Menu

most useful unconventional school supplies

What is/are your most useful unconventional school supplies?  (Things beyond pencils and paper, obviously!)  For us, it's magnetic bookmarks and sticky note flags.  The magnetic bookmarks stay in place even if a book is dropped, and the flags help kids (and me when I check their work) quickly find the right page in workbooks.

Edited by caedmyn
  • Like 3

SparkNotes blank study cards.  They're the size of business cards, maybe slightly bigger, and come 600 to a box.  Extremely useful to keep track of things like history memorization, foreign language, science terms..the box is small enough to fit in a drawer or backpack and have an entire year's worth of material at your fingertips.

• Like 2

When my daughter was young, we got a lot of use out of a lap-sized double-sided white board, blank on one side and with a grid permanently drawn on the other. It came in very handy for math. We used it to help line up numbers in equations, illustrate fractions, figure area, all sorts of things. I just passed ours on to my niece who will be starting with her young son soon. I also liked the Right Start abacus for counting and things because it kept all the little pieces together.

My daughter said the box of geometric solids was very helpful for her.

Edited by KarenNC
  • Like 5

White boards with various dry erase colors. Couldn't live without them

Post note bookmark tabs color coded to kids. Best. Thing. Ever.

I know this is a pen but I could not live without the frixion erasable pens. I color code the kids and use them in our planner. They allow me to make easy changes (plus they are great for writing secret messages and making them disappear with heat and re-appear in the freezer).

Laminator...it sees a ridiculous amount of use because I love me some Montessori 3 part cards. It also comes in handy to laminate pages that children need alot of practice on. Laminating and dry erase are the best.

Watercolor pencils. Surprisingly, we use these all of the time.

Montessori bead material for math. It is used constantly.

• Like 2

My top 5:

lapboard sized / double sized white boards and colored dry erase markers

heavy-duty plastic stackable crates -- 1 for each students notebooks, textbooks, etc.

internet access

electric pencil sharpener

guillotine paper cutter

• Like 1

Date stamp -- I stamp every page we do with the month/date/year.  We've been using it for years, and I just noticed that 2017 is the last year it has.  Looks like I'll be purchasing a new one.

Agree!.  Date stamp is the best thing ever.

• Like 2

Also a folding wheeled crate http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/987304/Office-Depot-Brand-Mobile-Folding-Cart/  I frequently see them on sale for around $15, IIRC. I've used it to haul books and things back and forth to the library and co-op, take to used curriculum sales, etc. 

A wheeled cooler was also indispensable for getting lunch, drinks, and snacks to a weekly park day where we'd stay for hours.

I'm using more card stock than I ever thought I would, but I'm not sure how unconventional that is. Wall timeline cards, covers for ProClicked booklets, matching games, pocket chart cards, definitions/examples to pin up on the bulletin board....

A music stand to practice reciting memory work, reading aloud and public speaking has been handy. We really don't use it for music at this point.

• Like 1

Have you guys seen the new mechanical pencils with colored lead?  I can color code my kids in my planner in PENCIL!!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Paper-Mate-Clearpoint-Mechanical-Assorted/dp/B01N5H8TD5

I am drooling. I have to get these for myself and Diamond when she goes off to college.

School is my excuse to feed my office supply obsession. Post it notes are my weakness.

I don't have much need for it now that my girls are older/graduated, but my life-saving school supply was a timer that counted up for things like timed math facts sheets. If my girls knew a timer was going to go off, they'd freeze and get maybe 5/25 problems done in a minute. When the timer counted up and I recorded the time it took them to finish all 25, they often finished in under 30 seconds. I just recorded the time and the number correct.

I second the Frixion erasable pens. I use them to color code my planner. I tried non-erasable colored gel pens last year and my planner was a mess. I just got my new erasables for my new planner and I am so happy it will not be a jumble of scribbles next year!

My daughter is now also using these pens for schoolwork. She learns better when things are in color and we use color as a tool a lot. For example in pre Algebra, when she learned about combining like terms, she boxed in the like terms in the same color. My brain is not wired like that but using color is an extremely helpful tool for her. We use it in grammar and other subjects where you organize and sort information. The erasable part is very important for subjects like math, traditionally done in pencil. Both my kids seem to favor pen over pencil though.

• Like 2

White board blank maps. They're maybe 11x18" and are just outlines of either the us with state borders or the world with country borders. I got them for all of $4 or so each at a convention and we've been using them for years. I can ask the kids to label state capitals, draw where rivers are, mark mountain ranges, label battles from particular conflicts, draw routes of things like the Oregon trial and trail of tears, and so on. It's one thing to see it on a map but the kids retain so much more when they start with something blank and write it in themselves. We use the world one less since the countries are small. I wish they had one for each continent or, better yet, a dry erase outline globe. We also use paper tablets of blank maps but that gets expensive to use all the time, especially when I want to focus on one thing at a time.

• Like 4

I second the Frixion erasable pens. I use them to color code my planner. I tried non-erasable colored gel pens last year and my planner was a mess. I just got my new erasables for my new planner and I am so happy it will not be a jumble of scribbles next year!

My daughter is now also using these pens for schoolwork. She learns better when things are in color and we use color as a tool a lot. For example in pre Algebra, when she learned about combining like terms, she boxed in the like terms in the same color. My brain is not wired like that but using color is an extremely helpful tool for her. We use it in grammar and other subjects where you organize and sort information. The erasable part is very important for subjects like math, traditionally done in pencil. Both my kids seem to favor pen over pencil though.

Love the idea of using them for math. We also use them for grammar. I use Montessori symbols along with any grammar we use so my kids use them to mark symbols above the parts of speech in the appropriate color. I have never had such a love affair with any school supply as I have these pens. I will never be without them :) Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 1

These aren't novel, but all have gotten years of use.

I love these specific sticky page markers. https://www.amazon.com/Semikolon-Sticky-Markers-Vibrant-Colors/dp/B005G1BCPK They can be used and re-used many times, staying sticky. I never had that experience with post it and similar brands. But I use these so often--color coded to child--to mark spots in curriculum. We use them for bookmarks in novels as well. 

I have mini-whiteboards and refillable white board markers. We've gotten tons of use out of those. 

I use a lot of index cards for regular review of content (history, science, LA, vocab). I use them for spelling instruction and spiral review for that as well. 

I like graph paper for math work.

I use my binding machine a lot--makes pdf and self created curriculum much easier to use here. 

Edited by sbgrace

Papermate pink pearl pencil top eraser caps. These are the best erasers ever. I saw people posting about it on here and thought really are they that good and how am I going to use 144 erasers. That was 3 years ago when I finally bought them. I have about 1/4 of the box left and only have one student. They are GOLD. 

https://www.amazon.com/Paper-Mate-Arrowhead-Pearl-Erasers/dp/B00006IFAV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498537905&sr=8-1&keywords=pink+eraser+tops

Frixion erasable ink pens. I have these in blue and red. I'm probably going to get some black ones. I buy these in bulk. They are the best erasable pens ever. I got them from HK years ago and now they are readily available for a good price here. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B7QW6LW/ref=sxr_rr_xsim_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3008523062&pd_rd_wg=f9E3R&pf_rd_r=GBDTQZZVA66Y6CF63ADX&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B00B7QW6LW&pd_rd_w=kyvBy&pf_rd_i=frixion+erasable+pens&pd_rd_r=1XRACRRGHJWW2R9CVG40&ie=UTF8&qid=1498538240&sr=2

Papermate pink pearl pencil top eraser caps. These are the best erasers ever. I saw people posting about it on here and thought really are they that good and how am I going to use 144 erasers. That was 3 years ago when I finally bought them. I have about 1/4 of the box left and only have one student. They are GOLD. 

https://www.amazon.com/Paper-Mate-Arrowhead-Pearl-Erasers/dp/B00006IFAV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498537905&sr=8-1&keywords=pink+eraser+tops

Oh! I forgot about these! They would go on my list as well. 

What is/are your most useful unconventional school supplies?  (Things beyond pencils and paper, obviously!)  For us, it's magnetic bookmarks and sticky note flags.  The magnetic bookmarks stay in place even if a book is dropped, and the flags help kids (and me when I check their work) quickly find the right page in workbooks.

Yes, I love sticky tabs. We use them as bookmarks, but also use green and red ones to mark "start" and "stop" places in a book for the kids. 

Those post-it notes that are sticky on the whole back, rather than just a strip of sticky at the top.  

Full-adhesive post-its--they are great! We use them for our homeschool group's used book sale--they stay really well.

• Like 1

White board blank maps. They're maybe 11x18" and are just outlines of either the us with state borders or the world with country borders. I got them for all of $4 or so each at a convention and we've been using them for years. I can ask the kids to label state capitals, draw where rivers are, mark mountain ranges, label battles from particular conflicts, draw routes of things like the Oregon trial and trail of tears, and so on. It's one thing to see it on a map but the kids retain so much more when they start with something blank and write it in themselves. We use the world one less since the countries are small. I wish they had one for each continent or, better yet, a dry erase outline globe. We also use paper tablets of blank maps but that gets expensive to use all the time, especially when I want to focus on one thing at a time.

Do you know the brand of these? They sound great!!!

• Like 1

Sticky Tabs

Unlined Index Cards

Trampoline 

Dedicated account on the computer for school

Amazon Echo for spelling assistance when appropriate ("Mom, how do you spell X" every two minutes was making me crazy)

Swinging chairs - we sit in these outside, and there is something very inspiring about reading a great book while swaying gently.  Kids love it.

Sharpies - I write on a sliding glass door - lists, maps, etc.  It doesn't come off easily, but when we are ready to take it off and move on, not a problem.

Whiteboard, of course

A comfy couch

Good art supplies

For us, it's sticky tabs and our boogie boards.  We used to use white boards, but DD won a Boogie Board in a contest and we loved it so much that we bought one for each of the kids.  Worth every penny!  We also get more use out of our iPad then I ever thought we would. 

Date stamp -- I stamp every page we do with the month/date/year.  We've been using it for years, and I just noticed that 2017 is the last year it has.  Looks like I'll be purchasing a new one.

I love this idea!  I am adding this to my purchase list! 

• Like 1

Have you guys seen the new mechanical pencils with colored lead?  I can color code my kids in my planner in PENCIL!!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Paper-Mate-Clearpoint-Mechanical-Assorted/dp/B01N5H8TD5

Thanks for sharing!  These are now on my must-buy list.  I might be the only one on the planet who hates Frixion pens.  I found them to be so expensive and they didn't last very long at all!  This looks like a great alternative to give the kids some color options, but still allow for erasing mistakes.  :)

• Like 1

Trampoline.

If I didn't already know you had boys, I'd know now. ;)

ds25 learned Algebra on roller skates.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Sticky Tabs

Unlined Index Cards

Trampoline 

Dedicated account on the computer for school

Amazon Echo for spelling assistance when appropriate ("Mom, how do you spell X" every two minutes was making me crazy)

Swinging chairs - we sit in these outside, and there is something very inspiring about reading a great book while swaying gently.  Kids love it.

Sharpies - I write on a sliding glass door - lists, maps, etc.  It doesn't come off easily, but when we are ready to take it off and move on, not a problem.

Whiteboard, of course

A comfy couch

Good art supplies

This made me smile.  I have a 6' by 4' whiteboard in our hall.  I have an easel whiteboard in our homeschool room proper.  The kids have dry erase "slates".  And still I write on our back door (shopping list, since that's the entrance/exit we use most) and some windows!  We use dry erase on our glass.  I would also get Post-It easel pads and giant Post-It sticky notes to festoon our furniture and window blinds with subject notes (they won't stay stuck to our wall paint, so we stick them to furniture, mini-blinds, whatever else will hold).

Rolling desk chairs, so the girls can scoot instead of constantly getting up to reach.

Skype and text messaging.

Zome tools   :drool5:   Especially when doing bubbles.

• Like 1

YouTube-something for every subject

CD player for audiobooks and music study

Comfy sofa or loveseat

Computer tablet to sit on comfy sofa and watch YouTube videos or read ebooks together during school

Baskets, to organize school supplies in a cozy looking way

Tin cans to store pencils, pens, and such

Index cards for everything from quick bookmark, timeline addition, math flash cards, and spelling words

OneNote app with stylus for schedules, writable pdfs, planning, etc...

Coins for counting by ones, fives, tens, and quarters

Legos for fractions

Dominoes for math-use each side of any given domino for practicing addition, subtraction, or multiplication facts.

Edited by TX native

Thanks for sharing!  These are now on my must-buy list.  I might be the only one on the planet who hates Frixion pens.  I found them to be so expensive and they didn't last very long at all!  This looks like a great alternative to give the kids some color options, but still allow for erasing mistakes.  :)

I'm wondering if the frixion pens have improved significantly since they first came out... I bought them right away, and couldn't stand the smell of the ink. I also didn't like how they wrote- light and skippy.

Maybe I'll try them again, color coding is also one of my obsessions... and I hate writing in Ink on the calendar or planner since so much gets changed or erased...

When my daughter was young, we got a lot of use out of a lap-sized double-sided white board, blank on one side and with a grid permanently drawn on the other. It came in very handy for math. We used it to help line up numbers in equations, illustrate fractions, figure area, all sorts of things. I just passed ours on to my niece who will be starting with her young son soon.

Yes, this. Exactly what I was going to post.

Also a cheap plastic balance with gram weight cubes; dh used it to teach the girls balancing equations ("mystery scales") and simultaneous equations ("double mystery scales") successfully at a surprisingly young age.

I'm wondering if the frixion pens have improved significantly since they first came out... I bought them right away, and couldn't stand the smell of the ink. I also didn't like how they wrote- light and skippy.

Maybe I'll try them again, color coding is also one of my obsessions... and I hate writing in Ink on the calendar or planner since so much gets changed or erased...

I bought mine last year.  I didn't notice a smell. They definitely dried out quickly though.  For the price, I was definitely expecting them to make it through the school year and they didn't even come close.  We do have a Frixion highlighter that is still going strong...though I've never had much need of an erasable highlighter...

That is a brilliant idea!

If only my kids worked at a desk...   :lol:

I will have to think about how this might work.  Most of my kids work on their beds  :leaving: , but it might be helpful if they're working on the floor.

Hmmm.

Blue checking pencils. I use these when I need to write on my children's papers, but I want to distinguish what is my writing and what is theirs. So, for instance, when my children are learning cursive, I write my sample letters and words in the blue pencil, and then they copy their versions in regular pencil. I also use them for copywork (I write the sentence in blue and they write in regular pencil.) I don't know why I love this so much; it just looks really pleasing on the page without being an angry-looking red pencil. 

• Like 2