Menu

Other than the WTM boards, what are some other homeschooling boards you visit

It's not specifically a homeschool board, but there are homeschoolers there- the Managers of Their Homes (MOTH) forum- and it's a very supportive place if you're looking for scaffolding etc. to help you with the whole school/family/home balance. I like it as it's a very positive place, which is sometimes hard to find. Sometimes you just want support without the criticism or disagreement. 

I'm puzzled by the hostility towards academics in general, lol.

It's a 2017 thing, not a homeschooling thing or anything limited to Facebook/mainstream internet culture.

I get a lot of it. The first thing people usually say when I tell them I have a daughter who is working on her Masters in Philosophy is usually, "I am so sorry." and then, "Cheer up, maybe it's just a phase."

Sadly it isn't just anti-intellectualism, but it pro-asininity.
  • Like 3

I try to join Facebook groups specific to various curricula I use (Right Start, Brave Writer, etc) and there seem to be Facebook groups for pretty much every product out there. The Big Juicy Conversations About Math Facebook group has some great living math ideas, particularly games and puzzles.

SEA Homeschoolers on Facebook is a good general resource, but I'm often puzzled by the hostility towards Academics by some of the members, given the name. :confused1:   

I've been puzzled at SEA by a vocal group of posters who seem to really like very schoolish, dull, workbook materials that are very basic, which would seem to be the very antithesis of both academic and eclectic. But it's such a big group with so many contingents that I can't really keep up. I don't think Facebook lends itself well to that size group. Unlike on here, where you can easily go back and read a thread, it's difficult on FB. So unless I see a post early on, I don't want to bother with it. It works for groups like the Brave Writer group though, because it's smallish.

• Like 1