Menu

How Do You Search For An Unusual Feature in Colleges?

Ginevra

In looking for colleges that might be good for DS17, some things have been difficult because his interest areas are inconsistent and we have some LDs to work around. But recently, he said he thought "Sound Engineering" would be a fascinating major (and yes, I wonder how well that can turn into work/career that pays the rent). So, interestingly enough, when we went on a college tour today, he said the only thing he did not love about this college was, "it doesn't seem like they have anything special in the music department, like, no special sound system or recording studio features." Okay - that's true but it is the first I have heard that he is even paying one iota of attention to this!

However, I also have no idea how I would search for colleges that have this feature. Additionally, "Sound Engineering" is not a readily-available major and it doesn't turn up on Big Future. I would have to search "Music" and then try to find individual colleges that have good reps for the sound engineering element of music. (I guess!)

Lastly, though, strange serendipity: I was looking through emails after the college visit, and clicked on one for Univeristy of New Haven. I watched a virtual tour. Funnily enough, they mention how they have an amazing recording studio and some agreement with Nashville (something like that) for training on the "best sound equipment in the country." Strange, eh? I have never heard of, seen, been to, nor know a single thing about UNH. And it's private and that makes me very nervous because of expense.

• Like 1

Here's a list of schools for audio engineering.  http://protoolstutorial.org/best-audio-engineering-schools/

However, it seems like this type of thing would be better learned as an apprentice (official or unofficial-hanging-out-at-a-studio-after-my-day-job type thing).  Making connections would probably be higher on the list than getting a 4-yr degree.

Edited by WendyAndMilo

Try to do more research into that career and how people get into it. Because it definitely is a career, how else do records get made? But without knowing a lot about it myself, it's one of those things I wouldn't automatically assume goes through a four year college path.

Lastly, though, strange serendipity: I was looking through emails after the college visit, and clicked on one for Univeristy of New Haven.

(Snip)

And it's private and that makes me very nervous because of expense.

All schools have Net Price Calculators to help you figure out your expenses more closely. This link comes from New Haven's financial aid website.

https://newhaven.studentaidcalculator.com/survey.aspx

• Like 1

Here's a list of schools for audio engineering. http://protoolstutorial.org/best-audio-engineering-schools/

However, it seems like this type of thing would be better learned as an apprentice (official or unofficial-hanging-out-at-a-studio-after-my-day-job type thing). Making connections would probably be higher on the list than getting a 4-yr degree.

That article if fantastic!

University of Denver has such a program. We have a friend who did it. Don't nix private colleges--several times we've found them cheaper than state schools. My youngest and oldest both went the private route.

There's also acoustical engineering--my dh minored in it. http://www.collegexpress.com/lists/list/colleges-where-you-can-study-acoustics-and-or-audio-engineering/161/

Well, here's one thing that is so funny about that. Now remember, though I love Colorado (my brother lives there), we are FAR away from there, in Maryland. But when DS was in 9th grade, for whatever out-of-the-blue reason (most likely having to do with snowboarding), he used to say he wanted to go to University of Denver. He's long since stopped saying that, but now we learn that Denver does have a program like this. It's funny.

The private thing makes me a giant ball of anxiety. I don't know if I can stomach it. I don't like the idea of letting a kid fall in love with some college only to find out they aren't offering diddly poo and now I have to stomp on my kid's heart and try to make him see State U is perfectly fine after all. It also bothers me that every year, we again have to hope the grants and scholarships are just as good as they were the previous year. I guess I basically just need a lot of certainty whenever possible.

• Like 1

My niece's boyfriend graduated from University of Hartford last year and majored in Sound Engineering. He got a job shortly after graduation that pays very well!

That's great to know!

I'm beginning to wish he had some experience with sound technology. My friend's son ran the sound board at her church for several years before college. DS has very little sound tech experience. All he's done is play for chapel band at his high school. I wonder if there are any good opportunities he could pursue with this now and through his senior year? I never knew this was going to mean anything to him and now it drops abruptly on my lap.

My nephew majored in Music Tech at a state uni here and now does events and weddings and is in a band. He might be able to direct DS into something useful, if I have the opportunity to talk to him. Family dynamics are a bit strained there with the parents, so that makes him not our most accessible option. He would be a good resource, though, because he and DS are very similar people, right down to the LDs involved.

Ugh. I just went through this exact process. There are so many names depending on which department and degree is involved. Some lean more toward engineering and some are geared toward music majors where auditions are involved. Depending on the college, you can find B of Science, B of Arts and B of Music options. Some get into the physics of acoustics and some are just for music majors who want to be able to record.  It was a lot of work to find a good match. He didn't want to audition if he could help it. He didn't want a B of Music and a ton of music classes. 

great research !!

Are you concerned about over specialization and job availability?

How many Audio Engineering jobs are out there?

I read an interesting blog a while back about how a person ended up in the music industry in California as an Audio Engineer / sound person but the path was mostly internships and the pay was not that good at all.

Sorry I don't want to burst any bubbles if that's your child's dream. I tend to be very pragmatic.

• Like 2

great research !!

Are you concerned about over specialization and job availability?

How many Audio Engineering jobs are out there?

I read an interesting blog a while back about how a person ended up in the music industry in California as an Audio Engineer / sound person but the path was mostly internships and the pay was not that good at all.

Sorry I don't want to burst any bubbles if that's your child's dream. I tend to be very pragmatic.

I do feel concerned about this myself (though you weren't quoting me). However, for us, there are a few other considerations: 1) DS has to work around some language-based LDs, so it is not easy to find something he is interested in that will not be hampered by difficulty with writing or reading; i.e., History; 2) i am not of the thinking that college is always a job training sort of endeavor, although I am happy if it works out that way, too; 3) I have the example of my nephew, who is quite similar to DS, including LDs; his degree doesn't inform his earnings that much, but he is not sorry he got it.

It was just amazing to me during the college tour yesterday. At one point, we went into a classroom that had a cabinet full of tech equipment humming away in the corner and *that* was the thing DS was drawn to as a moth flies to the porch light. He immediately walked over to it, pushed the cabinet door open a bit wider, and started looking at all those lights and knobs. I would like to see what he would do if we went on tour to a school that does actually cater to this interest. He might moan in ecstasy. ðŸ˜

I'm beginning to wish he had some experience with sound technology. My friend's son ran the sound board at her church for several years before college. DS has very little sound tech experience. All he's done is play for chapel band at his high school. I wonder if there are any good opportunities he could pursue with this now and through his senior year? I never knew this was going to mean anything to him and now it drops abruptly on my lap.

My nephew majored in Music Tech at a state uni here and now does events and weddings and is in a band. He might be able to direct DS into something useful, if I have the opportunity to talk to him. Family dynamics are a bit strained there with the parents, so that makes him not our most accessible option. He would be a good resource, though, because he and DS are very similar people, right down to the LDs involved.

Do you have a public access TV station locally? My son took a summer camp one year in elementary school at ours and ended up being involved in a wide variety of roles throughout high school. They offer classes in video and audio production and once certified, people can use their equipment to produce shows and also volunteer on the many shows they produce each year. Although never a career related goal for my son, it did mesh well with his interest in high end audio equipment which led to a very lucrative part-time sales job during college.

I do know someone who is very successful working on sound for movies in CA, although perhaps that is a bit different than your son's interest. He is entirely self taught, having trained to be a CPA. But he travels the world for both business and pleasure and never seems to have trouble getting his next gig. The first few years were rough as he worked to break into the industry and establish himself, but now he has a very successful freelance career.

• Like 2

I think it is great to see what he can do this year to gain some experience, because it is good to know how interested he really is in the major. However, if he can't find any/much experience that is okay too. My recent college graduate didn't have a lot of experience in her chosen major four years ago, but even thouh other students had more experience going into college, she did great in her classes, had multiple internships, did on-campus research, and had a job lined up before graduation. So, it is definitley not too late for your son. (She also took advantage of open course classes.)

• Like 1

Perhaps community theater or community band if the high school doesn't have student sound techs for their productions.

You need sound engineers for radio stations, don't you???  Temple University in Philly might have a sound engineer program.  I know they have a Jazz Station.

There is a "Rock Music School" in Frederick and kids can jam and also record.  FrederickRockSchool.com (for some reason I can't paste the link.)   "a combination of music lessons facility and after school rock and roll community center for ages 5- Adult.  Students learn to play guitar, etc.....AND Record Engineering......"

Edited by Nicholas_mom
  • Like 1

You need sound engineers for radio stations, don't you???  Temple University in Philly might have a sound engineer program.  I know they have a Jazz Station.

Unfortunately the trend is towards fewer radio stations in the future.  It is hard to predict what jobs/careers are needed 10 years from now so over specialization is risky.

You need sound engineers for radio stations, don't you??? Temple University in Philly might have a sound engineer program. I know they have a Jazz Station.

There is a "Rock Music School" in Frederick and kids can jam and also record. FrederickRockSchool.com (for some reason I can't paste the link.) "a combination of music lessons facility and after school rock and roll community center for ages 5- Adult. Students learn to play guitar, etc.....AND Record Engineering......"

That would be great! I'll have to look into it. I did see where Howard Community College has a Music Technology class in their fall credit class schedule, but I would have to arrange it with his school; it is Tue/Thu 2-3:30.

I don't know where you are located, but we just found this little gem this summer in St. Paul MN. 

http://www.mcnallysmith.edu/

It's a very hands on, tech based music college.  They have 2 year and 4 year programs.  My Sophomore just went to a song writing workshop for high schoolers there and they also had audio engineering and sound production workshops too.  My 16 year old was in heaven and is thinking a bunch harder about going in a music direction (he's taken piano for 11 years and also studies voice and guitar now, does theater, performs regularly, etc).  I'm not sure if this would actually be a fit for him for college, but for someone looking for a hands on program it seems fabulous.  I was very impressed with the facilities. 

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 1

Small update: we toured at an in-state public recently and found that, while they do not have a specifically awesome music department, they do have an interest-specific dorm for music and performing arts. There are music studios and audio mixing equipment for the students to use and there is a Music Technology major. He was very enthusiastic about this college. So we'll see. 😊

• Like 5