Menu

Any suggestions for stabilizing slippery, sliding mattress pads?

ILiveInFlipFlops

Awhile back, I bought some very plush mattress pads/covers for the kids beds. Unfortunately, the skirt portion is so deep that the mattress pads don't fit very snugly on the mattresses, and within a few days, the whole cover portion has slid over 6-10 inches, taking the fitted sheet with it (but never in the same proportion so one can just pull it back into place--that would be too easy) and making it very hard to wrestle it all back into place.

This is the first time I've ever had this problem with mattress covers! Does some kind of fix or technique already exist for dealing with it? It drives the kids (and by extension, me) crazy, especially when I'm trying to repeatedly fix the one on oldest DD's daybed, with all its exposed bolts and springs and wire, grrr!

Thanks.

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

There are different makes of this rubber-like material, it's not really fabric, sort of like shelf liner, that might work for helping it to stay in place. Maybe. I don't know. Some of them may have strong odors until they air out. 

Here, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Cushion-Stay-Non-slip-Underlay-Cushions/dp/B00KOVOZ8S 

Only I'm sure you can find it in bigger sizes. Not sure if that would work.

• Like 1

There are different makes of this rubber-like material, it's not really fabric, sort of like shelf liner, that might work for helping it to stay in place. Maybe. I don't know. Some of them may have strong odors until they air out. 

Here, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Cushion-Stay-Non-slip-Underlay-Cushions/dp/B00KOVOZ8S

Only I'm sure you can find it in bigger sizes. Not sure if that would work.

That's what I used keep DS21's memory foam mattress pad from sliding when he went off to college and the dorm had plastic covered mattresses. I think what I used was sold as a rug gripper. Apparently he was the only one in his four person suite who didn't have problems with his mattress pad sliding.

But if the OP has a pad with a skirt and the issue is it's too deep then the clips might work better. IF the skirt is strong enough material to clip them to w/o ripping?

• Like 1

Hmmm, I didn't think about the grippy stuff. I've used that as an area rug stabilizer, so I know what it is. I don't really want to use anything between the mattresses and the pads if I don't have to, but it may come to that! I've also seen the clips before, but I'm not sure they'll hold well in the skirt fabric without ripping it if it's trying to move a lot. Although...maybe the straps under the mattress in addition strategically placed strips of grippy backing at the head and foot? The underside of the mattress pad is a rough, stiffer material, so that just might work...

Thanks, everyone! Now I have a plan that will hopefully end this ridiculousness. DD11's mattress is off her bed (sleeping on the floor for the moment), and even then she and I still had to wrestle with the dratted thing to get it to even out. Probably would have been easier to just remake the whole bed  :glare:

• Like 1