to apple, which would be an immense, immense improvement. Hate android passionately. But, you know, I can put up with android to get access to this. Can you imagine the price of needing an ipad mini just to do this? Way more. So for $229, can't beat it. And the parent coaching. 

The games on it are GREAT btw. They're not cheesy, and they have a lot of logic to them in design. They have a fair number now (8? I could check) and their goal is to crank out one a month. They're really thoughtfully done. Ok, maybe someone else will criticize them. I think they're very nice. They don't look like Flappy Bird or something cheesy or hack. They're very well done, with thoughtful details to make them effect therapeutically, and they're stimulating to play.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

Thank you for your review! It sounds great and how awesome to hear about your ds noticing he is cold and being able to tell you! Does your ds like using it? I have been going back and forth over getting it, but think you have swayed me over to getting it.

I really do think ds would like it and would help him with the the whole interoception piece that we are working on. I have to say in that regard, I am noticing some shifts for ds and think he has had a few lightbulb moments just working through activities from the book.

Yes, it's the heart rate activities like in the book, but with games and lots of structured, tidily woven in ways to practice. It really is very well conceived. Honestly, I don't see how you can go wrong. They're essentially giving it to you for free, by the time you consider the cost of the tech.

Like using it? He's not going out of his way to get it, but he does it and will play it quite a while. He tends to play for 30-40 minute chunks, where they suggest 10 minutes a day. 

He was getting frustrated because he couldn't get his heart rate up. I talked with them and they gave us some ideas. Now that he can get it up (to make the games work and help him accomplish the missions), he's having tons of fun again. There's lots of reinforcement built in, with missions you accomplish, ways to earn new games, etc. There's no reason to think the dc won't enjoy playing it. 

• Like 1

One of the things I'm watching on ds is wetting. I've considered his continued wetting an interoception issue, because I really didn't have a better explanation. That's why I'm not coming in saying yes, I'm positive you'll get xyz. They're just saying, as a company, that kids get better self-regulation as they use the tools and become more self-aware. I say it's hitting interoception and should therefore improve his wetting. But I have data, kwim? Like I know how many bed pads we go through in a week and that my ds is almost 9 and wears night pants to bed. So when I'm sure that has completely changed, then I can say yes mighteor did that. For now, I'm just saying I'm seeing little signs, that the logic behind it is good, that the games are well-structured, and that it's good enough that it's worth the comparatively low price for what you're getting.

I assume they'll double the price at some point, because I don't see how they're even turning a profit right now.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

Fwiw, they ship at the end of the month each month. It keeps the parents in pools, starting at the same time, so they can assign them to the coaches, etc. So if you're going to order, you would go ahead and do it so you'd get it beginning of September.

It doesn't have to be done a lot. All they're asking for is 10 minutes how many times a week. Ds did 40-45 minutes the first night and still does longer sessions. And really, to me I was seeing things happen in one session. We're you're doing it in a bulk like that, you see things happen. Or at least I do. But does just ticks so many boxes. Like dude, wanna work on aggression, yeah we've got plenty of aggression to track. Wanna see if it bumps interoception and noticing when he's hungry or tired? Sure, we've got issues with that we can track.

Some of the parents seem to have less issues going on, and they're like wow when will it do something? And I'm going one session baby, one session. But he was just, well sometimes you think you could only go UP.