Menu

Middle School Math Club

seaben

Hi,

After several years of doing an Elementary School Math Club, I'm switching to the Middle School level. I was curious if anyone else here is running one for 6th-8th graders? Right now, I'm trying to decide on the focus and structure going forward. The big existential question is whether to continue running like a math circle with occasional contests like AMC or MathCounts or to adopt a new format. There's the pre-canned MathCounts material but that doesn't thrill me much.   Other questions I've been pondering:

* Will the kids be more focused because they are a  few years older, or less because they're teenagers?

* Could I get them to research and present on a short topic or would that be too large of a commitment.

* How long of a problem set will they typically sit for before losing focus?  

* I've used candy (rather shamelessly) to reward kids for bringing back completed problems of the week.  Is that appropriate for older kids?

* Generally what's the best approach if I get a large skill range: it could be as wide as Math 6 to Algebra II.

Thanks

I guess the issue is whether it will be a math circle where kids explore concepts and at depths they would never experience in school, or something like super Kunon that simply reinforces skills. The new 7th grader has been in a rigorous circle for 4 years. His circle is modeled after Berkeley's Math Circle.  Here is a link to Berkeley's..http://mathcircle.berkeley.edu/books   Quite frankly, it it were simply super Kunon, I think his circle would fold.  Almost all of the kids in his circle are mathematically  2-3 years advanced..  

* Will the kids be more focused because they are a  few years older, or less because they're teenagers?

* Could I get them to research and present on a short topic or would that be too large of a commitment.

* How long of a problem set will they typically sit for before losing focus?  

* I've used candy (rather shamelessly) to reward kids for bringing back completed problems of the week.  Is that appropriate for older kids?

* Generally what's the best approach if I get a large skill range: it could be as wide as Math 6 to Algebra II.

Thanks

Most of my middle school students (especially the girls) could sit through an hour of MathCounts review.  Some of my younger boys were pretty squirmy.

I had homework for half the meetings (an old sprint or target round that takes about 30-45 minutes).  Half the time they just show up with no homework assigned (for the team and countdown rounds).  I don't know what their bandwidth was outside of my team, but I'm pretty sure they completed their assignments and showed up prepared.  I figure if they are too busy to participate, they don't sign up.  

I had two one-hour meetings back to back, first group for newbies and the second group for experienced problem solvers.  I let them decide which they wanted to attend, and I had several who attended both for 2 hours total.

I don't like gratuitous junk food, so I didn't provide any food.  I did have one party near the end of the season where we had fun food.  

I accommodated a wide skill range by having the 2 classes as I described above.  Fortunately, my high school daughter took on teaching the newbie kids, so it was less exhausting for me.  

I'm surprised you don't like the MathCounts problems, but it sounds like you are more research-oriented and less competition-minded, which also sounds like fun.  

Good luck! 

• Like 1

I guess the issue is whether it will be a math circle where kids explore concepts and at depths they would never experience in school, or something like super Kunon that simply reinforces skills. The new 7th grader has been in a rigorous circle for 4 years. His circle is modeled after Berkeley's Math Circle.  Here is a link to Berkeley's..http://mathcircle.berkeley.edu/books   Quite frankly, it it were simply super Kunon, I think his circle would fold.  Almost all of the kids in his circle are mathematically  2-3 years advanced..  

Thanks for the book recommendation. It just arrived yesterday and I was already inspired after my quick read of the preface and 1st chapter. 

I was motivated enough to put up a quick book review if anyone else is interested: http://bit.ly/2sZjH0x

• Like 1

Thanks for the book recommendation. It just arrived yesterday and I was already inspired after my quick read of the preface and 1st chapter. 

I was motivated enough to put up a quick book review if anyone else is interested: http://bit.ly/2sZjH0x

Wow! I'm impressed by your review.  I can tell you understand this math. I don't and have maxed out on my ability to assist the new 7th grader, other than to pay for classes and tutors.  His math circle is also run by a very selective university.  Grad math students run the classes. There are roughly 5 groups of 6 students in each class. Each group has an undergrad math major as table leader.  The classes are 2 hours.  Only a problem or two are assigned for hw.   Parents are never allowed inside.    I sometimes listen outside, but the math is Greek to me.  But, the kids love it.  It is quite boisterous--a lot of friendly table rivalry.  The wait list for the middle school level is several years.  The kids who are at this level don't leave. 

BTW another book you might enjoy is Geometry in Problem, Alexander Shen, translated by , and available at the American Math Society site.  My son's circle just completed a geometry class using this book.  It is all about proofs.