Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - July 2017

Happy July 1, 2017!

It's a beautiful morning where I am and I'm ready to begin my day.

I am thrilled that we have been able to keep this topic going for multiple months. I love that we have a core group. I am concerned that we've lost almost all of the people who were trying to lose weight and tone up. I want everyone to feel welcome to post here - dieters and exercisers alike. Personally, I need accountability on diet, food choices, and how best to change my body. Between my activities (tennis, kayaking, walking, hiking) I am active but not going in the direction I want to go.

Please feel free to share about your diet plans, your eating choices, your foibles, and bad choices as well.

My goals for the month are to:

1- get in my 80 ounces of water a day

2- continue playing tennis as often as I can

3- go swimming at least once a week

4- reduce the amount of chai I drink

5- reduce the amount of sweets I eat

6- get in two bleacher workouts a week

I finished off the last of my chai yesterday and did not purchase any more when I went to the grocery store. I went to Kohls on Thursday and purchased a swimsuit. I have yet to tey it on but it's here, in the house, waiting for me.

What are your goals and hopes for July?

• Like 6

July

1. journal foods every day

2. walk 3 miles per day (possibly in two 1.5 mile sessions since I am home for the summer

3. Drink water

4. Remember to take my supplements daily

We leave for a LONG road trip in 3 weeks and I know I can't get my water in well on a road trip, nor can I get all my walking in.

• Like 7

today's plan- backpack/hiking- shortish hike, maybe 5-7 miles as we'll have limited time before dark as we've got a funeral today (it will be a loop so whatever we do we'll be doing on the way out tomorrow)

my b-day was a couple of days ago and although I'd hoped my weight would be X by then it is still where it was, I go down a couple of pounds and back up. On the plus side I'm maintaining very well, on the negative I'm not maintaining where I'd like to be. I've got labs scheduled this week so we'll see if anything is out of whack there. I was consistently losing and then bam, nothing for months now.

swimming- we had planned to do a pool membership but that is really out of the budget right now. We'd also planned to do lessons at the end of the month but the price of lessons is the same price as family membership, so we'll have to think about that. I would really like all of us to get a chance to swim more but there are not a lot of great free options.

Yoga- I need to do better with my own private practice- I'm feeling tight.  So far I'm scheduled to teach (yoga):

1st week-1 class;  2nd week- 2 classes;  3rd week- 1 class; 4th week- none so far; 3hr a day camp starting July 30

group classes- I've dropped because  we're cutting back but I've been thinking I might invite some friends to work out with me at the park once a week, that would give us group motivation and camaraderie(and it takes care of childcare as the kids can play while we workout), the problem this time of year is the weather is hot, hot, hot. I think I'll see if there are any friends interested. 

We aim to hike/walk daily, varying amounts of course. We're hoping for one big hike for our anniversary, we'll see if we can coordinate the weather and childcare.

Strength training is on the docket 3 days a week. I've not done well the past couple of weeks with swimming as it has really worked my shoulders over, I'm still sore from my lessons Thurs night. 

Food has been pretty good, I aim for lots of veggies and lower carb.

Edited by soror
  • Like 5

I'm dealing with a health problem right now - period from h*** so we are looking more seriously at surgery to finally control things.  I'm on progestin and iron because I'm severely anemic.   I'm hoping that the surgery won't screw up any good habits I manage to start.

I started kick-boxing at my kids dojo last week.  It's right before my kids class, so I'm already heading there three days a week.  I know the instructors so there's a comfort level there, and they are very encouraging and supportive of anyone who needs to modify moves.  My oldest is doing it with me and it's rare that we can find something that is a good workout for her, but still possible for me.  We are signed up for 12 weeks.  

I was planning to go kayaking while youngest dd has swim team practice (every...single...day), but my medication causes sun sensitivity and I burned after 15 minutes WITH sunscreen on, so I'm having to modify that a little bit.   I may only do that when she has her evening (5pm) practices and stay in the shade during her afternoon practices.  I went kayaking the two days I didn't do kickboxing last week.

I'm also hoping to start Tai Chi and Yoga at home again on the days I don't do the kickboxing.

We are eating pretty well since dh is on a health kick and does all the cooking.  Mainly lowish carb, avoiding sugar and processed foods.  Easy to do since I'm finding that many of my headaches are caused by processed foods.

I find it kind of...ironic?.... that now that I have an actual, legitimate, medical excuse to not be active I'm doing better than I have in a long time.   :lol:

• Like 6

group classes- I've dropped because  we're cutting back but I've been thinking I might invite some friends to work out with me at the park once a week, that would give us group motivation and camaraderie(and it takes care of childcare as the kids can play while we workout), the problem this time of year is the weather is hot, hot, hot. I think I'll see if there are any friends interested. 

I love the idea of inviting friends to a park to workout! Ingenious! I hope some of them take you up on it. 

I've been intrigued lately by the possibility of evaluating any environment I am in for the potential exercises I could do. A park has so many possibilities for strength training moves on playground equipment or picnic tables as well as walking/jogging or group Pilates or yoga.  Nerdfitness has a video of him doing a workout at a playground in a city. Nia Shanks has one where she is doing some kind of strength-training moves at a picnic table in a little pavilion somewhere. 

I started kick-boxing at my kids dojo last week.  It's right before my kids class, so I'm already heading there three days a week.  I know the instructors so there's a comfort level there, and they are very encouraging and supportive of anyone who needs to modify moves.  My oldest is doing it with me and it's rare that we can find something that is a good workout for her, but still possible for me.  We are signed up for 12 weeks.  

I was planning to go kayaking while youngest dd has swim team practice (every...single...day), but my medication causes sun sensitivity and I burned after 15 minutes WITH sunscreen on, so I'm having to modify that a little bit.   I may only do that when she has her evening (5pm) practices and stay in the shade during her afternoon practices.  I went kayaking the two days I didn't do kickboxing last week.

I'm also hoping to start Tai Chi and Yoga at home again on the days I don't do the kickboxing.

How wonderful that you have the opportunity to block schedule your exercise with your kids. I think it's so helpful when exercise (or any other thing we want to get done) can be linked to something else in the schedule. Makes it highly unlikely that you will skip. 

WRT sunburn: there are some very lightweight fabrics with SPF that you could try. Swimsuit "rash guards" (no CLUE why they are called rash guards) might be a place to try. Also Columbia brand carries some long sleeved shirts like that. I have a white one.  I would guess that you could find a kind of workout glove that would protect your hands as well. Hat and sunglasses and you might be good to go. 

Do you use a certain Tai Chi program at home? I tried a class at the fitness center and decided it wasn't going to be worth the time and extra $ since I could only attend sporadically and then only until September. But I'm considering incorporating it at home. 

• Like 4

I love the idea of inviting friends to a park to workout! Ingenious! I hope some of them take you up on it. 

I've been intrigued lately by the possibility of evaluating any environment I am in for the potential exercises I could do. A park has so many possibilities for strength training moves on playground equipment or picnic tables as well as walking/jogging or group Pilates or yoga.  Nerdfitness has a video of him doing a workout at a playground in a city. Nia Shanks has one where she is doing some kind of strength-training moves at a picnic table in a little pavilion somewhere. 

How wonderful that you have the opportunity to block schedule your exercise with your kids. I think it's so helpful when exercise (or any other thing we want to get done) can be linked to something else in the schedule. Makes it highly unlikely that you will skip. 

WRT sunburn: there are some very lightweight fabrics with SPF that you could try. Swimsuit "rash guards" (no CLUE why they are called rash guards) might be a place to try. Also Columbia brand carries some long sleeved shirts like that. I have a white one.  I would guess that you could find a kind of workout glove that would protect your hands as well. Hat and sunglasses and you might be good to go. 

Do you use a certain Tai Chi program at home? I tried a class at the fitness center and decided it wasn't going to be worth the time and extra $ since I could only attend sporadically and then only until September. But I'm considering incorporating it at home. 

I've thought about buying some clothes for sun protection, but they run about $50 for a shirt or pair of pants.  Since I'm hoping this is a temporary problem, it's a bit expensive.   I did go kayaking one day after kickboxing and just wore my workout pants.  They protected my legs while sitting in the kayak and weren't too hot especially since I can't seem to paddle without dripping on my legs.   :lol:    A baggy t-shirt will cover my arms to the elbow, shoulders, and chest which seem to be my most vulnerable areas (along with legs).  Lots of sunscreen on the rest of my arms/hands. I did buy a new hat.   I do think I'm going to try and keep most of my sun time late in the day though.

These are some of my favorite Tai Chi videos.  I play my own music (usually Pink Floyd) so don't listen to whatever they are saying, I can't stand the chatter.

• Like 5

Goals for July: 

Get to bed at a decent hour. I had been doing better, but all it takes is one late night and my body clock is reset for wee hours. I need to be in bed by 11ish and read or something with the goal of definitely snoozing by midnight because I tend to waken around 6:45 or 7. Goal is a solid 7 hours 

ETA: Besides getting to bed on time, my new target habit is getting up after 45 min of sitting and moving for 15 min. 

Exercise: I'm shooting for 45-60 min of aerobics 5 x/week. Strength training 2-3 x per week. Flexibility 5-7 x per week. Planks 5x week. That should be doable. I've let planks slack off. Flexibility is what's hardest for me because when I am done the big stuff, I want to be DONE. KWIM?  I am trying to reconcile the recommendations fo various studies into my exercise plan, and will meet with an exercise physiologist to help figure that out. But I think I will be working up to incorporating 30 min worth of jogging intervals into my walking/jogging. Right now, it's about half that. I wont' get all the way to 30 min in July because I'm older and my first rule is "First of all do no harm." :)  My intervals are 1 1/2 min so I'd add one per week. So about 21 min out of 45-60 by the end of the month. 

Food: My eating is pretty good. Lots of veges coming out of the garden.

The big challenge will be that I  will be hard pressed during a two week vacation with extended family first week in July and second week in August.

I will probably have to go with a "Just say no to everything " approach and not let myself have what would be a normal amount of non healthy food  for me (which is rare) because 1) I am triggered by sight of certain foods and 2) I cope by not having them in the house and won't be able to control that and 3) Once I start, it would be really hard for me to stop if it's always available. So that will definitely be a challenge. I can allow for a couple trips to the local ice cream place with family if I determine the number ahead  of time. (They can go several times per week.)  That's out of the house, so self-limiting. It will be bags of chips sitting around,  huge dinners centered on red meat every night, etc. that will be hard to evade.  (Yes, I will cook some of the nights, but I can't expect everyone else to eat chicken, fish, or vegetarian most of the week!) 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 6

Hey! I think I can join this thread!

I started Nutrisystem last month. I'm in my 3rd week, down about 7 pounds. I'm actually really enjoying the program. I feel like I'm eating all the time, and sometimes I have to force myself to eat because it's "time" to eat and I'm not hungry!

Anyway, part of the program is 30 minutes of activity each day. You can break it up into 3 ten-minute intervals, but I find it easier to just do one 30 minute workout.

So initially my dh and I were going for walks in the evening. But then the +100° temperatures set in. So I decided to dust off my "Walk Away The Pounds" dvd's and give those a try. I started with the easy 1-mile dvd.... and it kicked my butt. Boy, am I out of shape! But I stuck with it and did it every day for a week. A few days ago I decided to give the 2-mile dvd a try.... and it kicked my butt. (Notice a trend here? LOL) I'm determined to work back up to the 4-mile dvd once again, and to do it with ease. Ten years ago I was doing that dvd with ease every day. 'Course, I was also ten years younger then. Sigh

So I'm sitting here eating my mid-morning snack of salted hard boiled egg and sliced tomatoes... and it's gone. Time to get back to work!

My June goals were not to gain weight!  So, my July goals are:

*aqua class at least 4x a week

*swim laps, build up endurance

*walk in the evening to get in 10,000 steps

*vitamin regimen (still working out details)

*increase water intake        I cut an x out of the top of an arrowhead water jug, bought replacement hose at REI so I have an extra long straw, don't have to worry about dumping water all over myself.  I take this with me everywhere, refill it as necessary.

*I want to be a particular clothing size by August 1st, so I'll focus on this, let the pounds take care of themselves

Wishing everyone success on this month's journey!

• Like 6

July

1. journal foods every day

2. walk 3 miles per day (possibly in two 1.5 mile sessions since I am home for the summer

3. Drink water

4. Remember to take my supplements daily

We leave for a LONG road trip in 3 weeks and I know I can't get my water in well on a road trip, nor can I get all my walking in.

Why do you think you have trouble drinking water on road trips? Is it a discipline issue? Would you rather drink something else?

I used to struggle with what to drink on road trips. It was too easy to run in and grab a soda or a lemonade when stopping at a gas station. I never felt good drinking that much sugar. I felt guilty not drinking water. It was a lose-lose situation. 

Over the past couple of years I have retrained myself and how I think about roadtrips. I take a small cooler with drinks and snacks. I buy the Bai drinks (5 cals each) which gives me the flavor I crave but not the calories I don't. I take my Shakeology cup (25 oz) and my Blender Bottle (20 oz) full of water. I can only have a Bai if I drink one of the waters first.  I refill the waters at rest stops. I never ever step foot in a gas station since I struggle with temptation. 

I make sure I pack grapes, hard boiled eggs, Baby Bel cheeses, baby carrots, and other snacks that I enjoy for the trip as well. If it's not in the car, I won't eat it. The truth is I eat healthier when traveling than I do at home. Home is stressful and I eat to alleviate stress.

• Like 3

Why do you think you have trouble drinking water on road trips? Is it a discipline issue? Would you rather drink something else?

I used to struggle with what to drink on road trips. It was too easy to run in and grab a soda or a lemonade when stopping at a gas station. I never felt good drinking that much sugar. I felt guilty not drinking water. It was a lose-lose situation. 

Over the past couple of years I have retrained myself and how I think about roadtrips. I take a small cooler with drinks and snacks. I buy the Bai drinks (5 cals each) which gives me the flavor I crave but not the calories I don't. I take my Shakeology cup (25 oz) and my Blender Bottle (20 oz) full of water. I can only have a Bai if I drink one of the waters first.  I refill the waters at rest stops. I never ever step foot in a gas station since I struggle with temptation. 

I make sure I pack grapes, hard boiled eggs, Baby Bel cheeses, baby carrots, and other snacks that I enjoy for the trip as well. If it's not in the car, I won't eat it. The truth is I eat healthier when traveling than I do at home. Home is stressful and I eat to alleviate stress.

Because I have a Type A personality husband who sighs deeply every time I ask if we can stop again for a bathroom break.  It has nothing to do with WHAT I am drinking.

• Like 2

My goal for July & August to gether is to loose about 5 kilograms.

If I manage that, I'll have psychological weight break through.

For the moment I try not to eat after a certain hour.

So far so good (started at the beginning of the week)

+++

I use the Walk away the pounds DVD too!

I alternate them with some strength training DVD's and long walks with dd outside :)

• Like 4

Because I have a Type A personality husband who sighs deeply every time I ask if we can stop again for a bathroom break.  It has nothing to do with WHAT I am drinking.

Have you tried speaking to him about your goals to become healthy and how those goals include drinking water?  Bathroom breaks can be 5 mins or less. Withholding fluids so that travel times are shortened isn't healthy for anyone.

(So says the woman who was severely dehydrated during a tennis match two weeks ago and developed intense muscle cramps and had to have someone else drive me the two hours home.)

• Like 4

Just finished C25K in prep for an upcoming 5K. I am still slow and when I ran the course yesterday, I felt pretty pathetic.

**I will keep walking in July.

**I need to do a little food reset, especially in the sweet department. Maybe I will do a mini W30 (which is not terrible, I just miss my coffee with cream so very much if I do 30 days).

**Get back to the gym at least 2-3 times/week and resume my strength training regimen. 

**Not stay up too late. I am not usually a late night person, but summer finds me up later than usual many nights. 

Happy July!

• Like 7

My goal for July is the same as every month - keep on keeping on. Sundays are usually my weigh in day, but as of last week I was down 97 lbs. I have roughly 30-40lbs to go. 19 lbs would get me a normal weight BMI. My end of year goal is a normal weight BMI.

I'm still training for a September half-marathon. My stretch goal is 2 hours and 30 minutes. My ultimate goal is a marathon in two years, but I refuse to run for longer than five hours so I need to pick up more speed before that is something I'll even consider.

Just finished C25K in prep for an upcoming 5K. I am still slow and when I ran the course yesterday, I felt pretty pathetic.

I have finished at the back of the pack many, many times. Sometimes I had maybe four or five people who finished after me. My December 2016 race I had less than 10 minutes to spare before the course cut off time so I can totally relate. This is my race mantra:

last place > didn't finish > didn't start

• Like 6

1- get in 80 ounces of water a day - Accomplished yesterday!

2- continue playing tennis as often as I can - played mixed doubles

3- go swimming at least once a week - zero so far

4- reduce the amount of chai I drink - No chai yesterday

5- reduce the amount of sweets I eat - one glass of lemonade and a mini Blizzard during the fireworks display

6- get in two bleacher workouts a week - none so far

I took the dog on a three mile walk and rode my bike to tennis. Other than the blizzard I ate well and am satisfied with yesterday's choices. 

• Like 4

Hi Everyone!   :seeya:

I haven't participated in the thread for awhile, but I'm going to try to start checking in here every day like I used to.  My exercise schedule got a bit disrupted.  I mentioned in another thread that my daughter was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, and she's been going through a rough time lately.  Exercise was the first line of treatment that the doctor recommended, and she had been mostly sedentary with a little light exercise up to that point.  So I kind of gave up on the exercise routine that I had established for myself, and started exercising with her doing what she wanted to do instead.  It has made a huge difference for her, she is doing much better, so I know it was the right thing to do.  But I have to somehow find the time and energy to do what I want to do as well, because I haven't been doing weights, and I can tell I've really lost ground in that area.   :sad:  

Daughter likes to hike.  In a way that's great, because we live in the foothills of the Sandia mountains where there are tons of hiking trails.  In another way it's not so great because I seem to have become "allergic" to heat since starting perimenopause :lol: and summers here in Albuquerque are very long and very hot!  

I've been doing well on the diet front, at least.  My Whole 30 was really great, and very eye-opening.  I learned that I can in fact live without dairy!  And since dairy was the culprit behind my tummy troubles, I've been highly motivated to 

keep it out of my diet.  I haven't gone back to eating grains either, at least not very often.  So I guess you could say I'm eating paleo now, and I like it.

My goal for July is to keep up the diet, keep up the hiking with my daughter, and ADD BACK THE WEIGHT-LIFTING.  (I'm yelling at myself not you guys!)  

• Like 8

Have you tried speaking to him about your goals to become healthy and how those goals include drinking water?  Bathroom breaks can be 5 mins or less. Withholding fluids so that travel times are shortened isn't healthy for anyone.

(So says the woman who was severely dehydrated during a tennis match two weeks ago and developed intense muscle cramps and had to have someone else drive me the two hours home.)

Um, I would be stopping more than once per hour, I have a very weak bladder, and we are traveling from NC to CA.  I can drink, I just can't have 64 ounces or I will be a complete mess without 5 min. breaks every 30 min-45 min, adding a 150 min (2.5 HOURS) to our 15 hour trip.

So, no.  Add to that my health concerns for food where I have to get out and use the cooler to prep my foods.....I am starting a new program/eating plan just 3 weeks before we leave.  He will argue that I can just start this later or do it differently for our actual drive days......and I agree with him......we are driving 2 solid days (with a one day stop in the middle) each way, for those 4 days, I can do things a bit differently.

• Like 2

I am heading to Whole Foods today to get some foods and supplements.

I am starting in earnest after going to WF.  I was good yesterday but today we are heading out to celebrate our anniversary at a restaurant I have been wanting to go to for years, so I will just eat some and enjoy but not over-indulge.

Plan to make some mason jar salads for the week for me, and chop up stuff for the family for the week.

Do you all have a place called Chopt?  It is a salad restaurant and very good.  They have large double handled knives and they chop everything up so well.  They are actually for pizzas but work well for large salads.  I am considering getting one.  I have wanted one for a while anyway.

• Like 4

My goals are to get 6 workouts in a week. It's been difficult with the swim taxi going on and the kids activities.

I'm also trying to figure out how to keep everything under control when we go on our 2week vacation. I won't have a gym to use and it's going to be way too hot to go outdoors much.

• Like 4

Back from our mini backpacking trip.

So, we didn't leave yesterday until 4:30 pm which meant we had limited time to hike and set up before dark. The girls were a bit whiny as although we've hiked lots they've never packed before. Anyway, the trail is pretty rugged, the section by us is not very well maintained, it is rated at 1 mi/per hour and we just did slightly better than that. We made it 2.5 mi in 2 hrs before setting up camp last night. It was nice and peaceful out there, we left the rain fly off and could see the stars as we slept. This morning I walked around a couple of miles (easy hiking) exploring around in different directions before the kids got up, then we did the 2.5 miles out, we made it in 1.5 hrs this morning, it was significantly cooler (not to mention less uphills than yesterday).  I carried the 4.5 yo on my back for most of the hiking. She is just about too big for that, my carrier is decent but it doesn't distribute weight like a good pack does. My quads were sure feeling it on the hills especially. I'm a little stiff.

All in all, I'd say it was a success for our first family backpacking trip. We'll just have to keep working on training the kids with packs and I've got to get a new pack for oldest dd as she doesn't have a good one. I told dh we need to be training hills more, as he was talking about doing the Grand Canyon to the bottom and back out and how it is all (obviously) uphill. Well, we live on an extremely steep hill(as in parts you need to hang on a tree to make it up), I said we need to work on that weekly and get our time down, then start adding weight. That would be better training than any stairmaster!

We start back to homeschooling next week so our schedule will be a little wonky until we get things ironed out. Aiming for strength work M/W/F. I'd hope we'd do some biking today but I bet we just chill tonight, Dh is off Tues for the 4th so hopefully we can get a bike ride then.

I put out an invite for others to work out in the park with me, so far I think one person is joining me (most everyone I know who is into fitness already has their own thing going on but I'm hoping to attract others that want to work out but don't have the motivation to do it on their own or just like working out with others.

My goal for July is the same as every month - keep on keeping on. Sundays are usually my weigh in day, but as of last week I was down 97 lbs. I have roughly 30-40lbs to go. 19 lbs would get me a normal weight BMI. My end of year goal is a normal weight BMI.

I'm still training for a September half-marathon. My stretch goal is 2 hours and 30 minutes. My ultimate goal is a marathon in two years, but I refuse to run for longer than five hours so I need to pick up more speed before that is something I'll even consider.

I have finished at the back of the pack many, many times. Sometimes I had maybe four or five people who finished after me. My December 2016 race I had less than 10 minutes to spare before the course cut off time so I can totally relate. This is my race mantra:

last place > didn't finish > didn't start

Woooohoooo! Great job on the weight loss, that is awesome! 

Keep on, keeping on is my motto too, continue with good habits, continue trying to make improvements.

**I will keep walking in July.

**I need to do a little food reset, especially in the sweet department. Maybe I will do a mini W30 (which is not terrible, I just miss my coffee with cream so very much if I do 30 days).

**Get back to the gym at least 2-3 times/week and resume my strength training regimen. 

**Not stay up too late. I am not usually a late night person, but summer finds me up later than usual many nights. 

Happy July!

Like mamaraby I'm a slow runner, although I'm not a super runner like her. I did 2 5k's last year and didn't break any records on either one but I ran the whole way and finished them and I was pretty proud of that. 

1- get in 80 ounces of water a day - Accomplished yesterday!

2- continue playing tennis as often as I can - played mixed doubles

3- go swimming at least once a week - zero so far

4- reduce the amount of chai I drink - No chai yesterday

5- reduce the amount of sweets I eat - one glass of lemonade and a mini Blizzard during the fireworks display

6- get in two bleacher workouts a week - none so far

I took the dog on a three mile walk and rode my bike to tennis. Other than the blizzard I ate well and am satisfied with yesterday's choices. 

You and chai, everytime you talk about it I want to make one, although chai is more of a cold weather treat for me.

Hi Everyone!   :seeya:

Greta, you're back!!!  Missed you! Sorry to hear about your daughter, glad you have found some things to help her. We visited Albuquerque a couple of times and took a tram up to the top of the Sandia Mountains, it was really gorgeous. I remember being impressed with all the bikers through there going up the mountain. Dairy isn't my friend either, although I eat it from time to time, it sure is tasty!

• Like 4

My goals for July are to get in lots of tennis, biking and walking, but the weather has NOT been cooperating at all. It's so frustrating.   We're thinking of getting a family membership with the city so we can all swim and go to the gym (at least the dc old enough).  The price is great, and I know the swimming part makes it worth it. I'm not a lover of gyms, but I'm desperate to get moving more so it's probably a really good move for us.

• Like 5

Greta, you're back!!!  Missed you! Sorry to hear about your daughter, glad you have found some things to help her. We visited Albuquerque a couple of times and took a tram up to the top of the Sandia Mountains, it was really gorgeous. I remember being impressed with all the bikers through there going up the mountain. Dairy isn't my friend either, although I eat it from time to time, it sure is tasty!

Thanks, soror!   :001_smile:

The tram is pretty fun, and the views are spectacular.  I think people in Albuquerque generally are pretty fit and active.  Not as much as people in Colorado!  But more than other states where I've lived.  Because of the high altitude and the mild winters it does draw some professional athletes who like to train here.  There's a foot race every August up the mountain on the La Luz trail.  I've hiked that trail, and it's challenging just walking it, because it's pretty long and quite steep in places.  I can't even imagine running it!  But my husband used to run it fairly regularly.

Dairy - yeah, I will still eat it from time to time, too.  But one of the great things that I think I am learning from doing Whole30 is to indulge only when it's really worth it.  A cheap fast food cheeseburger?  A bag of greasy chips?  A package of factory-made cookies?  As addictive and alluring as those foods are, when I truly stop to think about it: not worth it!  But a high-quality loaf of bread from the French cafe/bakery down the street, or a slice of sugar-free cheesecake from the restaurant with the best desserts in town?  Okay, now that's worth it every once in awhile.

I have always struggled with an "all or nothing" attitude about my food.  Either I'm on my diet/plan and I'm doing great, or I've fallen off the wagon and gone crazy and overindulged on every food within reach!  But somehow Whole 30 seems to be helping me change that.  Now I can have one indulgent food on occasion, enjoy it without guilt, and go on with my plan.  I'm not even sure exactly how it helped or what changed, but I'm grateful for it!

• Like 2

Today, I am going to get my 1 rep max retested at the gym and I'm excited! I want to see if my hamstring strength has increased to hit the correct proportion with my quad strength. (I think hamstring strength is supposed to be 2/3 of quad strength. At last testing, mine was 1/3.   :tongue_smilie:  Oops. It was creating problems with my knees. Hopefully, I'll have good things to report back!

Question: I don't usually pay tons of attention to macros, etc. I will eat a good meal (protein, fat, carbs) about 2 hours or so before my appointment and will work on making sure I am hydrated. Anything else I should do to perform optimally? 

UPDATE:

Well, I didn't improve as much as I had hoped. I knew the leg press couldn't go up too much. I was already at 1.84 x weight before. Today I pressed 1.9 times my weight. 

I was disappointed that my hamstring strength hadn't improved as much as I'd hoped. I had made progress: could lift 20% more than last year, but I needed to be able to have doubled what I could do last year to be at the right proportion to quad strength. (The reason that is important is knee and hip joints. Quads that are disproportionately strong pull too hard and pull the knee and/or hip out of whack.) 

So the good news is that I know my routine needs to be tweaked in order to achieve my goal of proportionate muscle strength. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 5

The weather was excellent today! I played tennis twice, biked, and walked a lot. It felt so good to be outside and moving.

For the first time ever in my life, I've joined a gym. We got a family membership so the dc, dh and I could work-out and swim and skate. The price was ridiculously low to do everything, so we joined for a year. I can go to Zumba classes, aqua-fitness, etc., as well as all the machines and free-weights. I can even use the hot-tub on my way home from a tennis match. I'm looking forward to that!  This is our "summer vacation" that will run all year, as we're not going anywhere this summer. We're all more excited about the membership than a vacation, I think, especially since I'll be able to do more fun things all year when the weather is really wet or cold.

The boys have already been to the gym, the indoor pool for wave swim and the outdoor pool, and we've only had the membership for one day. 

• Like 6

Yesterday we started the day back with PE, a couple of miles of brisk walking, ds and dd1 did some sprints (I skipped the sprints as my legs were sore already). Then we did bodyweight stuff in the afternoon. 

I think I'm going to sign the kids up for a race in Oct., the older 2 did it year before last and enjoyed it and it is free for kids to enter plus it gives them something to train for. 

Today I hope we get to bike BUT we also have to get some stuff done around the house (insurance guy is coming tomorrow for pics) and rain coming in at some point so we'll see.

The weather was excellent today! I played tennis twice, biked, and walked a lot. It felt so good to be outside and moving.

For the first time ever in my life, I've joined a gym. We got a family membership so the dc, dh and I could work-out and swim and skate. The price was ridiculously low to do everything, so we joined for a year. I can go to Zumba classes, aqua-fitness, etc., as well as all the machines and free-weights. I can even use the hot-tub on my way home from a tennis match. I'm looking forward to that!  This is our "summer vacation" that will run all year, as we're not going anywhere this summer. We're all more excited about the membership than a vacation, I think, especially since I'll be able to do more fun things all year when the weather is really wet or cold.

The boys have already been to the gym, the indoor pool for wave swim and the outdoor pool, and we've only had the membership for one day. 

Your gym sounds very nice and it sounds like you guys will get your money's worth for sure. I've been thinking about signing up to the one gym for the pool, the price for the gym for the whole family is the equivalent of me taking 1 class a week at the studio! 

I did a 5am HIIT class this morning!

I'm impressed! Good for you.

Today, I am going to get my 1 rep max retested at the gym and I'm excited! I want to see if my hamstring strength has increased to hit the correct proportion with my quad strength. (I think hamstring strength is supposed to be 2/3 of quad strength. At last testing, mine was 1/3.   :tongue_smilie:  Oops. It was creating problems with my knees. Hopefully, I'll have good things to report back!

Question: I don't usually pay tons of attention to macros, etc. I will eat a good meal (protein, fat, carbs) about 2 hours or so before my appointment and will work on making sure I am hydrated. Anything else I should do to perform optimally? 

UPDATE:

Well, I didn't improve as much as I had hoped. I knew the leg press couldn't go up too much. I was already at 1.84 x weight before. Today I pressed 1.9 times my weight. 

I was disappointed that my hamstring strength hadn't improved as much as I'd hoped. I had made progress: could lift 20% more than last year, but I needed to be able to have doubled what I could do last year to be at the right proportion to quad strength. (The reason that is important is knee and hip joints. Quads that are disproportionately strong pull too hard and pull the knee and/or hip out of whack.) 

So the good news is that I know my routine needs to be tweaked in order to achieve my goal of proportionate muscle strength. 

Sorry you didn't get the results you had hoped, ya for some progress.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

Your gym sounds very nice and it sounds like you guys will get your money's worth for sure. I've been thinking about signing up to the one gym for the pool, the price for the gym for the whole family is the equivalent of me taking 1 class a week at the studio! 

The awesome part is that it's not just one location, but all city recreation facilities. Some of the fitness studios and pools are brand new and beautiful. I keep pinching myself.

• Like 3

I'm out of town for three weeks this month. Goals are:

1. Keep doing Intermittent Fasting

2. Run three times a week

3. Really try to fit in some strength training, but this will depend on facilities and travel schedules. 

4. Stay close to my eating plan.

I give myself free reign on fruit when I'm out of this province. We don't grow a lot of things here and produce is often not so great here, so when I travel to places that actually grow fruits and vegetables I like to be able to eat as much of it as I want. 

• Like 6

3. Really try to fit in some strength training, but this will depend on facilities and travel schedules. 

I give myself free reign on fruit when I'm out of this province. We don't grow a lot of things here and produce is often not so great here, so when I travel to places that actually grow fruits and vegetables I like to be able to eat as much of it as I want. 

Are you visiting interior BC or Ontario? These seem to be the best fruit growing provinces. Growing up in Alberta, I loved going to BC to eat fresh fruit!!

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 2

Sarah: you might be interested in these do-anywhere strength training routines for when you travel:

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/the-20-minute-hotel-workout/   For hotel room

For park/playground: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/playground-workout/

After seeing these, I began to see parks and children's playgrounds with new eyes when I was traveling and just kept an eye out for anything I could use to do some training. 

I have a couple beach workouts bookmarked, too, if a beach is included in any of your travels. 

• Like 4

Loving the many activity options with the new rec facility membership! Ds 15 and I went to the gym for a half hour work-out, then biked to the outdoor pool to swim laps, and finished off by joining the younger ds's at the indoor pool. The boys swam in the wave pool while I sat in the hot tub. 

I'm playing some singles tennis tonight, so I don't want to completely overdo things.  :laugh:

• Like 4

We've been working our tails off today. I'm totally beat. Scrubbing and scrubbing. Scrubbing on my hands and knees, reaching, squatting, you name it. Moving heavy stuff. Raking. Etc. Etc. Still would love a bike ride but I've got to have some down time and still need to clean house (that might wait until the am).

Loving the many activity options with the new rec facility membership! Ds 15 and I went to the gym for a half hour work-out, then biked to the outdoor pool to swim laps, and finished off by joining the younger ds's at the indoor pool. The boys swam in the wave pool while I sat in the hot tub. 

I'm playing some singles tennis tonight, so I don't want to completely overdo things.  :laugh:

Lucky duck!!!!

Since work load is tremendous until the end of July, my goals are limited to:

Eating healthy

Sleeping as much as possible

Walking an hour per day, divided into two 30 minute sessions in AM and PM.

Sounds like a good plan!

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

1- get in my 80 ounces of water a day - I've managed to get in at least 60 ounces per day. I didn't drink enough water yesterday.

2- continue playing tennis as often as I can - twice so far; there are so few players in town who wanted to play over the long weekend :(

3- go swimming at least once a week - not yet

4- reduce the amount of chai I drink - I haven't had a chai at all. So this is counted as a win so far.

5- reduce the amount of sweets I eat - I made a homemade peach cobbler yesterday and had two helpings.  :(

6- get in two bleacher workouts a week - not yet

Yesterday was a quiet day. Everyone other then me had to work so I stayed home, cooked, read, and watched two movies. I think I was a bit sad and depressed for not having any social activities on the calendar. Not having friends really stinks at times. I should have forced myself to get out. I could have hit tennis balls against the wall, a bleacher workout, or something, anything. Instead, I moped which lead to rumination which lead to overeating which lead to me not feeling well which lead to self recrimination...

--

On Sunday, DH and I went on a long kayak trip on a river. The water level was a tad high and the current was rather strong. It was also quite windy and we almost didn't paddle due to the conditions. We gave it a go, however, and went about 3 miles with the current and had to paddle back to the landing. We were lucky and found a backwater that went about 1/4 of the way. The rest of the return trip was pure agony and I developed (for the first time ever while kayaking) a bout of motion sickness. All in all, we were on the water about 5 hours. I was so ill, we just loaded the boats and drove home; no going out for dinner. I did resist a 7up and a mint - these are my usual go-tos for a queasy stomach - due to wanting to reduce my sugar intake.

• Like 3

Yesterday was a quiet day. Everyone other then me had to work so I stayed home, cooked, read, and watched two movies. I think I was a bit sad and depressed for not having any social activities on the calendar. Not having friends really stinks at times. I should have forced myself to get out. I could have hit tennis balls against the wall, a bleacher workout, or something, anything. Instead, I moped which lead to rumination which lead to overeating which lead to me not feeling well which lead to self recrimination...

--

:grouphug:  I'm sorry you had a rough day.  I recently had a free day because my husband was out of town for work, and my daughter was at an all-day summer camp at the local uni.  I had no one to hang out with.  I spent it alone.  I really need to work on building a more active social life.  

• Like 3

I have always struggled with an "all or nothing" attitude about my food. Either I'm on my diet/plan and I'm doing great, or I've fallen off the wagon and gone crazy and overindulged on every food within reach!

That was one of the first things for me that had to go when I really started to lose weight successfully and not just temporarily. That's awesome if you've found a way to approach it that allows you to skip that!

I took Sunday as a rest day after being swayed by dh to hang around with him before he went to work. I had lots of justifications including the fact that the kids are camping with their grandparents and we were all alone at home. The house has been so quiet!

Monday I ran 6mi without paying close attention to pace. Just ran. This ended up being an issue as I discovered on Tuesday that I had messed up my running schedule on Sunday by not running.

Tuesday morning I discovered Monda's error. It was supposed to be a tempo run, but since Monday's pace ended up being faster, my legs could not seem to carry me fast enough. It ended up not being super terrible, but I cut it a mile short and ran 6mi instead of 7. The humidity also likely played a role.

I think I've finally gotten this week and next week fixed. I had two drop two hard workouts and sub easy ones so I'll still get the same mileage. Today I'm supposed to run 5mi, but will probably run 6mi instead.

• Like 3

:grouphug:  I'm sorry you had a rough day.  I recently had a free day because my husband was out of town for work, and my daughter was at an all-day summer camp at the local uni.  I had no one to hang out with.  I spent it alone.  I really need to work on building a more active social life.  

:grouphug:

• Like 3

:grouphug: I'm sorry you had a rough day. I recently had a free day because my husband was out of town for work, and my daughter was at an all-day summer camp at the local uni. I had no one to hang out with. I spent it alone. I really need to work on building a more active social life.

I've pretty much spent the last week alone as dh wasn't able to come home for dinner because things were crazy at work, never was able to come home on time (and thus slept longer during the hours he wasn't at work), and the kids were gone camping with their grandparents. On the one hand, I got quite a bit of work done. On the other hand, the dog and cats were my only company and aren't very good conversationalists.

I do not have time for an active social life given everything on my plate, but a slightly less active one would be nice.

ETA: There is a local running group that meets on Thursday nights, but during most of the year soccer/girl scouts means I can't make it. And even now, knowing a few of the runners that go, I'm not fast enough to keep up and participate in the social part.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 4

I've pretty much spent the last week alone as dh wasn't able to come home for dinner because things were crazy at work, never was able to come home on time (and thus slept longer during the hours he wasn't at work), and the kids were gone camping with their grandparents. On the one hand, I got quite a bit of work done. On the other hand, the dog and cats were my only company and aren't very good conversationalists.

I do not have time for an active social life given everything on my plate, but a slightly less active one would be nice.

ETA: There is a local running group that meets on Thursday nights, but during most of the year soccer/girl scouts means I can't make it. And even now, knowing a few of the runners that go, I'm not fast enough to keep up and participate in the social part.

I chuckled a bit at what you said about your dogs and cats, because I spent some time talking to my dogs during my day alone!  I guess you only have to really worry if they start "talking back", though, right?  ;-)

I am the world's slowest runner, so unfortunately a running group would be right out for me, though it does sound like fun.  On a recent hike with my daughter, however, we passed this group of elderly people that were obviously together on the trail, talking and laughing and having a great time.  I need something like that!!!

• Like 3

I chuckled a bit at what you said about your dogs and cats, because I spent some time talking to my dogs during my day alone! I guess you only have to really worry if they start "talking back", though, right? ;-)

I am the world's slowest runner, so unfortunately a running group would be right out for me, though it does sound like fun. On a recent hike with my daughter, however, we passed this group of elderly people that were obviously together on the trail, talking and laughing and having a great time. I need something like that!!!

Exactly! The cats ignore me with aloof indifference unless I'm capable of providing a heated seat. My dog's a Golden Retriever who is already of the opinion that everyone is his best friend so he thinks everything that I do that gives him attention is the best thing in the world. It does sort of fill the space in an empty house at least. But yeah, not talking back so I think we're both safe. :D

My dentist is in the running group and ever since dh and I saw him at a half marathon last year he has been trying to convince me to come. What I don't think he appreciates is that he finished towards the front of the pack at that race and I only had five people finish after me. I'm still not sure he appreciates the speed difference. Dh could totally go and keep up. He also would willingly run my pace, but that's cuz we're married and friends. I don't think the running group would do the same.

The group of folks hiking does sound like fun! I was going to suggest trying to form a group, but then meeting people on the internet (like MeetUp) to go hiking in potentially more remote areas seems like it's probably not a good idea, lol.

• Like 2

RE: running groups (I know this isn't about running but it's similar.)

I tried joining a local cycling group. It was fun at the beginning. There were about 15 ladies who would meet to ride on Sat morning and Wed evening.  My bike is a decent bike(not a super expensive road bike) and I have powerful legs and had no problem staying in the middle of the pack. I noticed, though, that over a couple of months the group started getting smaller and faster. Pretty soon the only ladies riding were the ones with expensive road bikes and who could ride 20+ miles an hour. I went on one ride and within 10 minutes was at the back of the back. Within 20, I couldn't see any other riders. After 30 mins, I turned around and went home.

I tried again this spring. The "in" thing now are tandem bikes so I was riding with expensive road bike cyclists and tandem cyclists. Again, I couldn't keep up; those tandems can fly. I knew the route they were taking so I did as much as I could before cutting it short and going home. I joined a riding group to be with other people, not to ride by myself. I can do that anytime I want to.

• Like 2

I tried again this spring. The "in" thing now are tandem bikes so I was riding with expensive road bike cyclists and tandem cyclists. Again, I couldn't keep up; those tandems can fly. I knew the route they were taking so I did as much as I could before cutting it short and going home. I joined a riding group to be with other people, not to ride by myself. I can do that anytime I want to.

Ugh! That stinks! You're right, though, since I do it by myself 99% of the time, being left in the dust when trying to do it socially just isn't worth it. For me, it would take a lot just to show up. To be left behind after that would be 10x worse. You have my admiration for giving it a try because I haven't even gotten that far. Sorry it happened to you. :(

Heh, my 6 miles today became 5 miles after it became clear that I was overly optimistic about just how hot it would feel with the humidity today. I hate humidity.

• Like 2

I took it a lot more easy today, after my flurry of activities yesterday. I went for a couple little walks during the day, and then had a laddies doubles competitive tennis match in the evening. It was a really fun match. Some great rallies and good pace on the ball. We were so evenly matched that we played 2 tie-breakers. My partner and I won in the end, which is also nice. 

• Like 4

I tried out a Zumba class this morning. I discovered that I don't like Zumba. It requires far too much thought and pointless movements for my liking. I'd rather spend an hour on a tennis court moving with some purpose. Ok, so even if the purpose is hitting a fuzzy ball back and forth to another person, there is strategy and a goal. :laugh:   The other ladies in the class seemed to enjoy it, though. 

I have a singles tennis match later this afternoon, so I'll chase after some balls then. ;)

• Like 3

I tried out a Zumba class this morning. I discovered that I don't like Zumba. It requires far too much thought and pointless movements for my liking. I'd rather spend an hour on a tennis court moving with some purpose. Ok, so even if the purpose is hitting a fuzzy ball back and forth to another person, there is strategy and a goal. :laugh:   The other ladies in the class seemed to enjoy it, though. 

I have a singles tennis match later this afternoon, so I'll chase after some balls then. ;)

haha. When I saw your first line I guessed that you wouldn't like it! ;) 

As to thought and pointless movements: Yes, it does require thought and that is one of the reasons that dance is so good for your brain!  (So is something like tennis ;)) . The first few classes though aren't typically the greatest of workouts because you have to learn so many moves. After that, yeah. It's vigorous. I hit my HR max usually several times during a class.

I have learned that movements I thought had little or no purpose are actually chosen by a good instructor. with quite a bit of purpose. For instance, there was one movement that looked simply like a little flourish like a belly dancer would do. I was :001_rolleyes: Nope. Come to find, it was targeting particular small muscles in the rotator cuff. Ok then. 

To each her own!   :) 

• Like 3

RE: running groups (I know this isn't about running but it's similar.)

I tried joining a local cycling group. It was fun at the beginning. There were about 15 ladies who would meet to ride on Sat morning and Wed evening. My bike is a decent bike(not a super expensive road bike) and I have powerful legs and had no problem staying in the middle of the pack. I noticed, though, that over a couple of months the group started getting smaller and faster. Pretty soon the only ladies riding were the ones with expensive road bikes and who could ride 20+ miles an hour. I went on one ride and within 10 minutes was at the back of the back. Within 20, I couldn't see any other riders. After 30 mins, I turned around and went home.

That sounds entirely annoying. And aggravating. And annoying.

haha. When I saw your first line I guessed that you wouldn't like it! ;)

As to thought and pointless movements: Yes, it does require thought and that is one of the reasons that dance is so good for your brain!  (So is something like tennis ;)) . The first few classes though aren't typically the greatest of workouts because you have to learn so many moves. After that, yeah. It's vigorous. I hit my HR max usually several times during a class.

I have learned that movements I thought had little or no purpose are actually chosen by a good instructor. with quite a bit of purpose. For instance, there was one movement that looked simply like a little flourish like a belly dancer would do. I was :001_rolleyes: Nope. Come to find, it was targeting particular small muscles in the rotator cuff. Ok then. 

To each her own!   :)

That's what I was wondering. I had to try and keep up with all the moves, but if they repeated the same routines over and over again it would potentially get boring? And some of the hip moves were just not for me. There's a reason I live in the far north - my hips do not move!  :lol:

• Like 3