Menu

Curricula that uses dictation daily

I have noticed that my son seems to comprehend better when he is asked to dictate a passage first, versus just hearing it or reading it.  Perhaps it works since it is engaging multiple senses simultaneously, He has a language and auditory processing disorder.

I am looking for curricula that are open and go that emphasize dictation as a means of prelearning the material.  The ideal curricula would introduce a lesson (any subject) or literature (any chapter of a book) with a primer paragraph to be dictated.  The primer paragraph would summarize the chapter or the lesson at hand to provide some background knowledge and introduce the vocabulary and concepts, before jumping into the lesson or chapter.  Ideally what would follow are a series of questions or activities to scaffold the reading material as you go along, to ensure understanding.  For instance, picture cards to sequence the story, or questions or a graphic organizer to identify the characters, the setting, the problem, the emotions, etc.  I know I could piece all this together myself with a lot of work, but looking for something already done, open and go.  It needs to also not be too juvenile, since I will be using this with a teen and want to stay age respectful.  So no talking animals, cartoons, or juvenile themes.

Thanks so much for any and all suggestions!

Well, English Lessons Through Literature uses copywork daily from the material.  You could use that for dictation instead.

Or, Moving Beyond The Page lessons have a synopsis of the chapter you can read aloud, followed by various activities to reinforce the work.  For example, lesson 4 of the Hobbit goes like this:

"Bilbo and the dwarves have been captured by the goblins. In this chapter you will learn the fate of the characters as their adventure continues. Also, Bilbo discovers a powerful object."

-comprehension questions
-mapwork

-continue work on foreshadowing page, looking for key words as the child rereads the chapter.

-runes worksheet

-riddles worksheet

The guide has a chart to fill in as you go detailing the events of each chapter to help keep it organized.

Each level requires more written work than before.  The 10-12yo guides have more emphasis on graphic organizers, venn diagrams, etc. and might be a better fit. For example, here would be the Giver, lesson 4:

"Today Jonas participates in the Ceremony of Twelve. The elders have a surprising assignment for him"

-comprehension questions

-euphemisms worksheet

-italics worksheet

The previous lesson has an organizer for all the Stages of Life in the book, an overview page of the community's rules and laws, and the guide starts out with a character development chart that is filled in lesson by lesson.  By the end they've done a plot flowchart (drawing their own pictures/writing), a storyboard, and the story is used in all the worksheets to provide examples of the focus.