Menu

Phone calls: You have won a vacation stay at a very reduced price...

I am cautious about these phone calls, but the ones where you can get a vacation at very reduced rates, makes me wonder if anyone has actually tried one of these?

I hear that if you sit through sales pitches, you can get a nice hotel stay in places like Hawaii, etc. for very little cost.    So, I thought I would check to see if anyone out there has had experiences with either of these?  We would like to go to Hawaii and not break the bank, so I thought i would put this out there to any of you?  Have you tried either of these ways to save costs?  Or are they just scams?

• Like 1

That is to get you to sit through an EXTREMELY HIGH PRESSURE Timeshare Sales presentation. Yes, you will get the reduced price stay in a nice Resort, but you would be far better off to Rent a Timeshare, as we did last year, from a very reputable company on eBay, and not have any obligation to waste 1/2 day of your precious vacation time. They will tell you it is for one hour or two hours, but it will probably be much much longer.

Timeshares are NOT investments. People will GIVE you their Timeshare, and they will pay the Transfer charges (Escrow, etc.) to get out from under them. You cannot write off the loss on your Income Tax. Most charities will not allow you to donate them to the charity.

You can read stories on the Timeshare User Group web site about people who paid USD $17000 for a Timeshare that someone would give them for Free or for one dollar.  

We stayed at Villas at Summer Bay near Orlando one year ago. It was wonderful.   If I was 25 years old and had guaranteed income for the rest of my life, possibly I would consider taking over someone's Timeshare there.  

We got our Rental there from magicalholidays on eBay.  That's the eBay name for SkyAuction.com  We had no problems with them. 

We would be glad to go back to Villas at Summer Bay and glad to Rent via magicalholidays on eBay.

IF YOU WANT TO BUY A TIMESHARE, AFTER YOU STUDY, BUY RESALE. DO NOT BUY FROM THE DEVELOPER...

PLEASE STUDY the information on the Timeshare Users Group web site and get an idea of what those Sales Presentations are like:

http://www.tug2.net/

• Like 4

My sister insisted she'd never buy one.  She bought one.  I thought she wouldn't fold under that pressure.  She did.  LOL

I have to say she does like it and use it though.  I don't know that it's so super awesome, but she has a very flexible schedule and doesn't mind vacationing at odd times.  So it works for her.

• Like 1

Technically, most aren't scams. But you should know that you are often not staying at the property they are trying to sell you. Usually a hotel nearby. And that both you & your husband must attend the full presentation. They often have a childcare area for children. At least they used to, we haven't attended one in over 20 years but still get solicitations.

Edited by QueenCat
  • Like 2

I'm going to agree with Lanny. If you want to stay at a resort that also does timeshares or "vacation points" or whatever they call it these days... rent a unit. Avoid the sales pitch, or the web, as DH and I call it.

If you go for the reduced vacation rates for their sales pitch - you likely will be staying in a hotel near the resort and just going over to tour it. Plan on doubling the amount of time they tell you the tour will take, and be prepared for extremely hard sales tactics. And don't buy directly from them, get a resale.

With that caveat, DH and I own a timeshare. We bought it when we did not have kids, it is paid off and we have maintenance fees only. We have a deeded timeshare, I'm not sure they even do those now! Anyway, for us - it has been excellent. We trade it in, use the points and have traveled all over the world. DS has LTFAs so we must have a kitchen. It's been perfect. But we do not attend ANY sales pitches, I don't care what they are offering, our time is more precious.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 3

The timeshare presentation is so high pressure!  We did it once, thinking we were totally invincible to those type of things.  We STILL almost caved.  Those guys know what they're doing!  And when we escaped we felt bruised and battered.  I don't think it's worth it.

• Like 2

The timeshare presentation is so high pressure! We did it once, thinking we were totally invincible to those type of things. We STILL almost caved. Those guys know what they're doing! And when we escaped we felt bruised and battered. I don't think it's worth it.

Yes! Bruised and battered afterward, and needing recovery time. It's really Not Fun.

• Like 1

I've been to several timeshare presentations. I walk in and tell the salesperson, "You have (1 or 2) hours. We are not going to buy. We will do your tour and sign whatever you need for us to sign, but I can tell you right now, we will not buy."

One got rather aggressive and asked us a lot of questions that were basically related to whether we qualified (you had to make a minimum amount, etc.).  We did. He then asked why we were there.  "We're here for the free stuff," I told him. You have to remember that you aren't a prisoner. And just keep repeating yourself.  "Yes, that pool is nice, but we won't be buying a timeshare."

• Like 1

Follow-on to my previous reply.  Others have stated that you would probably not be staying in one of the Timeshare units in the Resort that you visit.  I believe that is true. Where we stayed (Villas at Summer Bay Orlando) those are the smaller 2 BR units in Summer Bay Orlando.  After we entered the Gate to Summer Bay Orlando, we took an almost immediate right turn, to get to the building where  our unit was located.  We were behind what looked like a 5 or 6 story building. I believe that is their hotel and that is where the people who are lured in as you were, for a low price vacation stay to attend a Sales Presentation stay. I do not think those rooms have kitchens, etc. Our unit had 2 BR 2 BA and a fully equipped kitchen.  3 TV sets, etc.  

I suspect that if you were interested in visiting a property like that and you contacted them, they would be delighted to offer you a special deal and throw in tickets for Universal Orlando or put USD $100 in your hand or some other gift.  If you sit through their Sales presentation, you deserve a discount and a gift.

As you know, you did not win anything. They called you because you were on their list of numbers to call.

Again, STUDY the information on the Timeshare Users Group web site:  http://www.tug2.net/

We did not have free time to enjoy the beautiful grounds and amenities at Summer Bay Orlando, but it is a very  beautiful place and we would go back there if we had the $ to do so.   9/10 points based on our stay there one year ago.  

http://www.exploriaresorts.com/destinations/summer-bay-orlando/#.WVLOve3yuvE

I hang up. It is not a vacation for me if I have to go listen to the Used Car Sales On Steroids pitch for a whole day. Often these offers are for the hotel, maybe tickets to entertainment, and maybe food. They usually do not include travel. i am simply not willing to spend the money to get to such a thing.

Now if they offered to show me a bridge in Rome, all expenses paid, maybe just maybe I'd bite on that!

There are different companies that do this, avoid them all except Hilton. Hilton is really proud of their "#1 in customer satisfaction" thing, and they're not willing to jeopardize that rep. They'll do a 2-hour tour of the resort and the moment 2 hours is up, you can go on your way. If you can say "no", you can get a killer deal on vacations. Less than $200 bucks for 4 days in Orlando, and you get $200 back, or like $600 for 6 days in Hawaii, right on the beach. 
Just avoid the high-pressure guys (non-Hilton) like the plague.

There are different companies that do this, avoid them all except Hilton. Hilton is really proud of their "#1 in customer satisfaction" thing, and they're not willing to jeopardize that rep. They'll do a 2-hour tour of the resort and the moment 2 hours is up, you can go on your way. If you can say "no", you can get a killer deal on vacations. Less than $200 bucks for 4 days in Orlando, and you get $200 back, or like $600 for 6 days in Hawaii, right on the beach.

Just avoid the high-pressure guys (non-Hilton) like the plague.

We did a Hilton timeshare presentation. It was such a bad experience, we haven't stayed at a Hilton property since then. The sales person was fine but everything else was horrible. We didn't receive what we were promised. Complaining to a supervisor as well as filling out a written complaint had no effect.

Do you think that if enough of us who get these calls all accepted and booked at the same time we could get a WTM getaway for almost free????? Imagine them doing the sales presentation to a whole group of us at once.

:lol: Love it!