Menu

W&R Fable scheduling

Sally Day

We did Fable similar to that schedule, 3 days a week. Day one would be the story, Talk About It, and Go Deeper. Day two would be copy work, dictation, and whichever other writing technique (e.g. Amplification, copiousness, etc). Day three would be the larger writing task and Speak It. I admit we skipped several Speak It activities because he was heavily involved in drama at the time and did recitation/poetry memorization outside of W&R.

We started the year with MCT grammar and writing books, which take a few weeks, and did daily sentence work in the Practice book. We didn't start W&R until after grammar book was over, therefore did not alternate between grammar and writing as suggested in W&R. We also do Latin ergo grammar.

For reference we did Fable in the second half of 4th grade, Nar I and half of Nar II in 5th, finished Nar II and Chreia (also took ~5 weeks to work on outlining with another book) in 6th, and have planned books 5-7 for 7th.

Why are the books only 1 semester when other books using the same idea (classical writing/classical composition) take a full year for each level?

Why are the books only 1 semester when other books using the same idea (classical writing/classical composition) take a full year for each level?

I think it is impractical to simply divide up the levels of the progym by school year. It's doubtful that was the application in their classical origin. I think CAP's scope and sequence is a little more reflective of this (eg two semesters of narrative, Combining Chreia and Proverb into one semester, etc). Also, W&R is not intended to be an 8 year plus program like other progym curricula, but six years so the remaining years of high school are focused on application of rhetoric. There is actually a one year progym curriculum out there for middle school, and some secondary schools teach the progym over only a year or two.