Menu

Baby gift help. Spanish picture books?

BarbecueMom

Our neighbors just had their first baby. New Dad has lived in the house next door his whole life (his parents moved to a new house a couple years ago and gave him the old one), and New Mom is from Mexico. For a baby gift, I want to give them some board or picture books, both in English and Spanish. I've read Spanish picture books to my kids over the years, but I am not fluent enough to recognize poor translations or nuances in dialect. I know my kids loved "Los tres cerditos" (The Three Little Pigs), more than the English version, but it was one of those generic "library got these for free from the publisher" copies, and I'm not sure how good those really are.

Any suggestions? Or should I just go with the Amazon gift card?

There are quite a few classics that we had either as two texts (one Spanish + one English), or had the bilingual text. Oso pardo, oso pardo, ¿qué ves ahí? (Brown Bear, Brown Bear) was a favorite for us. Others we liked: Pintura de ratón/Mouse Paint, La oruga muy hambrienta/The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Perro grande...perro pequeño/Big Dog...Little Dog, Stella Blackstone's Bear series in the bilingual version (Oso en un cuadrado/Bear in a Square was one the kids especially liked). 

I'm not a fluent speaker, but DH is and found all those translations to be fine. Some of them used language a little different than he would normally use, but we just used that as a teaching point for our kids (and me, too, most of the time, lol).

• Like 1

I give the Sandra Boynton board books for baby gifts. There are a bunch translated into Spanish on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Libros-en-español-Sandra-Boynton-Books/

I may do Sandra Boynton books for English, but some of the reviews for the Spanish translation weren't so great. They are some of my favorites though. I'll probably buy my grandkids full sets plus replacements (we're on our second or third Going to Bed Book). Thanks!

There are quite a few classics that we had either as two texts (one Spanish + one English), or had the bilingual text. Oso pardo, oso pardo, ¿qué ves ahí? (Brown Bear, Brown Bear) was a favorite for us. Others we liked: Pintura de ratón/Mouse Paint, La oruga muy hambrienta/The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Perro grande...perro pequeño/Big Dog...Little Dog, Stella Blackstone's Bear series in the bilingual version (Oso en un cuadrado/Bear in a Square was one the kids especially liked).

I'm not a fluent speaker, but DH is and found all those translations to be fine. Some of them used language a little different than he would normally use, but we just used that as a teaching point for our kids (and me, too, most of the time, lol).

Thanks! I'll look at those.