Menu

Senior Year Math/ Transcript Issue

My daughter will be a senior and struggles in Math. We only made it halfway through Algebra 2 her junior year and that was a challenge. The colleges she's looking at only require 3 years of math but our umbrella school requires 4 years.  I want to continue with Algebra 2 her senior year and also allow her to work through her ACT Math prep-book this fall.  If our umbrella school didn't require 4 years, I'd just omit putting any math down for her senior year and press with finishing Algebra 2. My goal right now is just to make sure she's prepared for college algebra which is the only requirement for the degrees she's looking at. How do I solve the transcript problem?!? I don't want to ask my umbrella school yet and put us on their radar to micro-manage this issue.  :001_unsure:

Thanks for any suggestions!

I had considered consumer math but wondered if it would look wimpy for her senior year since most kids are taking upper level maths. I'm certainly open to it if colleges wouldn't be turned off by it. Maybe if her ACT Math score was respectable it wouldn't matter??  She's not looking at ultra competitive colleges so maybe I'm worrying too much about it!?

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe that is a good option. 

• Like 1

Had not thought about Accounting/Bookkeeping. Those are great ideas.   I had no idea ALEKS had that many course options. We currently use them for reviewing /keeping fresh on math basics.  Thanks so much for the suggestions!!

• Like 2

I had considered consumer math but wondered if it would look wimpy for her senior year since most kids are taking upper level maths. I'm certainly open to it if colleges wouldn't be turned off by it. Maybe if her ACT Math score was respectable it wouldn't matter??  She's not looking at ultra competitive colleges so maybe I'm worrying too much about it!?

Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe that is a good option. 

My issue with consumer math is this: If algebra 2 was such a struggle, I would want to keep those skills fresh for success in college algebra. I'd be coming up with a course and title that will let solidify her algebra skills and move forward in algebra 2. 

Intermediate Algebra. Algebra Essentials with Special Topics. Introduction to College Algebra. 

Whatever! I would not want a student who struggled that much in Algebra 2 to spend a year on 'sideways' topics before College Algebra. 

• Like 3

If she's made it halfway through algebra 2, would it be reasonable to try to finish that and then do the algebra sections of a light precalc, calling it algebra 3 or college algebra? If you do go with a consumer math text, I would definitely keep reviewing and working on algebra through the entire senior year and probably some light review over the summer as well. For a struggling student, even a couple of semesters off can often result in a placement below the level of college algebra -- furthermore, many struggling students fail to pass college algebra when it is the only math class required and need to take it more than once, and any preview (this is where the algebra sections of a light precalc class come in) will help her. Don't worry about the trig, though (including the trig in algebra 2 if there is any in the curriculum you're using), it's often not covered in college algebra and if it is, it's very basic. 

Could you transfer in Pre-Algebra (from homeschooling) that could count as the 4th year? Or, can you just count Algebra I and II as three years?  We took three years to do Algebra I and II with a couple of my kids.  Or, could you count Algebra I as one year, Algebra 2 as one year, Geometry (which is what I assume you have already) as one year, and then choose one or two of the following as one year:  Trig/Consumer Math/SAT Math Prep, even if you do it in one semester.  (Some high schools do have a block schedule where they do an entire year in one semester, just like in college.)

If you go that last option, whichever one you choose, I'd just do as much as I could in one semester and call it a year.  

• Like 1

Credits in Algebra2A and Algebra2B are not unusual.

This is an option in every public school district I know of now. No one should bat an eye at it, but if they do, I'd rename the second year Intermediate Algebra which is just Algebra 2 at the college level. 

I just want to say as the homeschooling parent of a highly talented, performing arts, non-math, conservatory-bound kid I am loving this thread!  We, too, are playing with wording to accommodate her need to take longer in each math subject.  Our goal is enough math to survive the SAT/ACT  (emphasis: SURVIVE).

Our hope/plan is her transcript will look something like this:

9th:  Math 9 Algebra 1A (which was Pre Algebra w/heavy review and a bit of Algebra 1)

10th:  Math 10 Algebra 1B  (completion of aforementioned Algebra 1)

11th: Math 11 Geometry  (standard course, as much as we can get through, or select topics)

12th: Math 12 Math Connections (will follow Oak Meadow Course Syllabus)  http://oakmeadow.com/news/courses/math-connections/

I really appreciate everyone's perspective. I find it extremely interesting that Algebra 2A & 2B would not be frowned on. I was encouraged until I looked at credit requirements on the umbrella's website.  I'm afraid we would be required to count each part as a half credit. 

• If a student takes longer to complete the course, issue partial credit (.5) for the first half of the course.  The remaining .5 credit is given when the course is completed.

While I "get it", she invested more time on math this year than she has any other year because it was hard for her. I have no reservations about giving her a full credit for getting halfway through the course. But because of the above statement, I think I'll have to call it something other than 2A/2B.   Maybe the "Intermediate Algebra" option is the best option. Although I do have to list our textbook which will be the same as last year.  :huh:  Even if I go with a different curriculum, if it's an Algebra 2 book they may question it.  Hum.   I may just have to take a chance and see what happens.    

I really appreciate everyone's perspective. I find it extremely interesting that Algebra 2A & 2B would not be frowned on. I was encouraged until I looked at credit requirements on the umbrella's website.  I'm afraid we would be required to count each part as a half credit. 

• If a student takes longer to complete the course, issue partial credit (.5) for the first half of the course.  The remaining .5 credit is given when the course is completed.

While I "get it", she invested more time on math this year than she has any other year because it was hard for her. I have no reservations about giving her a full credit for getting halfway through the course. But because of the above statement, I think I'll have to call it something other than 2A/2B.   Maybe the "Intermediate Algebra" option is the best option. Although I do have to list our textbook which will be the same as last year.  :huh:  Even if I go with a different curriculum, if it's an Algebra 2 book they may question it.  Hum.   I may just have to take a chance and see what happens.    

Just add a different book or two to your studies, and list one of them for your charter. 

Edited to add: You might consider one of The Great Courses, especially if they are available from your library. For example, something like The Art and Craft of Mathematical Problem Solving has a good title, and would benefit your dd in her current and future studies. You wouldn't have to work through the guide book, because you have another text for actual problems. You might pick and choose a few that are particularly helpful. 

I list one book on the transcript, and then all of the main ones in the course description. Of course, I'd usually list the main one, but you aren't trying to fool colleges into thinking she had a more rigorous class than she did, you are just dealing with bureaucracy. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 1